How I fixed my flashing fuel guage issue

I wanted to share with everyone how I fixed the issue I had with my fuel gauge going into flashing mode with around 3 bars left. First some background, I have a non-ABS 2003 ST1300. The bike had relatively low-miles when I bought it, ~8000. The flashing-gauge issue happened within 100 miles of my purchasing the bike. I looked on this forum and learned the issue could be related to the fuel-sending unit, however, I'm cheap and wanted to try to "fix" it myself.

The first thing I noticed was how loosely the green-wire fit on the bottom fuel tank. I posted about the arcing it was causing and thanks to people on this forum I was able to understand why it was happening. I fixed the loose connector and immediately noticed the behavior of my flashing-gauge changed, from flashing at the 3-bar mark, to flashing at the 2-bar mark. So while the situation had improved, it was still not ideal.

I then decided to check the fuel-sending unit itself. For this I had to remove the tank, which resulted in a about 2 gallons of fuel spilling through a cracked fuel hose (lesson learned was don't lift the tank unless empty and your hoses are not corroded). Once I removed the tank and the fuel-sending unit, I noticed all of the crap on it. The sending unit was full of "gunk". I used a small toothbrush and some mineral spirits to clean it and viola, my flashing-gauge problem is solved. While I had the sending unit out, I tested its resistance following the manual and confirmed it was within spec; 1-6ohm full and 213-219ohm empty.

In summary; make sure the green wire is properly connected. Make sure the fuel-sending unit is not full of gunk, if so, clean it.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Given the fuel hose was corroded and stiff, you can bet your fuel-sending unit o-ring will be as well. So learn from me and order one BEFORE you remove your sending unit :)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I had the same problem but in my case I got away luckier than you in that I didn't have to take anything apart. I bought a 2009 in 2012 so I have no idea how long old gas had been in the tank. When the problem started I poured in Sea Foam at about double the recommended concentration and let it sit in there for about a week while I wasn't using the bike. I then burnt out that gas and did the same thing again with fresh gas. So in effect I had an elevated level of Sea Foam in the tank for about two weeks. I have assumed that my problem was the result of deposits on the sending unit as well and that the Sea Foam dissolved them as the problem went away and has never returned since.

OP
OP
97rr
I had the same problem but in my case I got away luckier than you in that I didn't have to take anything apart. I bought a 2009 in 2012 so I have no idea how long old gas had been in the tank. When the problem started I poured in Sea Foam at about double the recommended concentration and let it sit in there for about a week while I wasn't using the bike. I then burnt out that gas and did the same thing again with fresh gas. So in effect I had an elevated level of Sea Foam in the tank for about two weeks. I have assumed that my problem was the result of deposits on the sending unit as well and that the Sea Foam dissolved them as the problem went away and has never returned since.
Nice

I would have done the filter since it was open....ride safe ride far

Top Bottom