I feel like a Harley!

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
Apparently the alternator is seeping on my '93 ST....
I will address it over the winter, unless it gets worse.....
Is there anything that I can pout over the alternator that will stop the seepage in the interim? Glopping some epoxy around the seal?
Just curious....
Thanks

Jonb

Red Arr00w
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
If you are going to get that "Deep" into the alternator you might think of upgrading to the 40 amp unit while you there.

OP
OP
richpeabody

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I plan to....but was hoping for a stop-gap measure, something like "as seen on TV" that would keep me from leaking until winter...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Rich, keep your eyes peeled for a NJTechSTOC event, where you could tackle that alternator replacement at the "Garagemahal" with more good advice and experience than you can imagine.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Once they start leaking, I don't think there is any stopping them, short of R and R.

You could just tell people it's a BMW and that's driveline fluid:) I'm just sayin'!

Bike
96/99 ST1100
You could get some self-emulsifying tape to hold back the oil, but in order to wrap it properly you'd need to do the disassembly, in which case you might as well do the swap.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Youre leaking in a way HDs cant. Harley v twins are air cooled, and dont have alternators. I would also agree if you take her apart enough to apply "goop" you might as well tackle the alternator at that time. You could try radiator stop leak, but Ive heard it clogs smaller passage ways. Good Luck

OP
OP
richpeabody

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I'll try the Permatex for now.....then do the 40 amp swap in the autumn/winter...
Although I am fairly crippled and my knees and ankles are shot, so I sent the local shop (Circle Cycle) the parts list and the description of the job to see what they will charge to do it....
Has anyone ever paid a shop to perform the swap????

Thanks

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
If you feel like a Harley and your pipes are bothering the neighbors, then you should cut back on the beans!!:D

OP
OP
richpeabody

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
Okay....some more help please....the local shop has slowed a bit and if I get this repaired or upgraded now is the best time as far as labor charges...
Am I correct in that the cause of the oil leak is the seal on the shaft that drives the current (no pun intended) alternator? Fixing the seal would require complete removal of current (that unintended pun again) unit as well as the shaft?
a second question: has anyone paid a dealer to replace or upgrade their alternator? What did they charge (again, no pun intended).
Thanks

Top Bottom