Homemade highway pegs (sorta)

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
yeah. So there's no way I'm paying $300 for highway pegs. So I took off the covers and low and behold there are some bars there that items can bolt to!

So I look around for cheap accessories and highway pegs. Hmmm....there's the online retailers (JC Whitney type folks), but I wanted to see them myself. So where do you go when you're looking for stuff to bolt on a motorcycle? A HARLEY DEALERSHIP!!!

So I explain I'm looking for some cheap bolt-on highway pegs. Boom. Up on the on wall are some $40 pegs that say Harley on them. As tempted as I was, I chose the $35 dollar ones that only have Harley written on the bottom and are solid black on top.

So as you can see, I bolted them far forward, but on that bar. The pegs were designed for a 1" to 1 and 1/4" bar. Our bars are smaller (7/8" I guess?). So I stopped by service and asked if they had an old inner tube from a bike that they were throwing out. Yup. So I got a busted inner tube for free to cut up and insert as a rubber spacer for the clamps.

Well, after taking off the fairing and bolting it down tight, dremeling the side covers, re-dremeling the side covers to make it fit, dremeling yet again cause it didn't fold up easily and was rubbing, the finished product is very acceptable for $35.

Pros: Cheap. Works. Doesn't look half-bad. Folds up out of the way when you don't want it.

Cons: Because the bar is set in from the tipover part, you can just rest your heel on it. I may in the future look at a way to extend the bar further out or bolt something on/around it to make it longer. Also, it's canted forward EVERY so slightly. But not too noticeable. And I would have preferred flat black to the chrome. But for that cheap, I'm ok with it.

Attachments

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
My only misgivings about those is that they aren't far enough forward to give much leg extension for relief.
That's the issue I always had with the blades. Tried them on somebody else ST13 and knew I wasn't going to buy them because they are in the wrong place for me.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
The best part is that if they don't work, you're only out $35 and a little bit of time. Nice job.

OP
OP
Bike
2009 Wee Strom
I got some tiny legs (30" inseam) so the heel of my boot falls right onto it. But yeah, I did a little experiment first (took off the plastic cover, and ziptied a small piece of wood perpendicular to the bar to see where it would lie and if my feet would extend enough or not)

Alexi

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Had report that rubber shims didn't work to clamp pegs tightly on crash bars. Use metal shims instead.

1. Use one of these calipers to determine exact size of crash bars and peg clamp.
1712448819586.png

2. Once thickness range of required shim has been calculated (measure peg clamp twice, barely-clamped and fully-clamped, average results). Subtract crash-bar diameter from this and divide by 2. Get metal shims of correct thickness. Something like these (sample only, get proper thickness for your particular application). Might need to split and reform curvature on some to fit.

Wald - 1/32" 0.8mm shim
Amazon - 1/16" 1.6mm shims
TiCycles - 1.9mm shims
Cane Creek - 2.3mm shims
Wheels Mfg - 2.9mm shims
AliExpress - 3.2mm shims
JensenUSA - 4.8mm shims
1712445770549.png
Commonly used on bicycles and motos to adapt different size handlebars or seatposts.

Also use hole-saw to make hole in bodywork, will end up looking like factory install! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom