I got a new Honda CRF450L

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Looks like fun!

The older I get the better I was ... therefore I resist getting back on a dirt bike like that. I grew up on them. My mind would still write checks my body can no longer cash. :eek:
I just try to visit the sites where I left hide and get over another dirt bike.

FI & 6 Speed transmission. What's not to like. I'm curious as to what kind of mileage you will get. I suppose that depends on how far you twist the throttle.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
But.......it is a Honda.
The L has the same maintenance schedule as the R (racing bike), stating a top end rebuild is required at 20k. Used as a dual sport these engines are proving to be very solid and run at lot further, plenty over 20k and some 30k without issues, even valve adjustments are rare. Doubt I'll be wearing mine out.

OP
OP
Jay547
Bike
Yamaha FJ-09
I finally found one myself.

Did you do the ECU?
I put the Vortex on mine and a Seat Concepts seat. Huge difference.

T
IMG_20221007_162515.jpg
Damn that's pretty. Makes me want a new one.

I'm still running the stock ecu and exhaust. It works good enough for my purposes.

OP
OP
Jay547
Bike
Yamaha FJ-09
The L has the same maintenance schedule as the R (racing bike), stating a top end rebuild is required at 20k. Used as a dual sport these engines are proving to be very solid and run at lot further, plenty over 20k and some 30k without issues, even valve adjustments are rare. Doubt I'll be wearing mine out.
Just had my second valve check at 20,743 miles. They were perfect. Still haven't had to adjust any. I run HP-4 synthetic and change it every 800-1000 miles. I keep the air filter clean. The guy who did the valve check said it was the cleanest engine he's ever seen. I guess it's working...

Other than crash damage and normal wear, so far, I've had a leaky fork seal, broken clutch cable, and worn front wheel bearings.

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Glad to hear about your service intervals. I was a bit worried about the maintenance described in the OM.
Thanks for sharing.
T

Top Bottom