How can I tell if my alt has been upgraded

Bike
st1100
Hi. And a big hello to all.. I collect my first st1100 1992 model on wednesday. Is there any way i can tell if it has add the 40 amp upgrade,,also is there a plastic plug you can disgard off on way to rr and solder the 3 wires.. I did this on a goldwing i owned 3 yellow wires on the wing.... Regards..jim :):):)

the two a;ternators are very different, but the amin thing is lack of reg/rec next to the battery. the 40 amp is a large vented unit and the 28amp is a small enclosed unit

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I was curious about this too, since I'm going to check out a '95 ST on Tuesday.

Can you visually inspect it without taking anything off?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
If you go here you can see some photos of an upgrade.

Link

Here is a side by side shot of the alternators. The old dirty one is the 28 amp and the clean one is a new 40. As if you couldn't tell... ;)

The alternator is on the left side and back part of th engine as you sit on it. It would probably be easier to see on centerstand but crawl under there and look up along the left side of the engine and you should see the oil filter and the alternator. You won't see all of it but likely enough to see if there are the air vents in the case.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I figured it would look like the vented one, being air cooled. When I check out that bike, if it has the 40a Alt on it, I think I'll not react and pretend it doesn't if the dealer guy doesn't. See if I can bargain it down a bit because it's coming up on some big service, and might need a new alternator.... Evil me. :D

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Heh, heh... wish I quarter... oh heck, make that a dollar, for every time an alt upgrade picture from my albums get posted or otherwise viewed. :)

A USA 95 model will have come with the 28amp, oil-cooled, covered stator alternator as OEM.

John

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Well I got the 95 I was going to look at. Still has the original 28a alternator.

I guess that will get added to my list of mods. I get quarterly bonuses, so I'll look at finding all the parts one quarter, then get in there and fix'er up. I'm going to need to replace the timing belt within the next year. Perhaps I can get both and do both at the same time.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
After you get the parts you can contact John O borrow a set a tools that make the alt upgrade, while not simple, doable...

The timing belt took me a weekend as I took my time to make sure I got everything right (and then it took me much longer to actually hit the starter button! :)).

Top Bottom