HJC SMART Irritating!!!

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I apologize now if this comes off as a rant. First one in 8 years here.
Just finished unboxing a new HJC RPHA 90S helmet. Love the helmet as a helmet. Went to move one of my 3 Sena communicators onto the new helmet and found that I cannot mount the existing Sena Boom mic in the helmet. The helmet requires a mic designed by Sena for the HJC SMART 10B or 20B communicator. Assuming the Connectors will fit No problem I'll just order the Mic by itself.....WRONG! Neither HJC nor Sena will sell the mic separately. I considered actually purchasing the HJC unit but I use ear buds not speakers and there is no provision for a DIN plug. Also why would I want to pay $300 for a new communitator that has same features and range as the ones I already have. HJC has not responded and SENA basically tol me to go back to the dealer (in otherwords go pound sand). Anyone else have a take on this?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm with ya on the earbuds. Speakers just can't compete for quiet, noise isolation or wind cancelling features.
From where I sit (with older equipment and no in-helmet comms since the Chatterbox days), there are more and more helmet manufacturers attempting to capture some of the bluetooth and communicator systems market with their own offerings. The drawback, as you have noted, is now everything will move to proprietary systems, making the mix 'n match, DIY system of component selections options nigh on impossible.
Which to me, says I will buy my own helmet with NO built-in electronics, and select my own comms.
As a marketer, I do see the rationale for this strategy, but as a consumer, whenever / wherever I have limited options, I will go elsewhere to keep my selection choices more flexible.
That's my take on this.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Maybe you can find an aftermatket mic, that would fit in.
I bought an HJC I70 helmet last summer. The previous owner of my bike gaved me, when I bought his bike, his Sena SMH10, along with his old fullface.
Now, I bought a new helmet and never played with the Sena. Only now, am I starting to look at it and think about transfering it into my new helmet.

But, what I found today in the Sena SMH10 box, is the original mic. And, I now realised that, for some reason (probably same problem that you have) he used instead, a simple mic, glued on a patch of velcro and held inside the helmet. There is no "boom" on this mike. Just a simple wire, hide inside the helmet, and a connector that plug into the sena.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe you can find an aftermatket mic, that would fit in.
I bought an HJC I70 helmet last summer. The previous owner of my bike gaved me, when I bought his bike, his Sena SMH10, along with his old fullface.
Now, I bought a new helmet and never played with the Sena. Only now, am I starting to look at it and think about transfering it into my new helmet.

But, what I found today in the Sena SMH10 box, is the original mic. And, I now realised that, for some reason (probably same problem that you have) he used instead, a simple mic, glued on a patch of velcro and held inside the helmet. There is no "boom" on this mike. Just a simple wire, hide inside the helmet, and a connector that plug into the sena.
the Sena units come with both a boom mic and wire mic. The latter to be used in a full face helmet on the chin guard. Boom is typically used on the modular flip up. I haven’t given up hope on a replacement mic that fits the helmet wire channel. If need be I will modify the channel in the helmet to accommodate the old boom mic. The new helmet seems specifically designed to exclude the use of any communicator other than the one you have to purchase from them. The helmet I thought was $500 will be $800 by the time I add the HJC Smart 20b and still won’t connect to ear buds. Sad sad sad. Manufacturers don’t do this to provide a better product for the consumer they do it to line their pockets. Next helmet purchase I will be looking elsewhere.

Bike
R1200rt
Heed these words, or have fun losing your hearing. (if you haven't already!)

[/QUOTE]
your starting to sound like my mother.. 68 and I hear just fine

Top Bottom