Homemade front spring installation tool

Bike
Dl 1000, ST1100
Saw it once and now unable to find it. Can someone post a picture or link to the homemade installation tool? Believe it allows you to extend the cartridge. TIA :confused:

Last edited:
I don't remember seeing one but doesn't mean it wasn't posted... hopefully, someone else knows.

QUOTE=mcthorogood;1649174]PM John OoSTerhuis. I'm pretty sure he's the one that has the homemade set of tools for the ST1100 forks.[/QUOTE]
Will give it a shot. Thanks for the info. :)

If you can get a bent or pitted beyond use fork tube that has the damper rod. Get it and use the old rod and nut to hold the good one while you put the good one back together.

I haven't gotten new pictures up yet since Webshots died, but unless you're doing forks seals and want the whole kit with the fancy damper rod holder, just get a 10mm (1.0 pitch) bolt from the hardware store and a couple of nuts for it. The longest bolt most carry is 50mm which will work fine. Lock the bolt to the top of the damper rod with the nuts and hook it's head with a coat hanger.

The special tools custom made for some of us old timers by Andy Hand are lengths of aluminum rod stock drilled and tapped in one end to 10mm (1.0) and a cross hole I the other end for a T-bar or cord loop to hold the damper rod extended while the spring is compressed and the stopper C-clip is slipped under the locknut. Both of the STOC fork seals R&R loaner tool kits have this custom tool.

John [I don't do PMs on this forum]

OK, I uploaded some more tool pictures to my ST-Riders gallery.

2_damper_rod_tools_1T.jpg Damper_rod_tools_2T.JPG

In case it's not obvious, the bolt version is used this way: spin one of the nuts onto the bolt leaving a ?" of threads exposed, then spin the other nut down onto the top of the damper rod half of its thickness, screw the bolt into the nut on top of the rod and lock it by spinning the other nut down tightly. Hook the coat hanger under the bolt head; install the fork spring, spacer (if used), and washer down over it; pull the damper rod all the way up/out; compress the spring and slip the C-clip under the damper rod's nut. HTH

John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom