How important is the Ring Stopper?

So I'm replacing the pads and noticed the rear ring stopper could probably use replacing. What is it's function? After ordering many parts several times and waiting I'm anxious to get it on the road before our season comes to an end. Is it good enough to run as is? I may try making my own but if I can't I don't really want to wait another 7-10 days to get them. IMG_20210901_122016222.jpg

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The ring retains grease and prevents moisture intrusion. Without it grease could escape and find it's way to the disks or moisture could get in causing corrosion and seizure of the pin to the caliper. Yup, pretty important.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I think it's just to stop vibration. You can use it without it for a short time as many of my cars have had those taken off or lost. :)

OP
OP
Neiko1967
Well I ran to Menards and found a grommet that was close. I just had to shave it to fit. It was snug going in.IMG_20210901_124754057.jpg

OP
OP
Neiko1967
I already cleaned up the Pistons. The middle one doesn't seem to want to go in by prying a screwdriver in there. Didn't want to pry to hard. Beforehand I didn't think the rear brake was working anyway. Is the middle piston operated by the rear pedal?

OP
OP
Neiko1967
It's a 2001 ABS. I was able to get the middle in with a c clamp. What is the trick for the outer 2? I would like to get them both in but if I push one in the other pops out. Just trying to buy as much room to slide over disk.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Crack the bleeder screws and the pistons should compress easier.
I believe the rear brake pedal operates the center piston as the front SMC operates the outer pistons on the rear caliper.
If you want your head to start spinning, read some information on how the brake system works! :)

OP
OP
Neiko1967
I tried relieving it by open the reservoir and Al's the C clamp but nothing seems to work. 1 and 3 move but both still won't go in like #2

OP
OP
Neiko1967
Crack the bleeder screws and the pistons should compress easier.
I believe the rear brake pedal operates the center piston as the front SMC operates the outer pistons on the rear caliper.
If you want your head to start spinning, read some information on how the brake system works! :)
My head spins pretty easy that's why I was hoping to just squeeze them all in and slap on new pads.

OP
OP
Neiko1967
Ok. I cracked the valve and both went it. Thank you all. I have the rear tire on and was wondering if there should be a gap where the wheel meets with the final drive housing or am I overthinking stuff. IMG_20210901_154039154.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
When did you last flush the brake system of old brake fluid with new? From my armchair, it seems that brake and clutch fluid is the most neglected item of routine maintenance. After reading what a few guys had to say about this here, I started doing yearly flushes of both brake and clutch. Reading about thick dirty brown fluid some have drained from the bleeder nipples seems to be the obvious cause of SMC failures ST owners experience.

I don't mean this as disrespect, but your questions suggest you are not familiar with the brake system on ST's. You don't have to know all about the complexities of the ST, but you should know basic maintenance procedures of a system that could cause an accident or immobilize the bike. I suggest you read a few of the brake articles and do a thorough flush of the system. (Clutch fluid as well.)

OP
OP
Neiko1967
No disrespect taken. I barely know enough to get the bike started.lol The bike had the brakes bled but sat for over a decade since. Since the brakes were working I was going to ride it and change fluid at the end of the season.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
What is this 'ring stopper' thing?
My bikes don't have this and I don't see it on the fiche.
or is it a 1300 thing?

Top Bottom