Hunting for an oil leak

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
This isn't a how-to article, nor is it (exactly) a plea for help although anyone who can provide definite guidance / information is welcome to chime in. It's more in the way of a public musing along with a cautionary tale for anyone with a similar problem.

BACKGROUND
A few weeks ago I did the scheduled 64,000 mile valve clearance check on my 2004 ST1300. All is well on that front- everything is within spec.

During reassembly I tried to be careful not to trap the rubber mat that sits behind #4 between the head and the head cover, and I *think* I was successful. I ran the engine for a couple minutes just to verify that it would not explode or immediately catch fire. So far so good, and without massive leaks, so I buttoned everything up and declared "Job done."

My first ride after the service was about 250 miles with no *apparent* issues.

PROBLEM
HOWEVER, the *next* ride (actually, rides- WV-STOC) revealed that *something* was not right.

Each morning when I started the bike it smelled hot for a few moments and produced a thin wisp, unmistakable as oil smoke, that dissipated after a moment.

Ruh roh, Rorge, you've got Trouble somewhere.

It never persisted, and a check of the sight glass showed the oil level as actually slightly TOO full. (This photo was taken 30 minutes to an hour after the engine had been run, this morning. When I first checked it, with the engine stone cold, the level was somewhat above the top index.)

20181008_110306.jpg

Neither the hot smell nor the wisp of smoke recurred after the engine was shut off for rest / meal stops, or if they did it was momentary and fleeting and not enough to draw my attention to it.

This morning I pulled all the bodywork and, sure enough, there was a telltale smear of oil, and even a droplet, along a section of the #1 exhaust header. It seems obvious that that is the source of the *smoke* and the hot smell, but what isn't (yet) so apparent to me is the true *source* of the leak.

My first hunch was that I had not gotten gasket sealer well applied on the half moons of the gasket between head and cover when reinstalling the head covers after the valve clearance check, but there's no tell-tale trail of oily dirty ooze from either of them, on either side. In the photo below I'd have expected to see some sort of trail along the paths of the arrows, but it wasn't there (even before I cleaned the front of the engine block). The trio of bolts at the bottom of the photo did have a suspicious accumulation of crud, however, and the oil on the header pipe was directly beneath the lowest of them.

20181008_110055 arrows.jpg

20181008_110047 arrows.jpg

So I pulled the head cover and sure enough, the half moons did not seem to have full coverage of sealant. Also, although I had been mindful of the rubber sheet at the back of the right side head cover I had forgotten about / overlooked the rubber mat along the top of the left side. It appears to have gotten pinched in the top of the head cover.

There's now a new application of gasket sealer FULLY around the half moons, and the rubber mat is definitely NOT caught in between the cylinder head and the head cover. I've run the engine again for several minutes under light load (put it in gear and held the throttle open to spin the engine at 2,000 RPM for a couple minutes) and am now waiting for things to settle a bit before I check again.

I also found accumulations of oil / grit all along the bottom of the oil pan (in between the fins); it is heavier on the right side. After cleaning the engine casing and running it then shutting it down and letting it sit for a spell, and before I fixed the left side issues, I found a trail of oil along the right front edge of the engine.

20181008_110245 highlighted.jpg

So, where is *THAT* coming from? The trail on the front engine cover was created while the bike was running on the center stand, although the mess on the engine block and in the fins of the oil pan was there already (from whatever leak there is; it's new and not a legacy buildup from previous leaks).

I *think* the right side head cover gasket half moons had adequate sealant applied, based on the residual mess on the front of the engine (disgraceful), and I have double-checked that the rubber mat at the back is not pinched in between the cover and the head. I have also checked that the rubber mat along the top of the right side head cover is not pinched, as it was on the left side. And, there is no trail of seepage on the front of the block. Finally, any leak from the area of the cylinder head cover would be well behind the front of the engine and there is no evidence of a seepage trail connecting the two areas.

20181008_110228.jpg

Is it possible that the (postulated) leak from the pinched mat on the left side put oil into the V (abyss), which then found its way to the right side of the engine? Or perhaps it got there via the small channel that separates the "Honda" logo cover from the rest of the front of the engine? (Highlighted red line in the photo below.) That channel continues upward and across the engine all the way over to the left side. *Could* oil be coming from the left side along / through that channel to end up dribbling down the right hand side and into the handy "catch pan" of the lower fairing? If that *isn't* the source, I have no further speculations.

20181008_110245 channel.jpg

Finally, the last place I found significant oil accumulation was the back end of the inner side of the main cowling on the left side. Unless it got blown in there by the combined action of wind while riding , along with the radiator fans, I have absolutely zero hypothesis as to how it got there. I've cleaned it up and will continue to monitor that area over the next several times when the tupperware is off. I may also try to watch the lower fairings for a while to see whether there's any indication of renewed buildup there, though I'm not overly sanguine about the odds of figuring out where it is coming from.

So, I *think* I have found and fixed one problem; the question remains as to whether that was the *only* issue. Only time will tell. In the meantime, after having run the engine again for several minutes I'll let it sit (the yard needs mowing in the meantime) and make one more examination before I start the wrestling match that inevitably occurs when I try to reinstall all the bodywork...

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 vfr800
If you want to check for a trail of oil shake some baby powder over all the areas that you think might be leaking ,powder sticks to the oil pinpointing were the leak originates from . Cost is pretty low and your bike smells fresh .

tonythecarguy

err... motorcycleguy
Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Is it possible that the (postulated) leak from the pinched mat on the left side put oil into the V (abyss), which then found its way to the right side of the engine?
YES, its designed to do that. There is a drain in the bottom of the "V" that drains down the small chanel you described and down to the square hole near the waterpump.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
YES, its designed to do that. There is a drain in the bottom of the "V" that drains down the small channel you described and down to the square hole near the water pump.
Thanks Tony. That, along with the absence of evidence of further leakage after I re-did the gasket seals around the half moons on the left side of the engine, gives me hope that I have indeed found and fixed the issue- until the next valve clearance check, at least...

While I had all the plastics off I also raised the headlight aim somewhat- it was too close to the bike, when I was getting the WV Tag on Saturday evening. Glad I had only that short run in true darkness; on the other hand the high beams were FABULOUS so as long as there was no other traffic nearby I could let them off the leash to do their thing.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
If you want to check for a trail of oil shake some baby powder over all the areas that you think might be leaking ,powder sticks to the oil pinpointing were the leak originates from . Cost is pretty low and your bike smells fresh .
Thanks for the tip. Who WOULDN'T like a fresh-smelling bike? :)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When you see oil originating on the exhaust side, looking like a head gasket, your gasket around the sparkplugs is probably leaking and would fill the sparkplug wells with oil, except, there are little ports for the oil to come out near the exhaust ports. This leakage is due to the gasket around the sparkplug holes being not correctly seated or too old.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
When you see oil originating on the exhaust side, looking like a head gasket, your gasket around the sparkplugs is probably leaking and would fill the sparkplug wells with oil, except, there are little ports for the oil to come out near the exhaust ports. This leakage is due to the gasket around the sparkplug holes being not correctly seated or too old.
Yeah I have diagnosed faulty reassembly after my last valve clearance check as the probable culprit. I didn't get quite enough sealant around the half-moons, probably, and also caught the rubber mat at the top of the heads in between the head and the gasket.

\What do you find to be the typical life expectancy of those gaskets? I may get a set to have on hand when I do the 80,000 mile check, probably about two to three years from now. And do you measure their life in terms of age, total mileage, number of times they've been disturbed, or some other factor?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah I have diagnosed faulty reassembly after my last valve clearance check as the probable culprit. I didn't get quite enough sealant around the half-moons, probably, and also caught the rubber mat at the top of the heads in between the head and the gasket.

\What do you find to be the typical life expectancy of those gaskets? I may get a set to have on hand when I do the 80,000 mile check, probably about two to three years from now. And do you measure their life in terms of age, total mileage, number of times they've been disturbed, or some other factor?
One thing I am really bad is pulling the valve covers off for checking the valves. The two bikes I have done is the 2005 and the 2010. The 2005 required re-shimming, but I had Byron with me to help.

To answer your question, I really don't know. I guess flexibility is the first thing to check, of course for cracks, etc.. And since most are riding around on 10 yr plus gaskets, you might just want to change them out due to age.

@ Partzilla: GASKET, HEAD COVER 12391-MCS-000 $32.95 $25.68

Top Bottom