Honda 919 test-ride and impressions

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Finally had a chance to take out a used '05 919 for about 30 minutes. Had a great ride and was very impressed. I'm the guy with the ST1300 who was trying to decide on getting either a 599 or 919 instead, and not sure what to do. Here are my impressions, and a few concerns/questions:

+ the bike was very flickable
+ confortable ergos
+ nice compact feeling
+ huge and accessible power
+ over-all quite smooth and refined impression for a "naked" bike
+ rode at 80 mph for about 10 minutes, and was not bothered by wind blast or buffeting (a bit of it might have been present, but I was very comfortable, at least for a ride of that short length)

And here are the concerns and/or questions:

- mirrors only gave a mediocre view of what was behind me. the left one in particular seemed useless.
- with knees tucked in and touching tank, gas tank vibration was distracting and uncomfortable. was told it had a full tank of gas, but did not check to confirm.
- hand grips (with stock grips and handle bar) had a very slight vibration, barely noticeable at first, but as ride progressed hands got a little numb.
- slightly tighter and less comfortable ergos than the ST1300 (which is a pretty darn comfortable bike). legs felt slightly more cramped, and had to lean a tad more for grips. not a HUGE difference, but a difference.

When back on the ST, riding over the exact same roads, the ST felt super refined and luxurious, almost reminding me of smoothness and comfort of a Gold Wing. Still felt a ton of power, and believe it or not, there was slightly MORE wind noise with electric shield in full down position. And of course engine heat from ST (it was 85 degrees out) was way more noticeable, and I plan to do some mods to help with that. Both rides were a BLAST.

I'm still undecided on what to do, and appreciative of any thoughts.

Dennis

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
There is an ad in the Arizona Republic (Phoenix) today that calls the 919 a Sport tourer. No kidding. In my opinion that is darn near the picture of a UJM. Jap Standard, what ever you call it. Not a 'sport tourer'.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
It's definitely today's version of the 'UJM'. The 919's competitors in the U.S. market are the Kawasaki ZXR1200, Suzuki's Bandit 1200S and SV600/1000 and the Yamaha FZ1. All naked our mid-fairing, horsepower bikes that handle pretty well (or very well in some cases). And many are quickly turned into 'hooligan' bikes.

naturally wired

Rides Uwibami+Kura-Okami
Test ride a Viffer!....refined, smooth, flickable, fun !!! v-4 mini sport touring

Neither the 919 or the Viffer has enough power for me! but if you jumped on the 919 why not give the Viffer a try

I'm sure this part will get me flamed for not being a honda but the sprint st is the only other bike I would consider for myself that I don't already own. (great low end torque also!)

On the naked side of things ....CB1000 a 95ish....zrx1200....fz1..(.)
If you don't mind oil cooled I heard the 1200 bandits are nice also

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
+1 on the Bandit 1200s. I had one prior to getting my ST. They are hot rods and live up to their reputation. Lots of 'go-fast' bits for the motor (Dale Walker's Holeshot is built around them). Lots of fun, but after taking one on a three-day jaunt (with soft luggage) last August (in the rain) I realized that I needed 'more', so along came the ST.

Top Bottom