Honda is making a new ST1300 in 2024?

The last model variant in the UK was 2014. Ten years ago. I think the tighter regulations on emissions and the volume of sales did for it.
And no one seems to ride sports-touring bikes any more. Well, if anyone made them.....

Ain't going to happen! There isn't a big enough market to demand them!

Since the Adventure bike craze took over back in the mid to late 2005-2010, the Sport Touring bikes took a dump! Before that, even the 1991 to 1992 ST1100s kept their value pretty good. But after, the prices dropped and that's why today you can still find bargains among the ST1100-ST1300 bikes. I think they have come back a little bit. Seems, every day you hear someone getting excited about buying one, from one of the many forums.

This next Spring, I plan on selling a couple of mine, I hope!

Mine reaches its 70,000 mile mark - which is nothing, but I have never had a bike with much more than 70,000 on the clock. The desire to buy new and cut down the amount of maintenance has always won out. And don't ask me how that works out for me !
So I'm sitting here waiting for someone to come out with a bike that I want to buy. I'm certainly not going to buy one that I don't want to buy.
They brought out the NT1100 which they reckon is a good replacement for a shaft bike with rust free alloy frame, full fairing, stainless steel exhaust, full screen protection, decent sized panniers and superb brakes. I don't think so.

In the UK in 2023 there were 1408 non police ST1100s

In the UK in 2023 there were 836 NT1100s of various sorts on the road.

In the UK in 2023 there were 2891 ST1300s of all years - an increase of 160 from 2022 ! the 2023 numbers had 651 AE and A9 models (The A9 model was the current model in 2013, the AE in 2014), the last two non Police models to be built for the UK.

Of the Goldwings GL1800s that became available since 2021 (ie GL1800 B-M BD-L BD-M BD-N BD-P DA-M) there were a total of 305 on the road in 2023.

That last one is an alarming statistic for Honda - perhaps they are on slow release, but to sell only 305 bikes in 2023 compared to the 160 of (Presumably) done up ST1300s....

I know the figures are not comparable. But I know that Honda look at figures like this.

Oh - I had to look at the CTX1300. 65 on the road in the UK in 2023. The number reached the dizzy heights of 76 in 2017. (Just 33 in the first year, 2014, another 30 the following year).

Good to know that Honda know where their UK market is.

They brought out the NT1100 which they reckon is a good replacement for a shaft bike with rust free alloy frame, full fairing, stainless steel exhaust, full screen protection, decent sized panniers and superb brakes. I don't think so.
Don't omit the zero tip-over protection...
Friend of mine dropped his '23 NT1100... those panniers are E.X.P.E.N.S.I.V.E. ... :oops:

But that's what Honda goes with now, NC and NT engines...

Wanna touring motorcycle... get a GL...

Interestingly are the prices on used ST1100 and ST1300 very stable in the past years...

The NT1100 is the sport tourer from Honda. It has good reviews, wind protection, luggage , heated grips and more. Honda does not want to bring it to the US because they worry about cutting into the sales of the goldwing market.

Mine reaches its 70,000 mile mark - which is nothing, but I have never had a bike with much more than 70,000 on the clock. The desire to buy new and cut down the amount of maintenance has always won out. And don't ask me how that works out for me !
So I'm sitting here waiting for someone to come out with a bike that I want to buy. I'm certainly not going to buy one that I don't want to buy.

In the UK in 2023 there were 1408 non police ST1100s

In the UK in 2023 there were 836 NT1100s of various sorts on the road.

In the UK in 2023 there were 2891 ST1300s of all years - an increase of 160 from 2022 ! the 2023 numbers had 651 AE and A9 models (The A9 model was the current model in 2013, the AE in 2014), the last two non Police models to be built for the UK.

Of the Goldwings GL1800s that became available since 2021 (ie GL1800 B-M BD-L BD-M BD-N BD-P DA-M) there were a total of 305 on the road in 2023.

That last one is an alarming statistic for Honda - perhaps they are on slow release, but to sell only 305 bikes in 2023 compared to the 160 of (Presumably) done up ST1300s....

I know the figures are not comparable. But I know that Honda look at figures like this.

Oh - I had to look at the CTX1300. 65 on the road in the UK in 2023. The number reached the dizzy heights of 76 in 2017. (Just 33 in the first year, 2014, another 30 the following year).

Good to know that Honda know where their UK market is.
John, I'm curious to how many 2012-2023 NC700X, NC700XD, NC750S, NC750XD and the NC700DC Integra are registered in the UK. For some years following 2012 debut it was in the top 5 selling Honda model and #1 in some markets.

Unfortunately the era of big sport touring bikes are over and they ain't coming back :(
Seems the R 1250 RT is the sole survivor...
Kawa 1400 GTR, Triumph Trophy, Guzzi Norge, Yamaha FJR... Honda's ST... all discontinued... (K 1600 is more in the GL 1800 region...)
Harsh emission regs vs D&D costs vs sales numbers vs margins... bean-counters put their foot down...

But they are trying hard to sell us baggers, cruisers, naked, sports, dual-sport/ADV, etc... as "tourers" now ... they are fully convinced of that...
When you google "best touring motorcycle" you're presented with results like KTM 1290 Super Duke GT or R 1250 RS ...
Sorry, neither are in my book when it comes to reliable, usable, comfortable, low maintenance, long distance motorcycle... but in their POV I'm likely considered an old geezer...

You've more chances that China comes up with that Silverwing copy named Starship 6 by PFMoto, but 58,5HP/55Nm in a 600lbs bike will not be the big revelation...
I guess my GF's '08 NT700VA is sportier and way more agile and comfortable than this, besides being more reliable to begin with...

So, let's value, nurture and preserve our old rigs as long as we're still allowed to use them...
Cause the EC is already tacking together some new regs to gain authority about when/that owners will have to scrap their vehicle... mandatory...
Accordingly they also plan to significantly ban/restrict sales of used parts...
The wake of all that omnipresent, religious EV cult we're constantly exposed to...

Great info on the UK bike numbers.

Having become a fan of "less is more" the mid sized bikes have much more appeal to me. The Honda NC750X is so good as to be considered boring but I rode one at similar speeds to my Super Moto through corners and it gave no cause for concern. Not even 1 pucker moment and I was pushing it pretty good too. So many good even great mid sized bikes out there to tour on. Rode the new GoldWing for a couple of hours. In addition to being unnecessarily complex I felt like the bike was riding me not like I was riding the bike.

If you want sport touring how about the new Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello?

@dduelin The info comes from a website. I merely extracted some of it.

The numbers relate to the number of bikes that have applied for road tax each year, So if 100 bikes are registered in the first year of manufacture, and they stay on the road, then the 2023 column includes those 100 bikes every year.

SORN figures are also shown. Statutory Off Road Notification. So if a bike is in someones garage for a year and they pay no road tax, then the bike appears in the SORN figures.

The Uk registration system is not very precise about the model type when it is provided by the shop that sold them, so for an A9 model it may have been registered as an ST1300, an ST1300A-9 or an ST1300A. And there is a differnce between ST1300 and ST 1300. I just noticed that and it adds another 1000 ish to those currently on the road.

Enter "Honda ST1300" will find all of them. "Honda ST" will find more, but some we are not interested in.

You can get graphical displays and 'drill down' to get quarterly figures. And 'New Registrations' is particularly useful info regarding sales.

Happy Chistmas

Last edited:
Unfortunately the era of big sport touring bikes are over and they ain't coming back:(
Pretty sure you're right but it's a shame as us older guys are the ones that can afford them. I rode a Super Duke GT and as fine a motorcycle as it is, I would never take one cross country. I may as well put bags on my Tuono.

Back
Top Bottom