How long can the battery sit...?

Bike
2010 NT700V
According to the owners manual on my '06, Honda recommends putting the battery on a tender if you're going to let the bike sit for 2 weeks or more. This seems a little conservative as I've had previous bikes sit considerably longer without a tender - with no ill effects.

So what say ye? How long could an ST with a relatively new battery sit before you'd want to consider hooking the battery up to the electrical umbilical cord?

STOC #
Well, probably not proper battery preservation techniques, hehehehe, but all my bikes for years have sat every winter up here in Alberta, in a non-heated garage for 3-5 months. I have never had one go down, or ever had a battery issue. For 2 years.....the blue STeed is no different. Just my .02 cents.

Tim

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I don't know if I've just been lucky, or if I'm taking care of batteries the way you should, but I've been using a Battery Tender for the past 10 years or so and have NEVER had a battery die on me. I had to replace the battery in my Ducati after 8 years, but I don't think that's uncommon. I keep the battery in my ST connected as normal, and hooked up to a Tender. In my other bikes, I remove the batteries and sit them on my bench, connected to a Tender. Either way, the battery always comes to life when called upon.

STOC #
HAHAHA Horst......I know......walking on thin ice....and I KNOW better!!!!! LOL.
Must have sat on the whole horse some years back........:eek: Or maybe I am one with the force already and have surpassed you MASTER YODA!!!!!!!!:bow1:

I can lift a cow and a smiley dude...using only the force!! :twist1:

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
My ST1300 has sat for more than 2 weeks a couple of times with no battery tender and it started just fine. I don't know how long they will go without a charge but I try to keep mine to less than 3 weeks. :03biker:

Wouldn't the HISS system lead a bit higher discharge during storage? I think the sports bikes have more of an issue as they have smaller batteries and charging systems.

Top Bottom