Homemade motorcycle turntable

Bike
'06 ST1300
No more ten point turns to be able to ride out of a small garage. A 1000lb capacity 12" lazy susan from Amazon $14.00, 14" metal cutoff blade from Harbor Freight $4.00, 14"x8" pc of 3/16" steel plate from eBay $25.00. The wood pieces keep the bike from sliding on the steel plate when putting it on or off the center stand. Even though the total thickness is only 5/8" it does make it more difficult for my 70 yr old body to get the ST up on the center stand so I roll the back tire up on a piece of 3/4" plywood before positioning the turntable. Press down on the back of the bike to balance both wheels off the ground and rotate the bike 180 degrees and go. It's compact size can be stored easily.
ttsmall-1.jpgttsmall-2.jpgttsmall-3.jpgttsmall-4.jpgttsmall-5.jpg

My first thought was — CDs are cumbersome enough – who'd want to do vinyl on a motorcycle and roll their own no less?? Ah. Nice work.

Very clever. Now just make a big on to fit in the garage and rotate the car and the bike. Just like the old rail locomotive round house turntables. The you don't need to turn your head to get the car out.:D:D

Nice job Fred , well done . I have found all ready the lazy susan here in Belgium ( amazon.de) . And now the finishing touch....:thumb:
And awaiting the turning moment …..greetings from Luke..

The turning moment has arrived , my creation made by Freds foto's works exellent , turning and handling the Pan European is now very easy when you put a piece of wood underneed the rear tire.... thanks Fred ......

Last edited:
Nice job! Innovative. And I like the idea of the two by fours to keep the bike in place.

I don't know if it would work on a motorcycle, but in the USAF, we used to use two sheets of metal (aluminum?) with grease between them to allow the front wheel to turn side-to-side.

Chris

Good idea !

I simply drive straight in and park, then when it's time to leave, I sit on the bike and roll it backwards.

Reminds me of the original Batmobile that rotated when parked in the Batcave.

"Just a minute, Robin! I have to use the Batroom!"

Great idea. Beats what I have been doing, which is holding my foot on the centre stand lever while rocking and pivoting the bike on one centre stand foot.

Very cool. I use a 3ft x 3ft piece of carpet. Park the bike on the carpet lower the center stand. Apply pressure to the rear of the bike to raise front wheel off of floor and pirouette.

Jealous, I don't have the room in the garage to rotate anything, I have to back the car out to work on the bikes.

Very clever. Now just make a big on to fit in the garage and rotate the car and the bike. Just like the old rail locomotive round house turntables. The you don't need to turn your head to get the car out.:D:D
When we replaced our driveway, I was seriously interested in a turntable to do exactly what you suggest because the distance from the garage door to the property line was so short. There is a company (probably more than one) that makes air sliders for turntables and for moving heavy machinery. The turntable would have even included an air powered motor to rotate the platform and car. The whole project fizzled because of heating to prevent icing and drainage problems. Those requirements made the cost prohibitive.

I got the idea from customers' houses. There are more than a few turntables in private home garages in Cleveland dating back to the first half of the 20th century. Most, however, have fallen into disrepair.

Please sing this in your head as you read. Phantom of the opera esch. “Here is an aid to your imagination”

Attachments

• 008C0DC6-74CE-4BAA-AB5B-11F8CC0B80AE.jpeg
    008C0DC6-74CE-4BAA-AB5B-11F8CC0B80AE.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Obo
TK-Maxx-01.jpg

All.That.Jazz.

ethan-suplee-on-chance-1284e28086c397e28086856.jpg

Awesome.

Top Bottom