How many miles are to many on a Honda ST 1300

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
I have 86k on my 2005 ST. Maintenance has been Tires, Break Pads, Oil every 5k, Gear oil every 10k or so. The bike is running fine. I have put those 86k on over 4 years so that is around 21k. Every year there are 2 5k each multi day rides. In the back of my mind while it think an st will live forever I also wonder perhaps if the next 5k road trip will be the one to far?

Thanks
Randy

I can't talk about the ST1300, but if you look back one guy up in Canada has 400,000 km on 91 ST 1100. Silver, just like mine. Made my day.

If you're keeping up on the maintenance 86,000 miles is just the tip of the iceberg. I would think you've got Another 86,000 miles before you even need to think about problems. Just continue to maintain the bike properly and you can ride it for years to come.

Many many ST1100 and 1300 with 150K mi + on them. As stated, keep up the maintenance and they are like an ol Timex watch...

You may want to replace wheel bearings with your next tire change.

I was trying to find a thread from earlier in the week which the poster has an 07 and it just turned over 200,000 miles (the odometer reset to 0). If you check the Mileage MileSTones subforum, an ST1100 has gone over 300,000 miles (converted from km).

If you do the required maintenance, there isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same.

I would replace the u-joint at 100k. BUT!!!!, there have been u-joints that have lasted well over that and some that don't get that far.. so, you just don't know... I'd say if it made it to 100k without an issue, might be good to replace it then. It's a low-occurance issue from what we've seen on the site.

The other regular maint and checks and the bike should be good into the 200k mark, easily... there was an '04? for sale with 210k on it real cheap... with a little care that thing would be back to new in no time, I thought about it but I like sleeping in the house so I backed off.

Ken in California has n '05 (?) with 265,000+ miles that looks show room new. I saw the bike at FerrySTOC this past May. With 86K, I'd say you have a ways to go.

Ken in California has n '05 (?) with 265,000+ miles that looks show room new. I saw the bike at FerrySTOC this past May. With 86K, I'd say you have a ways to go.

I was going to mention Zook's bike too but Ralph beat me to it. Not only does it have 200+ but it still looks like new!

I have over 200,000 k on mine and it is going just like new. If you maintain it you will receive many miles of enjoyment. I do not hestitate to ride it, my last trip was 2950 miles and when I got back I jumped at the chance to put another 900 mile trip within a week

Last edited:
Good maintenance is the key for sure, and when it starts to look like it has seen better days, just replace the plastic.

A point to remember is Honda is confident enough to put an unlimited milage warranty on these bikes..

and then silver hammerite the ally bits...

When you get to the Colonies, you can put you hammerite away. I feel sorry for the British riders who have to watch as their bikes get eaten by the salt.:(

Bad news guys, I was just informed my ST with 83,000 miles is at the end of its life.

I have just under 110K on mine and see no reason why it shouldnt go another 100k. Just keep changing the brakes tires and oil. Check the valves and change the brake and clutch fluid.

Back
Top Bottom