how crowded is your cockpit?

PSR also makes a dash shelf like the Migsel

1690588545173.png

as does BikeQuip

1690588623185.png

And finally some more ideas / photos.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything off this site as I'm 99.9% 100% sure it's a scam. I supply it only for the photo references!

Last edited:
as does BikeQuip

1690588623185.png
This is the current version of the Migsel design, not sure if this is the one I've read here where the dash mount holes are misaligned?
My Migsel fit my dash perfectly and was a simple straightforward install.

And finally some more ideas / photos.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything off this site as I'm 99.9% sure it's a scam. I supply it only for the photo references!

I love this review on the "Ram mounts":
"NICOLE - 2023-07-26 -- These are so cute and good quality. Makes you feel chic and fabulous!"

Can't argue with that... What part of the ST doesn't make you feel chic and fabulous? :D

Edit: Looks like the reviews are "floating" and change on refresh. Here's a screen shot:

View media item 508

Last edited:
I made a mount from 1/8 x 1 aluminum and 5/8 aluminum bar, used U-nuts in top 2 push pin holes
Flat bar bent a little less than 90°, drilled and tapped rod, used countersunk bolts20230729_064422.jpg20230729_064359.jpg

I guess I am old school, I sometimes use a Gps mounted between the handle bars. I turn off the fuel mileage screen as it becomes a distraction. I don't own a smart phone either, after watching others with theirs, my old flip phone is just fine. Anything for me that keeps my attention off the road sooner or later makes me nervous. Of course most trips that demand a GPS I have one seated behind me that is impossible to ignore.

I sometimes use a Gps mounted between the handle bars.
Just my opinion of course, but I personally think that this location is a big part of the reason why many people who use a GPS while riding find it distracting. It forces a person to redirect their sight significantly away from the road to see it, which also diverts their attention away from the road. If an on-board GPS is going to be used while in motion I think that the least attention diverting, and therefore least distracting, place for it is up high where the amount of deviation of your eyes away from the road that is required to see it is the least.

I know that there are those who will say that the speedo, tach, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, etc. are down low and they do not present a problem. I don't see these things in the same category as a GPS. We only glance extremely quickly at these gauges, literally a few tenths of a second at most, and we have gleaned the information that we need and our attention is back on the road ahead. A GPS demands a much longer look to aquire the information that we need, especially in an area where there are a lot of roads and therefore a crowded GPS screen. We are still talking small amounts of time, but in a purely hypothetical comparison 6 tenths of a second is still double 3 tenths of a second. My point being that it will always take significantly longer to focus and acquire the needed information off of a GPS screen than the amount of time needed to glean the required information off of a fuel gauge. At 70 MPH, that extra time can put you in harms way faster than you think.

Humans are not as good at multi-tasking while driving as we like to believe. There are many videos available from studies that have been done where cell/smart phone use while driving has been tested. People who are convinced that they can use their phone while driving, and who regularly do, ultimately always crash in simulators and find out that they are not as good as they thought that they were. This includes teenagers and young people who's brains are more naturally adept at multi-tasking than older people. It seems that we view driving (riding) as easy because we do it so seamlessly, but it requires more of our attention than we appreciate. A GPS is no where near as distracting as using a cell/smart phone in my opinion, and these studies seem to agree with that, but it still does require significantly more attention than a fuel gauge does, so I put mine up high in my line of sight and hopefully I have put the odds in my favour.

To Yarz, the above is the reason why I posted the links to the dash shelf. It is my opinion that anything that you add that will require regular monitoring, such as a GPS, should be up high in this location so as not to divert your eyes from the road for any longer than necessary. Items that do not require visual interaction, or very little and infrequently, can be placed elsewhere.

I use my GPS as an upcoming-curve monitor, even when I have no destination set, so I look at it when riding, unless I shouldn't or don't need to in certain situations.

I have it mounted atop the instrument panel, centered at the bottom of the windshield, which is high enough to glance at it and back up without moving my head.

My TPMS receiver/readout is clamped to the center of the handlebar, between the riser clamps, with a camera mount. That's the extent of add-on cockpit displays.

My lights are all wired via relay to hi low beam switch. I did add a switch next to CC control for hi beam off on... The box is my fuse box for all accessories except CC. 1000000067.jpg1000000067.jpg

Attachments

• 20230729_150549.jpg
    20230729_150549.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The only problem with the Migsel style bar/ram ball setup, is you cannot put too much weight on it. I noticed that mine, which was secured to the dash with machine screws would flex slightly* when I went over those asphalt expansion humps on the freeway. For that reason, I often left my cell phone in my pocket and only regularly used the GPS attached to one of the RAM balls.

*Never seemed to be a problem, but I did not like the flexing - due no doubt to the cowl itself flexing. This was due, no doubt to the fact that the clamp was angled toward the rider, cantilevering the gps and its weight away from the windscreen. The longer moment arm put more rotational torque on the dash.

I have a Zumo XT mounted front and center now, and anticipate adding a GoPro and perhaps my Valentine detector.
I still don't trust a RAM mount to isolate my Samsung from vibration, so that stays in the map window or inside the tankbag. The clear map window often has it overheating this time of year, but i agree to not mounting much weight there on the dash.
So far the XT has been solid in the center position.

With the dash shelf, I fabbed up a bracket* under the cowl to lessen the back and forth of the two devices. I had the same two with RAM balls in the mounting holes and it was scary to watch them flex.

* It attaches to left screen arm threads and "lays" between the top cowl and the threaded insert on the cluster.

Back
Top Bottom