Honda Quartet Harness for Dummies

Bike
2006 ST1300
*Joe, couldn't find a more specific spot for this post - feel free to move it wherever.

Okay, one of these came (not installed ) with my 06 ST. I understand farkles plug into them and that makes life easier - although I admit, I don't know how that occurs exactly.

My question is: Is this device worth putting on in my case? I anticipate having a 12v Hondaline all-weather outlet installed (also came with the bike) or a Powerlet (still debating) to plug my GPS into, and installing heated grips in the future. That's about it electronics wise.

Thoughts?

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
*Joe, couldn't find a more specific spot for this post - feel free to move it wherever.

Okay, one of these came (not installed ) with my 06 ST. I understand farkles plug into them and that makes life easier - although I admit, I don't know how that occurs exactly.

My question is: Is this device worth putting on in my case? I anticipate having a 12v Hondaline all-weather outlet installed (also came with the bike) or a Powerlet (still debating) to plug my GPS into, and installing heated grips in the future. That's about it electronics wise.

Thoughts?

Originally the quad harness was for Honda line accessories. it come with a two pin switched plug, and 2, two pin un-switched plugs, and a 9 pin plug. The 9 pin was for the Honda line radio offered in Europe that nobody buys because of price. I have my CB plugged in to the switched plug and two GPS's into the other un-switched plugs. The nine pin is reserved for later use. If you are going to add aux lights and heated grips and other heated gear an aux fuse panel might be a better way to go. More current carrying capacity. My quad harness was only $15.00 eight years ago.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm running my GPS, radar detector, TPMS, J&M CB, and Hondaline 12v outlet through the quartet harness. I've also done the wiring for the heated grips, but haven't installed them yet. The Powerlets for the Battery Tender and Gerbing heated liners are wired directly.

Bike
2006 ST1300

Thoughts?
If your question is will it work then, yes, it will. My 06 came with one as well, but being the anal guy I am I removed it and wired my farkles directly. But in the real world, the Quartet harness is made for just what you want to add to your bike.

Mark

Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm reading up on the quartet harness and it sounds like the way to go. I want to get my GPS powered up , and am thinking of heated accessories down the road. Where's the best place to buy the harness? Anyone have a link?

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I ordered mine from the dealer in '06, when I bought my bike. As Chuck mentioned above, it's surprisingly inexpensive. Even a substantial percentage discount won't yield a great savings, in this instance. By the way Electrical Connection (http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm) has the Hitachi connectors that will mate with the Honda harness. I've dealt with them a couple of times; the service was good.

Bike
2006 ST1300
You can get the Quartet Harness online .... part number is 08A30-MCS-100
I bought mine from ??? think it was Ron Ayers. $15.70
There are some available on ebay but you will pay about $10.00 more.
It was the most surprisingly inexpensive OEM item I have ever bought for my bike.
:plus1: on the "Electrical Connection" link that Roger refered.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm reading up on the quartet harness and it sounds like the way to go. I want to get my GPS powered up , and am thinking of heated accessories down the road. Where's the best place to buy the harness? Anyone have a link?
If you don't have one, I'd recommend against installing one, but that's just me.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I ordered mine from the dealer in '06, when I bought my bike. As Chuck mentioned above, it's surprisingly inexpensive. Even a substantial percentage discount won't yield a great savings, in this instance. By the way Electrical Connection (http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm) has the Hitachi connectors that will mate with the Honda harness. I've dealt with them a couple of times; the service was good.
For those looking for those connectors, make sure you scroll through the shipping options. Their default ground shipping came to $16.03 for $6.25 worth of connectors! Scrolling through the options found a couple $5 shipping options. So don't just use the default...

Jim

Bike
2006 ST1300
+1
Just go ahead and bite the bullet now. Install an aux fuseblock.
You can thank me later.:D
I agree that an aux fuseblock is OK to have but for what you are doing I think you are on the right track.

You have the Hondaline outlet so that will plug right in.
If you add heated grips later you will have the power right there as it is designed to do that.
It would not be a big deal to add a powerlet socket for you GPS and if you ordered your powerlet from eastern Beaver Jim could put the right Hitachi end on it for you.
He is a great guy to deal with.

If you go crazy with adding running lights etc. then it make sence to add the fuseblock.

If I read your question correctly you were going to have someone do this for you, if so it can get expensive in a hurry.

Can anyone post the part number or numbers to order from electricalconnections.com for the three pin connectors and wire ends?

Thanks,

Len

The install is done. Zumo 660 and a volt meter. Thanks to all for tips, information and advice.

I ordered the Hitachi connectors from electricalconnections.com. At the low price shipping ($5.25) they arrived in 3-4 days.

Len

Hi all,

OK, so my wife's uncle gave me his 2000 ST1100. Styling.

I found a pair of heated grips (Honda!) and want to install them. I have the quartet harness but don't see the 9 pin connector anywhere to plug it in... Anyone have suggestions? Trying to avoid splicing into another circuit - but I guess that is the option. The quartet harness says it is for the st1300 - do the st1100 not have this connector?

I am a bit overwhelmed after taking all the tupperware off - I hope I can get it all back together!

Thanks, and HELP!

G

Bike
VStrom 650
Hi all,

I found a pair of heated grips (Honda!) and want to install them. I have the quartet harness but don't see the 9 pin connector anywhere to plug it in... Anyone have suggestions? Trying to avoid splicing into another circuit - but I guess that is the option. The quartet harness says it is for the st1300 - do the st1100 not have this connector?

I am a bit overwhelmed after taking all the tupperware off - I hope I can get it all back together!

Thanks, and HELP!

G
As far as I know this is 13 only. If you post on ST1100 techs someone who's fitted them to an 11 will give an answer, I suspect you will probably connect via an inline fuse or separate fuse box install. I know it's a little late but always photograph before disassembly and keep fittings separate.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Hi all,

Thanks, and HELP!

G
Congrats on your 2000 ST 1100.

As far as I know this is 13 only. If you post on ST1100 techs someone who's fitted them to an 11 will give an answer, I suspect you will probably connect via an inline fuse or separate fuse box install. I know it's a little late but always photograph before disassembly and keep fittings separate.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Thank you for the response. Yes I looked at the full schematic. The St1100 had a single 5amp accessory wired in. I used a vampire connector to that and had to run wires from next to the battery (where the wires were exposed) up to the front. This worked quite well. The grips only are on when the ignitiion switch is on. The nice think about the honda grips is that if the voltage is low they will shut off - makes sure they don't kill the battery. The most stressfull part of this was putting all the tupperware back on!

Top Bottom