How hot should the V regulator get?

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Trying to figure out my electrical issue, it looks like my VR has gone south. It's literally getting hot enough to burn flesh(guess how I tested that.....)
I have an old VR from a V65 Sabre, 3 phase on those too, but used an internal system for charging, any way to rig that up until I can get the correct one for the ST?

Need help in a hurry on this one, scheduled to take a course in the AM on the bike.
My luck just keeps getting worse........:(

Don't know the system on the Sabre but if it had separate VR and regulator, it won't replace the VR/R on the ST.

Strap a fully charged car battery on the luggage rack, disconnect the VR/R at the big connector and go to yur class. Plenty of juice for a short day ride.

Don't know the system on the Sabre but if it had separate VR and regulator, it won't replace the VR/R on the ST.

Strap a fully charged car battery on the luggage rack, disconnect the VR/R at the big connector and go to yur class. Plenty of juice for a short day ride.

Trust me, I've though about it. Dang battery won't fit in the saddlebag, and I somehow think the State Police officer running the class may have issues with it bungeed to the rack........

I asked the SabMag list, here was what I got :

<<No, the VF-series regulator/rectifier will not work. The ST has a
field-controlled alternator (even the 90-95 with the 28 amp
alternator). The SabMag is a shunt regulator and WILL NOT WORK on the
ST!!!>>

That came from the Pelican, and he's never wrong. Smart dude. :)

Some other models do use the same VR/R tho I don't have details. There are several old VR/Rs laying around from upgraded bikes.

Tony, I put one of my spare VRRs in the mail to you today.

This part (31600-MS2-601) is also used on CBR1000Fs and XR600Rs of that timeframe, and maybe more (only used the Ron Ayers lookup, not the definitive SH remote desktop version).

Folks here may not know about George's tale of being rescued somewhere in Texas(?) by Robert Bashaw riding many miles with a VRR cannibalized off his CBR100F so George could get home. :) The ST-Riders LiST saved George's bacon, more than once. IIRC, that was also the trip that George needed an emergency tire... slept in a dealership overnight... etc. Typical adventure of our peripatetic traveller, STOC 4. :)

John

It was in Clarksville, AR, John. Robert brought me the VR/R. Next day, ruined a tar in Altus, OK and Chuck brought me one from Wichita Falls.

It's good to have friends. :D

All, if yur name ain't on the RAN list, add it now.

Tony, I put one of my spare VRRs in the mail to you today.

This part (31600-MS2-601) is also used on CBR1000Fs and XR600Rs of that timeframe, and maybe more (only used the Ron Ayers lookup, not the definitive SH remote desktop version).

Folks here may not know about George's tale of being rescued somewhere in Texas(?) by Robert Bashaw riding many miles with a VRR cannibalized off his CBR100F so George could get home. :) The ST-Riders LiST saved George's bacon, more than once. IIRC, that was also the trip that George needed an emergency tire... slept in a dealership overnight... etc. Typical adventure of our peripatetic traveller, STOC 4. :)

John

Back
Top Bottom