I completed the Clutch Slave Cylinder refurbishment - These tools made it easier

Hi Everyone:

This job is tough. Be prepared to spend at least an hour on your side, attempting to remove the CSC from a very confined space. I wanted to suggest a few tools that will make the job just a little bit easier.

1. Long neck scraper: This happens to be a Crafterman scraper. I used this, to very carefully remove the brunt of the gasket material.
  2. Pernatex Gasket Remover: Removes traces of gasket material left behind, during the scraping process.
  3. 12mm Wratcheting Flex-Head Wrench: Removes/installs banjo nut after it has been broken loose.
  4. 12mm clawfoot flarenut wrench: This is to be used with a 6 inch 3/8 socket extention and a flex-head 3/8 drive 10 inch socket wrench. This was used to break the banjo nut free and then to tighten it back up again. If you are still confused about this tool (the clawfoot). just youtube it - it should start to make sense pretty quickly.
  5. 6 inch wratchet wrench with 1/4 inch drive: This was used to pop the CSC bolts off and proved to be very efficient. 72 teeth allowed swinging the wrench side to side to get the bolts off without much trouble.
  6. Long surgical foreceps (Harbor Freight): This was used to slide the new crush washers between the banjo nuts.
  7. Small prybar to break the CSC from the case. Again, you need to be gentle with this tool - you can damage the engine and or the CSC if you start cranking on this thing.
  8. Vulcanized gloves with knuckle protection. The moment you visualize where your hands will be spending the next hour or two, you will want a pair of these.
  9. A piece of stcrap 2x4: any amount of additional clearance helps with this job. You want to roll your front tire onto the 2x4, then lean the bike on it's kickstand.

This maintenance task is very rewarding, especially if you have been putting the CSC replacement off for months like I did. Shifting is markedly improved and definitely not as clunky.

Attachments

Last edited:
I learned at a early age to stiff arm where ever possible so when it breaks loose you only move your shoulders a bit. When your arm is bent at a angle your knuckles hit if your pushing it away or you wack your chin if pulling it towards you.
It was really important when I was lifting beams with a crane, When you stiff arm and the load moves you tend to be pushed bodily out of the way instead of the elbow bending first.
I have a set of 1/4 inch drive metric Wobblies from Gear Wrench that work well in some of the tight places too. Got them off Amazon and the cost wasn't bad

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well written article, and very specific tool recommendations! Not that I need any real inspiration to buy more tools, but......

Thanks for a good post!

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Is there a article on here about how to do the refurb? (guess I could look) What parts did you need and/or get? How many miles on your bike?

thanks

OP
OP
SirSquid1300
Is there a article on here about how to do the refurb? (guess I could look) What parts did you need and/or get? How many miles on your bike?

thanks
Yes, there are many. I watched a couple tutorial videos on YouTube that were well done too. The bike is a 2006 with roughly 60k miles. Signs that the CSC was toast were a sticky, clunky clutch and performance was affected by heat.

I purchased a rebuild kit from eBay like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224434293482?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=9xhaD5WnSCC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Zm28SfxwSiu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Top Bottom