How fast can one safely charge an OEM Yuasa....

Bike
2005 ST 1300
In a bit of a bind....

The STeed sat for a month(shame on me) and won't start.

I pulled the Yuasa YTZ14s out and the case says 1.1A for 8 to 10h or 5.5A for 1h...

Problem is...need to ride in about 6 hours and my charger (Car) does 2/10/20A. I noticed a tender cable attached but am not sure which brand fits it-has a rubber cap exposing a male female connection.

Right now I have been charging at 2A for 30 minutes.

Can the battery handle a 10A burst and for how long if the battery says "Quick" is 5.5A for 1 hr....Is it linear or expo?

Can I do a 10A burst for 20minutes?

I know it's a 100+ dollar battery but I have to get this bike started in 3 hrs.

Any sarcasm free help would be greatly appreciated and I will buy a battery tender as the (male/female with 7.5A fuse) is installed if anyone knows what I am talking about.

Thanks!

"In A Jam" Greg:confused:

Leave the battery connected to the bike, open the side panel exposing the battery terminals (or any other way to safely connect to the battery) - then connect a jumper cable to your car battery (DO NOT START THE CAR)...let it sit a couple of minutes & fire up the ST.

Take the ST out for a spin to charge the battery & don't turn off the engine for a while.

You will need a spare key if you remove the side panel

No..10a is to much, it will overheat the plates and prob damage the battery.

Most I'd push it at are about 3 amps and watch the temp.

BTW if voltage on a 12v battery was below 8-10v, I've never seen them come up to 100% charge. You be at best working on a very weak battery of < 60% total capacity.

Thanks for the tips guys....

Not sure what the V was...I cranked her about six revs and she did not catch...Did not try to kill the battery.

Always fires up...BTW...since I have the tender cable-any recommendations on a battery tender?

Oh...thanks again!

Regards..Greg:)

She started!

Thanks dudes...Common sense prevails(yours) over panic (mine)...Now to order that battery tender...hmmm..which deltran compatible to get?

Thanks a million!!!!:):):):):):)

Regards...Greg:bow1:

Sarcasm free? "Up to your credit limit", was gonna be my answer, but I'll refrain. :D

In a bit of a bind....

The STeed sat for a month(shame on me) and won't start.

I pulled the Yuasa YTZ14s out and the case says 1.1A for 8 to 10h or 5.5A for 1h...

Problem is...need to ride in about 6 hours and my charger (Car) does 2/10/20A. I noticed a tender cable attached but am not sure which brand fits it-has a rubber cap exposing a male female connection.

Right now I have been charging at 2A for 30 minutes.

Can the battery handle a 10A burst and for how long if the battery says "Quick" is 5.5A for 1 hr....Is it linear or expo?

Can I do a 10A burst for 20minutes?

I know it's a 100+ dollar battery but I have to get this bike started in 3 hrs.

Any sarcasm free help would be greatly appreciated and I will buy a battery tender as the (male/female with 7.5A fuse) is installed if anyone knows what I am talking about.

Thanks!

"In A Jam" Greg:confused:

... then connect a jumper cable to your car battery (DO NOT START THE CAR)...let it sit a couple of minutes & fire up the ST.

If you're going to jump from a larger battery, don't leave it connected any longer than it takes to start the bike. With no way to limit current, the larger battery will effectively fast-charge the smaller one, and the longer you let that happen, the more risk there is of causing damage.

--Mark

The battery tender plus has served me well.
@ 1.25amp its inline for the 11.2AHr battery and safe to leave hooked up after the battery has charged and has std gel agm charging profiles.

Glad you got it started.
+1 on having 2 keys when you need a jump DAMHIK.

Reading this post got me thinking. I've been using a Sears battery charger for a couple of years now. Originally on my Suzuki and now on my ST. This is the unit:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Battery+Chargers+&+Boosters#descriptionAnchor

It charges at 2amps for the slow charge. Is that too fast? I have only had the ST on it overnight after a week of not riding it, but I'm going on vacation later this week for 6 days and was planning on hooking her up for a day or two when I get back. I won't be able to ride as soon as I get home because my seat will be out for a Spencerization!

I couldn't see enough detail in the link. 2amp doesn't sound like overkill but it didn't say if it was design for a regular, gel and/or agm batteries. If it's only sitting for a week I wouldn't bother putting it on charge myself.

Congrats on the seat.

I couldn't see enough detail in the link. 2amp doesn't sound like overkill but it didn't say if it was design for a regular, gel and/or agm batteries. If it's only sitting for a week I wouldn't bother putting it on charge myself.

Congrats on the seat.

After reading Mellow's post on understanding batteries, I figured it might be worth putting the tender on when I got back. Especially since I wouldn't be riding it for almost a week after I got home - tough to ride comfortably without a seat :)

Speaking of which, thanks. I'm looking forward to plopping my keister on that Supracor stuff that Spencer uses.

Back
Top Bottom