Honda ST1100 Motorbike Lift/ repair maintenance

Bike
Honda St1100 2002
Hello everyone,
This forum is the best “go to place for Honda ST1100“
This is my first Honda ST1100 P (2002) I live in Norfolk England and winter is here, so time for motorbike repairs!
I have a garage for my bike and try to do all my own maintenance / repairs........on the floor of the garage. !!!! Not good for my back.

Time for a motorbike lift.

Please can anybody give me some advise and guidance on what lift to purchase.
Many thanks David.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Welcome from S.E. Georgia U.S.A. There will soon be many replies on motorcycle lifts.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Welcome, Go to your local motorcycle repair shop and see what brands they use. Over here we can buy a cheep Harbor freight one or a better brand called Handy. Across the pond I have no idea what you’ll find for brand names and quality.

I have the ABBA Skylift for my bikes, not a "normal" lift, but is decent quality and easy to work with once you're used to it.

I would love a table lift, but don't have the space for one, and this is a good compromise.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Below is what I learned from experience after having bought one of the cheap consumer level lift-tables. If I were doing it again, I would spend a little more money and get a better quality table more similar to the commercial ones that are used in motorcycle shops, which is what I suggest if you are willing to spend the money and have the space. You don't need the most expensive commercial model like is found in a motorcycle shop. There are many available that have similar features but are not quite as big or expensive.

The more expensive ones similar to what is used in a motorcycle shop have wider decks than the cheap consumer level lift tables. The extra width allows for easier loading and unloading because they are wide enough to use the the side-stand on the table. This makes it much easier to load and unload the motorcycle, especially a heavy one like an ST, because you can rest the motorcycle on the side-stand while getting the straps organized. This is all feasible with the narrower tables, many of us including myself do it, but it is much easier and with less risk of dropping the motorcycle if you can use the side-stand, especially if you are doing this alone.

The more expensive ones also have a drop away section at the rear to facilitate rear wheel removal. The cheaper ones usually only have a section that is removable like a trap door, but the frame stays in place and remains in the way. Some also have a drop away front section to facilitate front wheel removal as well.

The better ones also have a much more secure locking system that allows you to securely lock the table in place at many different heights. The cheaper ones use a steel rod inserted through a hole as a lock. They normally will only lock in two positions. If you wish to maintain the lift at any other height, you must rely on the hydraulic cylinder for your safety. The more expensive ones will also lift higher than the cheaper ones. This makes a difference if you are working for several hours at to low of a height and always have to be bent over.

Air operated hydraulic is common now. I recommend this option, it is just easier to operate the lift.

Purchase a centre lift to go with it. Many of the more expensive ones can be purchased with it as an option. They provide a lot more stability and flexibility in performing maintenance.

None of these advantages are insurmountable if the cheaper consumer level table is all that you can manage. I, and many others on this site, use the cheap narrow lift-tables that are commonly sold at consumer outlets. We all do what we need to do with them, and there is no question that they are far superior to working on the floor. However, if you don't mind the extra money and have the space for a wider table, treat yourself. In hind-sight, I would have.

Not the greatest piccie but here's mine supporting my old Guzzi. Around £450 a few years ago and definitely wouldn't be without it. The only issue I have is pushing the Pan up onto to it, so maybe bare this in mind when choosing. It's got to the point where I'll be fitting a small electric winch on it to pull the bike onto it safely. 20211203_182508.jpg

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
............ If I were doing it again, I would spend a little more money ....................
In my experience it's not a little more money, it's at least 2 - 3 times and much more vs. the cost of a PA or HF lift. The PA lift I purchased 3 years ago was about $799 list, $480 on sale and it's the hydraulic / pneumatic 1,000 lb model. I actually got mine in great shape for $200, a steal really.

Atlas was a company I did look at and the lowest price I found then was about $1,500 and prices seem to have got up significantly. Great lift though.

I suspect that in the UK a relatively cheap consumer type alternative is not going to be available and the OP would be looking at a commercial lift at a very dear price.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Not the greatest piccie but here's mine supporting my old Guzzi. Around £450 a few years ago and definitely wouldn't be without it. The only issue I have is pushing the Pan up onto to it, so maybe bare this in mind when choosing. It's got to the point where I'll be fitting a small electric winch on it to pull the bike onto it safely. 20211203_182508.jpg
I've seen operating rooms that weren't as clean looking. Might be a bit tight, but it looks great.

I've seen operating rooms that weren't as clean looking. Might be a bit tight, but it looks great.
Thanks! It's actually a 20 foot shipping container outside my business workshop. Would've been nice to have a 40 foot Hi-Cube but there wasn't space...

It works well what with it being heated and running a dehumidifier 24/7, the bikes are very happy in there

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
In my experience it's not a little more money, it's at least 2 - 3 times and much more vs. the cost of a PA or HF lift.
Not quite 2 - 3 times.
Currently the cheap Princess Auto 27" wide lift-table that you are referring to is priced at $900.00. I can buy a brand new better quality higher weight rated air/hydraulic 48" wide lift-table with fold away sides that is extendable to 97" long which also includes a real front wheel clamp for $1350.00. Granted, that is 50% more expensive, but it is not double the price, and I would have happily paid that amount extra had I been a better shopper.

OP
OP
David@Norfolkbiker
Bike
Honda St1100 2002
Not quite 2 - 3 times.
Currently the cheap Princess Auto 27" wide lift-table that you are referring to is priced at $900.00. I can buy a brand new better quality higher weight rated air/hydraulic 48" wide lift-table with fold away sides that is extendable to 97" long which also includes a real front wheel clamp for $1350.00. Granted, that is 50% more expensive, but it is not double the price, and I would have happily paid that amount extra had I been a better shopper.
Wow what great feed back....

Thank you all for your detailed write ups and great photos.

I have a much better idea on what direction to go when
buying a motor bike work lift.

Safety at my age is paramount, as I have so much more
to do and see, don’t really want to end up with a ST 1100
on me but me on a ST ???

The wider platform lift appeals to me as the ST is so big,
Also the air hydraulic is better and quite. Rear wheel
removal through a bottom hatch system would be good.

What I am reading from you guys is basically, spend a little
bit more if you can and not go cheap. Time to get shopping.

Many thanks and keep safe.
David.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Not quite 2 - 3 times.
Well, no one would ever purchase a PA lift at full price, it's on sale every 3 - 4 months and the new sale price is about $550 now with the higher $900 list price. It's like the Can Tire socket set listed at $800 that is on sale once a month for $200. Does the $1,350 unit (which one is it BTW) ever go on sale? I suspect not, so the effective cost is 2 - 3 times what you'd pay for a PA unit.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Well, no one would ever purchase a PA lift at full price, it's on sale every 3 - 4 months and the new sale price is about $550 now with the higher $900 list price. It's like the Can Tire socket set listed at $800 that is on sale once a month for $200. Does the $1,350 unit (which one is it BTW) ever go on sale? I suspect not, so the effective cost is 2 - 3 times what you'd pay for a PA unit.
Agreed, I purchased one of these on sale for $500.00 myself. The sale price and what an item is valued at are not the same thing however. When I am researching and trying to determine value, i.e. the quality and features for the price relative to what other sellers are offering at their price, I prefer to compare apples to apples. Princess Auto has valued their table (rightly or wrongly) at $900.00 regardless of what it goes on sale for. What a person might actually end up paying for it based on sales, clearances, liquidations, etc., is another matter that does not change that it has been valued at $900.00 by the seller.

As an example, the place selling the lift-table that I referenced have a sale every year, presumably to get rid of stock that they haven't sold. They usually have a couple of tables for sale at half price. I could have used that sale price as a reference and stated that this better quality table could be had at more or less the same price as the Princess Auto sale price. I don't think that that is helpful information to provide to someone who is trying to compare one product to another because that deal may not be available to them where they are. I think that it is more reasonable to reference what the items are normally priced at so that a fair comparison of their value relative to each other can be made. Once a person decides which item best meets their needs, it is up to them to find the best price that they can.

To answer your question, the place that I quoted the price from is below. It is a local business, but similar quality and price tables are available everywhere with a bit of research. Yes, I do know that I quoted what is listed as a sale price. The reason for that is because they perpetually, for at least the last five years, have this $100.00 discount listed, which I believe is an illegal marketing practice, so in essence this is their regular price in my mind.

Tabledemoto.com

The only reason that I don't have a better quality table myself is because I had already purchased one of the cheap Princess Auto Chinese manufactured tables before doing any research. I wasn't aware that these other intermediate quality options existed at a manageable price. If I had been, I would have bought a better quality table. This is the salient point that I was making to David, that a better quality table can be had that is superior in quality and function to the cheapest tables found on-line. They are available without the need to spring for the very expensive high quality tables that are found in motorcycle shop service bays. He may not have been aware of these intermediate options, as I wasn't, and which I think are worth the extra money. Hopefully the information will help him to find the lift-table that he finds to be the best value for his needs.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The wider platform lift appeals to me as the ST is so big
if you can't/don't want to push the ST up, you could place two boxes aside as "outriggers" and ride it up
Rear wheel removal through a bottom hatch system would be good.
I bolted that trap door shut... it's forward edge ends right where the ST's main-stand comes down; managed to get it entangled there once... :scared2:
After solving that maneuver without dropping the ST <ufff!> the cordless drill came out and some hinge-bolts fixing that lid now once and forever; taking the 4 bolts for the rear fender out costs me like under a minute, the added strength of the base due a secured hatch instead: priceless! :cool:

I also replaced the safety barrier with a wider one (used the old part as floor-anchor) plus improved the linkage for the lowering valve...

IMG_20191027_110433.jpg IMG_20191027_110614.jpg IMG_20191027_110652.jpg IMG_20191027_120117.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
David@Norfolkbiker
Bike
Honda St1100 2002
if you can't/don't want to push the ST up, you could place two boxes aside as "outriggers" and ride it up

I bolted that trap door shut... it's forward edge ends right where the ST's main-stand comes down; managed to get it entangled there once... :scared2:
After solving that maneuver without dropping the ST <ufff!> the cordless drill came out and some hinge-bolts fixing that lid now once and forever; taking the 4 bolts for the rear fender out costs me like under a minute, the added strength of the base due a secured hatch instead: priceless! :cool:

I also replaced the safety barrier with a wider one (used the old part as floor-anchor) plus improved the linkage for the lowering valve...

IMG_20191027_110433.jpg IMG_20191027_110614.jpg IMG_20191027_110652.jpg IMG_20191027_120117.jpg

Handy to see your photos and the pitfalls you have managed to solve with a bit of “mind over matter”

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
I’ve had two motorcycle lifts, including the PA air over hydraulic unit. I built two boxes to walk up as I put the ST on it, which then went under the ends as security blocks.

I just replaced the last one with a Quickjack 7000SLX for lifting my cars, which with a ridiculously expensive accessory plate, can be converted to a motorcycle lift. Since I am thrifty, I toured the interweb and found some ideas to build my own. So for about $75 in materials…

image.jpg

That bit at the back is a ramp. Fully tested (so far) with a 7 year old grandson.

image.jpg

That’s the hydraulic end of the system.

The first bike going on it tomorrow, assuming I finish the table, will be an 83 V45 Magna that I was given. Planning to make that one serviceable, assuming required parts are available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom