Honda Super Cub?

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I just sold my ST leaving me with a '78 CB550 and an '08 GS. To fill the hole in my heart and space in the garage I'm thinking of buying a new Super Cub (or a used one that's not last year's horrible black-out scheme.) I've got a daughter who got her M1 over the Xmas holidays who seems to think she's above the Super Cub (she's not), a wife who used to ride a Yamaha C3 scooter and liked it except for the very uncomfortable seat and a second daughter who very much wants to get her M1 and ride a Super Cub. Seems like a perfect trainer for everyone before we move to the CB for learning how the clutch works, then to the MSF. Shoot, just running down to the grocery store for a few things seems a ton easier than rolling out a big bike. I think I'd enjoy it.
Thoughts?
Seems like a no-brainer since it's a Honda and the roads around here are all 25-30mph and scenic. Fuel injection and big wheels are nice.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
I just sold my ST leaving me with a '78 CB550 and an '08 GS. To fill the hole in my heart and space in the garage I'm thinking of buying a new Super Cub (or a used one that's not last year's horrible black-out scheme.) I've got a daughter who got her M1 over the Xmas holidays who seems to think she's above the Super Cub (she's not), a wife who used to ride a Yamaha C3 scooter and liked it except for the very uncomfortable seat and a second daughter who very much wants to get her M1 and ride a Super Cub. Seems like a perfect trainer for everyone before we move to the CB for learning how the clutch works, then to the MSF. Shoot, just running down to the grocery store for a few things seems a ton easier than rolling out a big bike. I think I'd enjoy it.
Thoughts?
Seems like a no-brainer since it's a Honda and the roads around here are all 25-30mph and scenic. Fuel injection and big wheels are nice.
I like the cub. Could be because I owned a brand new C50 in 1971. Bit overpriced new here in Spain. Found a 2020 with 7000kms for €2900.

Cub.png

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Here in the states, a Super Cub at a dealer is the same money you can buy many STs for.
Even used ones are going for (what I call) big money for what you get, but it's all relative.

OP
OP
Smudgemo

Smudgemo

Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Here in the states, a Super Cub at a dealer is the same money you can buy many STs for.
Even used ones are going for (what I call) big money for what you get, but it's all relative.
True. I'm as cheap as the next guy, but big wheels, no clutch, ABS and a gear position indicator are big for rookies that should learn how to ride gradually and comfortably.

First farkle would be adapting the waxed canvas panniers I used to run on my Bonneville.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
His daughters might not be as comfortable on even one ST compared to an SC. I really like the SC partly out of nostalgia but it's design is of an iconic genre.

OP
OP
Smudgemo

Smudgemo

Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Another Mother's Day in the books, and a Super Cub has replaced the ST. Now I'm teaching daughter #2 how to ride and she's dying to be able to go off on her own legally. It's only a 125, but it goes plenty fast where roads top out at 25-30mph. The dealer installed a rear rack and I added a Wald wire basket that will be suitable for all sorts of grocery runs or commuting to work or school.

52899156385_5b059ac268_c.jpg

52898764666_ab9394e47a_c.jpg

52897456545_a94b1caf81_c.jpg

I'm about ready to cut the heel shifter off and reposition it downward or further back or something, though. I can't ride on the balls of my feet w/o resting my heel on the shifter. I tried to reposition it but I'm not sure the front shifter is better in a higher position. Maybe I can find one from a breaker and experiment. It also needs a sidestand, but so far it's a hoot to ride.

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
Another Mother's Day in the books, and a Super Cub has replaced the ST. Now I'm teaching daughter #2 how to ride and she's dying to be able to go off on her own legally. It's only a 125, but it goes plenty fast where roads top out at 25-30mph. The dealer installed a rear rack and I added a Wald wire basket that will be suitable for all sorts of grocery runs or commuting to work or school.

52899156385_5b059ac268_c.jpg

52898764666_ab9394e47a_c.jpg

52897456545_a94b1caf81_c.jpg

I'm about ready to cut the heel shifter off and reposition it downward or further back or something, though. I can't ride on the balls of my feet w/o resting my heel on the shifter. I tried to reposition it but I'm not sure the front shifter is better in a higher position. Maybe I can find one from a breaker and experiment. It also needs a sidestand, but so far it's a hoot to ride.
Nice. At least it will be a lot easier to put on the centre stand than the ST:cool:

OP
OP
Smudgemo

Smudgemo

Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
That's a great looking scooter!
I agree. And I'm finding it really is a great bridge for taking the MSF for someone who knows how to ride a bicycle but is otherwise 100% new to moto. I can introduce the clutch in a week or so using the old '78 CB550, but for now concentrate on everything else they will expect. Looks like a lot of chances to take the course down in the lot across from the USS Hornet.

Top Bottom