How Bad is the heat?

I read and hear that the ST puts out a lot of excess engine heat on the rider's legs. I live in a very hot area during the summer. How bad is the heat and can it be corrected for hot weater riding? thanks

Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
It is subjective. I personally don't feel there is anymore heat from this bike as there was from my 84 Magna. I am currently riding with my inner cowls removed and there does seem to be a difference but again, it was not really very bad to begin with. I call my inner cowls my heat generators and I am planning on putting them back in as it gets cooler to take advantage of the extra heat them provide. HTH

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I agree with TxRebel - it's a subjective thing. My '03 ST :03biker: came with the CalSCi Hot Wings already installed by the previous owner. He apparently felt there was a heat problem. I've had them off and on and don't really notice a difference unless I'm wearing tennis shoes (my bad). :nuts1: There is definitely more heat without the wings but it isn't objectionable to me.

Moderate to hot weather (75-100 degrees) with my boots on and I don't feel a difference at all. Cool to moderate (55-75 degrees) and I can just feel some warmth at the soles of my boots.

I think you're going to get as many answers as riders. If you are able, try to find someone in your area that'll let you ride their ST and you can make up your own mind.

Fred

I think that different STs produce different amounts of heat. My dads bike is hotter than mine, but neither produces enough heat to make me not want to ride them.

Scott

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Not bad. Almost a myth. It was 100+ here, it was hot everywhere EDIT: outside, not just on the bike.

I've been as hot on my other bike. Do not fear the heat... :D

Tom de

Last edited:

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
For whatever reason, after about 15k miles and a switch to Synthetic oil a lot of former heat complainers don't have as much trouble with it. :shrug2: I do believe that the bike runs a bit cooller after some miles. Some are able to farkle it away. It's been a non-issue for me with my 2 ST1300s. Could be my climate though.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
No heat problem here. I spent farkle time to ADD heat so I can ride earlier in the spring and later in the fall.

I only notice "HOT" when riding in shorts at slower speeds in temps over 90. Just on the lower calves. I can avoid this by repositioning my legs until I can speed up. On a scale of 1-10 on "how big a problem is it?", I give it a 1... no problem at all. There is zero discomfort with jeans or proper riding pants.

Bike
ST-1300
I agree it's subjective, but I haven't met someone that has had the "heat" issue in order to determine if it really is a physical thing, or primarily subjective (based on the persons tolerance of heat).

This summer I have ridden every day. I noticed the bike got hot a couple times when I got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and the outside temp was 105+ on black asphalt. Once moving, the bike as a whole cooled back down, but took a little longer than normal due to the high tempatures.

I don't believe it is any more (or less) than any other bike out there. And I also believe that if you are used to hot summers (I live in Houston), that you probably won't notice the heat, unless you aren't moving for a long period of time. (like 30 minutes in grid lock), but then even a bicycle will get hot).

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I think if the heat was a REAL issue, Honda would have done something to fix the problem ala the FJR. ;)

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Brave Salmon said:
I read and hear that the ST puts out a lot of excess engine heat on the rider's legs. I live in a very hot area during the summer. How bad is the heat and can it be corrected for hot weater riding? thanks
I live in Mesa, Arizona and trust me I know hot riding.

I found originally (in Feb) that the bike was hot and did not want to get into the summer with the heat on my legs.

I did some research here on the site and with suggestions added the side fairing deflectors.

That was the ticket and I have had no problems in that area.

For the side pockets I cut out some holes to allow airflow and I have zero issues there as well.

IF YOU HAVE HEAT ISSUES - Do an advanced search with my user name and heat and you will find both subjects!

Have fun!

crinteastwood

Flatlands of Canada
STOC #
STeve1300 said:
I only notice "HOT" when riding in shorts at slower speeds in temps over 90. Just on the lower calves. I can avoid this by repositioning my legs until I can speed up. On a scale of 1-10 on "how big a problem is it?", I give it a 1... no problem at all. There is zero discomfort with jeans or proper riding pants.
Steve: dont tell me that you ride without a helmet sometimes too - like someone else said, "you can wash sweat off, but not road rash". The only time that I go near my bike with shorts on is if she is getting her after ride soaping. Not meaning to flame you , but, dude - dont do that!
Sorry for the hijack - as others have said, the heat is a matter of finding out for yourself - to me it is a non issue - I didnt fall into the mania that some have tried to imply that we have an oven between our legs.
Mick :04biker:

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Brave Salmon said:
Riding an 05, I really don't have a heat problem people are talking about. On a really hot SC day, waiting on a red light, yes, I can feel it, but it's never to the point where it's uncomfortable.

my bandit 1200 or my xr650l had more heat that my st, my vmax had a little less, i never rode my fj slow enough to notice? i have really enjoyed my st on 90+days here in NC. i agree its a very subjective issue, but ive had alot worse, and i love a little engine heat on a cool misty morning!

STOC #
Heat

The bike produces some heat, but not any more than most of the other bikes I've owned. I have recently taken several rides in temps of 103 degrees or higher (slow speeds and higher speeds) and the heat simply wasn't an issue for me. I wear jeans with regular Alpinestars boots and I don't notice the heat. I had fairing wind deflectors installed a couple of weeks ago and they made it even better. Based soley on my experience of riding two ST's in VERY high temps at various speeds I would say don't worry about it one bit. I nearly passed on the ST because of the reports of heat, and I am SOOOO glad I got that initial test ride on the dealer bike.

Good Luck

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
On my SS1K ride I was hot!

... until I took the liner out of my HT overpants.!

I've ridden every day this summer in MA, and when I was hot, it was because it was HOT OUT. The bike had very little to do with it.

Steve :04biker:

p.s. My son says if you want heat, ride a VFR.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
If you've ever ridden a Harley in your climate then you're not going to have a heat issue with the ST. That's just my observation after getting off an Ultra and going to the ST. Riding a V-Twin air cooled engine in hot weather gives new meaning to chestnuts roasting on an open fire. ;)

Curt

The only time I've experienced any heat is when it's so hot I should have taken the cage anyway. That being said it's the faster and cooler :biker:

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
My 03 produces some heat but it's a "dry" heat! :D

Seriously, it does produce more than my Concours did. I don't really notice it unless the outside temp is around the mid 80s or higher. I will probably try cut the inner fairings next spring.

Top Bottom