How did you hook up your Zumo XT ?

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
My extensive on-board Infotainment System is starting to show it's age and it's time for an upgrade... was thinking to use trhe Zumo XT to combine and simplify different features and looking for some input :

Current set-up :
Noise Cancelling headset wired to Autocom Superpro AVI .
Audio sources hooked up by wire to the Autocom :
- Nokia Bluetooth car-kit 616
- Hondaline Factory radio
- Zumo 660

The Audio quality used to be fantastic, but :
- The Nokia carkit is not weatherproof and is starting to fail (after 14 years exposed to the weather). I have a replacement unit, but i think it is too fidgety to set it all up again.
- FM radio reception in Germany is near non-existent. Change of station needed every 20Ml or so
- Listening MP3 on the 660 is ok, but the storage capacity is limited, and volume control is limited.

My Brother-in-law and riding buddy bought the Zumo XT last year and is loving all the navi features, but is complaining that the BT connections to the two helmets and one phone is always haveing problems. When it works it works, but if the pillion get's off at the gas station, the helmets loose their interconnection, but each stay alive and the XT powers down, and sometimes the connections are restored but many times it requires some re-boot.... So I would not like to use BT for connection to the helmet. I strongly prefer hard-wiring for that.

So my question to you all : Did anyone hook up the XT via wire to a helmet headset ? Maybe even via an Autocom system ? Does it work / can you use the phone via BT connection that way (BT link between zumo XT and Phone, but hard-wired Audio connection between Zumo XT and Headset ?

Any input most welcome !

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...the BT connections to the two helmets and one phone is always having problems. When it works it works, but if the pillion get's off at the gas station, the helmets loose their interconnection, but each stay alive and the XT powers down, and sometimes the connections are restored but many times it requires some re-boot....
Hi Dirk:

That problem might not have anything to do with the Zumo XT navigator.

Multiple Bluetooth connections (for example, helmet to helmet, plus helmet to GPS, in addition throw a phone in there) can be problematic if the pairing is not done in exactly the correct sequence. The connections can also be problematic if the topography of the Bluetooth network is not optimum for all of the devices involved.

With respect to topography of the network, the phone needs to be paired ONLY with the GPS device, and not with any of the helmets. The rider's helmet should be the only one paired to the GPS - the pillion's helmet should not be paired to the GPS. The exact protocol for pairing up the two helmets to enable intercom function varies between manufacturers of the helmet systems.

To successfully accomplish setup of what is a rather complicated Bluetooth network, you need to study the manual for both the GPS and the two helmet systems, and then plan out the topography and also the sequence of pairing. If this is done right, everything should work OK without needing reboots. Be aware that if you pair things up and encounter any functional problems, you need to un-pair all of the devices and start all over again. This may require a factory reset of the helmets - the phone and GPS device usually offer a 'forget this connection' option for un-pairing.

Lastly, you might need to make some concessions - for example, the pillion might need to accept not being able to listen to music from the GPS.

With respect to FM, many current production helmet intercom systems have their own built-in FM receivers. I have been riding around Germany for the last few days (am in Berlin right now) and have had no problems at all with FM reception, other than difficulty finding an English-language radio station.

Michael

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'm running the XT with SC4 Pro advanced and an Apple XR with a Sena remote thrown in. Plenty of music on the phone HD, If you have cell signal everywhere try the "radio garden" app it has every radio station in the world. I do not have a pillion, so only one headset. The XT usually takes over even when not being asked. I turn on the head set and it says "phone connected, device connected, remote connected" all automagicly ( I did the initial pairing). Talking on the phone requires telling the XT to answer, easy enough. Text come across too which is nice, just a a few lines but enough to know. The XT is easier to use than the phone for interaction after the learning curve. I think @CYYJ was correct on some concessions. That being said my helmet pairs to other sena headsets easy so you may not have to work too much if you go down the high end equipment road. Looks like we are just one generation of equipment away from all your dreams. I would guess if you have the "latest" headset, when your pillion came back into range they could just power down and back up and it connects. I have walked into a few stores and my music is still playing in my head.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
When it works it works, but if the pillion get's off at the gas station, the helmets loose their interconnection, but each stay alive and the XT powers down, and sometimes the connections are restored but many times it requires some re-boot....
Have you thought of a mesh communication system (Cardo/Sena)?

I have a Cardo system and the comm connection and Bluetooth are completely separate. And, it's unlikely you'll even lose connection to the pillion when they disembark since the range is so much father than bluetooth.

I connect to my phone via BT and to the pillion by mesh. It's never an issue when either connects or disconnects. The other day we stopped for fuel and I had to move the bike. We stayed in constant communications despite being about 75' apart.

OP
OP
Superdirk
Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
Thank you for the comments. I noticed the XT doesn't have any wired Audio output. Neither does the TomTom550. So wiring up to an autocom system is not possible... Must be a cost thing, but I don't get / accept it. Wiring is reliable, has better audio quality, doesn't need batteries and can be used in a million ways.
Looks like we are just one generation of equipment away from all your dreams.
Actually, IMHO we are one generation PAST my dreams, now this fancy new technology needs to mature to a point it is usable... eeh... for me. Or this old guy needs to adjust his expectations to the available technology. That could be more challenging (one can be solved with patience).

Cheers !

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Thank you for the comments. I noticed the XT doesn't have any wired Audio output.
I figured that this is the crux...
You might consider the Autocom BTM-02A module, which is plugged into the audio input of your Superpro AVI and paired as "headset" with the XT...
Dunno about the sound quality and pairing stability though...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@Superdirk I actually agree with this. While I like most things about my Galaxy S21 phone, I really am annoyed at the intentional omission of the headphone jack on this one (and most new models), as the wired earphones are much easier to wear under a helmet. And all BT earbuds want to fall out, regardless of which tips I use.
As well as a litany of other reasons.
But time marches on with inexorable resoluteness, so those like you and I are left to deal with the changes.
"You got to learn to live with what you can't rise above."
-- Tunnel of Love, by Bruce Springsteen

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... I really am annoyed at the intentional omission of the headphone jack...
Annoyed?!
The omission of audio-outputs on those "oh so new satnavs" would mean that I have to rip all the hardwired audio stuff out my ST... :rolleyes:
Sony stereo, iPod interface, Kenwood radios, PTT switch-block, Autocom ProM1, headsets, coiled extension leads, everything... (and that stuff was $$$...)
And loose the comfort of just plugging in my headset-lead, flick the ignition key ON and GO RIDE! ...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Well Michael, even modern phones with headphone jacks, also have Bluetooth.
I just want it ALL! And I want it all the time!
I mean, is that too much to ask?

EDIT: never mind, on re-reading your post, it seems you agree with me.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the XT and a wired rider-pillion intercom - an Autocom Super Pro AVI.

My 590/5 was wired in and everything worked flawlessly.

The XT has no wires, so it required a Bluetooth module to provide Phone, music and navigation sound to the Autocom.
So Phone-BT-XT
Headset - Autocom - BT - XT

This works almost flawlessly. The Bluetooth Module is an Autocom BTM03, which pairs with the XT when it is turned on and provides all of the sound to the Autocom, and sound from microphone to the autocom for phone calls. Not that I make them, but if I am out alone, I sometimes get a call. The XT alerts me and answers and disconencts automatically.

But as Michael said, for such a system to work faultlessly with BT headsets., the headsets need another BT channel so that they can talk to each other. For headsets to work as intended everything has to go through the XT - but the XT doesn't cater for pillion headsets.

The BTM03 had to be moved from the rear cowl. It is now stuck under the grey nose which contains the screen adjuster slots. In the cowl there was a lot of interference from the ECU.

If I want music, (rarely if ever), I use the XT's media player. Although music from the phone works, it has not been reliable - with pauses every few seconds. I think the BT is at its limit. Connection is fully automatic, but sometimes if my phone has been connected to other device in the house, then it starts up with the wrong connection. You have to remember to kill other connections before setting out - or stop the bike and start it up again when there are no paired devices anywhere near.

Occasionally the BTM03 connection is dropped. Usually after setting off from filling with fuel. I reckon that one device finds another in another car and spends ages trying to connect to that. Also, if the ignition is turned on and then off again before pairing is complete, that can cause problems. Often turning the XT off and then on again - which can be done with it in the cradle, when powered up - is all that is needed.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
OK, I ripped all the wired Starcom (Autocomm-like) stuff out of my bike when I adopted the new technology a couple years ago, and have never been happier.

Here's what my topography looks like: Zumo XT (replaced a 595 this year). Cardo Packtalk Bold comm. I use S-plugs in-ear two-driver speakers. I also use a Sirius/XM receiver. And a Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Here's how it's lashed together. a) The zumo xt is hardwired for power into the bike. b) The Galaxy sits in my tankbag or pocket, and is connected to the XT via bluetooth. The Cardo comm is connected to the XT via bluetooth. The XM receiver is in a protective case mounted on the handlebar next to the XT. It is wired to a bluetooth dongle that is in the tankbag. That dongle talks directly to the Cardo.

So there are two connections to the XT (smartphone and Cardo) and two connections to the Cardo (XT and XM dongle). And I talk to other people via the Cardo mesh. And everything works properly, and everything reconnects automatically after power is shut off and back on. And the music from the XM is muted when a call comes in or a routing instruction comes in from the XT. Call reception and initiation are done thru the XT.

It all works for me, but it didn't happen without some study and learning curve. And my S-plugs plugged into the Cardo give me the best stereo sound anywhere, and outside sound blocking to protect my hearing, because I can listen at far lower levels. And they don't fall out if inserted properly and not pulled out.

If anyone needs a Starcom digital setup, I have a couple of them I can let go for really cheap, and I also have the starcom bluetooth dongle.

OP
OP
Superdirk
Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
Thanks for all the comments... I guess I will try to connect the XT with a BT dongle on the autocom, as the power on/off cycles will be synchronised, it is least likely to bug... If that doesn't work, I will buy a used 595 which is still hard wired... Get back to y'all in a couple of months when I manage to test it out (My BIL with the XT lives only 800km away ;-)...

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Which seems to be the better choice anyway... that XT appears to be full of bugs and "strange features", making it a nuisance down the road...
You might have a peak at https://www.naviboard.de/ before spending the hard earned cash...
I used a 595 for a season - this year I sold it and bought an XT. I haven't noticed any bugs on the new XT that weren't there on the 595, in fact, the XT has eliminated an audio bug that was present in my 595. The biggest thing about the XT that has changed is the screen visibility. I needed a sun shade with the 595 to see it in any appreciable light - the XT is brilliant in any lighting condition.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I use S-plugs in-ear two-driver speakers
Don, can you tell much of a difference between the 2 driver s-plugs vs 1 driver or did you ever have both? I find my 1 driver to bet pretty good.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Don, can you tell much of a difference between the 2 driver s-plugs vs 1 driver or did you ever have both? I find my 1 driver to bet pretty good.
Having never had the single driver ones, I can't give an opinion. However, the duals do have fantastic stereo, including great bass response. It would be interesting to compare them, although I don't know if I'd want to stick someone else's set in my ears. :)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Having never had the single driver ones, I can't give an opinion. However, the duals do have fantastic stereo, including great bass response. It would be interesting to compare them, although I don't know if I'd want to stick someone else's set in my ears. :)
Yeah, mine usually come out with a little brain matter... o_O

Top Bottom