How long to discharge battery?

The engine temperature goes through the roof right after you shut it off because it's still trying to pour heat into the coolant, which is no longer circulating. Above certain temperatures, running the fan for a bit after shutting off helps dispose of enough of the extra heat to avoid damage.

I understand all that. I just don't understand why the ST shuts off the fan when you turn off the key. Most other vehicles leave the fan running and a thermal switch shuts it off when it's time. Don't they?

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Older Honda's would run the fan with the key off.
I don't know if this is specific to the ST or Honda decided it wasn't required in geneneral?

I just don't understand why the ST shuts off the fan when you turn off the key. Most other vehicles leave the fan running and a thermal switch shuts it off when it's time. Don't they?

Some do, some don't. The cars I've owned with electric fans probably batted about .400 when it comes to staying on.

If I had to hazard a guess how the bike behaves based on the wiring diagram (and this is only a guess), the ECM probably looks at the coolant and air temperatures at shutdown and makes a determination about whether the temperature will go high enough to make it necessary.

The fan on my Vulcan 750 is on a timer and won't run for any longer than 30 seconds after the engine is stopped if the temperature is high enough.

--Mark

The fan (after shutting off the bike) would only be helping to cool the coolant trapped in the radiator. Coolant trapped in the engine wouldn't be affected which is the coolant that spikes in temp when the bike is turned off.

I'd say that running the fan after shutdown doesn't do anything to cool the engine but only uses up precious amps which this bike has precious few of.

The fan (after shutting off the bike) would only be helping to cool the coolant trapped in the radiator. Coolant trapped in the engine wouldn't be affected which is the coolant that spikes in temp when the bike is turned off.

I'd say that running the fan after shutdown doesn't do anything to cool the engine but only uses up precious amps which this bike has precious few of.

:th1: I think at this point hijacking is official.

I know on my bike I feel a lot of hot air moving out from under the plastic when the fan is running. And the fact that air is moving under the plastic tells me that the motor is being cooled. I think I will stick with doing it the way I do.

The fans in my cars in Australia have never run after switching off the car. There will be minimal coolant circulation after shutdown due to thermals, but otherwise I can't see any benefit from running the fans. Once the engine is off there is no extra heat being produced, so the engine will start cooling down. ST11 has never had the fans on after stopping, and haven't heard of any failures from very high mileage riders who don't even conside this an issue (along with type of oil etc etc!). The fans may move air past the motor, but whether it is actually needed for longevity is a different question. May be some benefit for the plastics and body work I suppose, but no mechanical reason.

Back
Top Bottom