I hate MICE!

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
As mentioned mice are a PIA. To manage mice is a two step process. First eliminate the mice and second keep them away. Standard mouse traps and peanut butter. Peanut butter is a mouse's nemesis. Second go to your local farm store, ACE Hardware, etc. get some stuff called Fresh Cab. Fresh cab botanical repellent. It does not kill them but repelled them, hence the reason to kill them first.

Just buy a four pack of Fresh Cab and throw them in different locations including on or in the bike somewhere. They are good for 10 weeks.

Bike
VStrom 650
Designed by the same guy that sells deer whistles.
When I purchased said contraption x 2, off ebay or somewhere else just as reassuring, I was indeed very sceptical, still am. But 7 years on and not a rodent in sight, that despite being able to see mice, voles and the occasional ratus giganticus nearby fairly regularly.
So, do they work, haven't got a clue.
Do I have rodent damage, no.
Not yet at least.
But they cost almost nothing. And anything with a blue flashing light must be good?
Upt'North.

Bike
ST 1100 s
My '08 ST has fallen victim to mice...again. I had one (or more) get in last year and chewed wires and shorted our the ECM (FI fault code & fail to start). This year it has happened again. It is stored in a wooden shed in the back yard and I thought I had it sealed (Gap sealer, steel wool. electronic and regular baited traps this season.:mad:
A steady RED FI code came on and it started & ran OK. The dealer called today and said that wires & vacuum hoses are chewed. They'll be checking the throttle bodies next. I only hope it is not another sorted ECM.
Not sure what to do next. Mechanic seems to think a "baited dunk bucket" will work. I'm at the point that it is perhaps time to sell it off, once repaired. Dealer doesn't want to install a screen over the intake throat as it will/could restrict too much air flow.
Would anyone have some suggestions (Cloves in a bag...Bounce dryer sheets...crushed moth balls (or crushed MICE BALLS..Ha!) around the bike like a Vampire charm....)?
Get a cat !

Bike
2006 ST1300
I had a piece of 1/4 inch mesh over my air intake. no loss of performance. This stops the nests in the air filter and chewing air filter. When you park, remove the seats, then they don't like it back there, too open. Saves ECU wireing back there.
Only leaves under the air box. I still dont know about there.

Now I've got a FJ09, got to start all over with mouse proofing.

Thanks to all that replied. The repair bill was partially covered by the 'comprehensive' clause in my insurance policy. I plugged some spaces in the shed with expanding foam; used a caulking gum to fill in the spaces in the floor boards (1/4"- 3/8" wide), placed 6 snap traps around the shed along with 4 sticky traps, mouse poison pellets at the doors AND build a "Suicide Bucket", baited with peanut butter. None of the traps/bait have been tripped yet & it's been a month. I am storing the M/C outside away from any possible source for the balance of this season.

Ride Safely everyone....!:biker:
GET A CAT !!!!

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I let my cats out in the garage a couple times a week while I'm out there... they are all over the place sniffing around leaving that nice cat smell everywhere. Rat's and mice don't like that smell. I've never had an issue with mice or rats in my garage.

Here's our latest recruit, Sabastian.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
When I purchased said contraption x 2, off ebay or somewhere else just as reassuring, I was indeed very sceptical, still am. But 7 years on and not a rodent in sight, that despite being able to see mice, voles and the occasional ratus giganticus nearby fairly regularly.
So, do they work, haven't got a clue.
Do I have rodent damage, no.
Not yet at least.
But they cost almost nothing. And anything with a blue flashing light must be good?
Upt'North.
No self respecting mouse is going to dine on an old ST1100. ST1300's and other bikes just taste much better:rofl1:

This guy has a great channel on catching/killing mice.... from ancient times to modern times. he does a lot of testing as well, including the night time videos.

I have had a few battles with mice and always seemed to end up losing. Mind you, the carnage was quite a site. I hate them. Although I don't like to use it because of pets and concern for the environment I resorted to commercial poison (not the Home Depot stuff) I got through an anonymous farmer. They finally completely wrecked the camper I had re-stored and I got rid of the mice by getting rid of the camper. good Luck!
I learned from an "owl guy" that to avoid secondary poisoning and environmental dings use a mix of old breakfast cereal (or equivalent) and Plaster of Paris. Just put in a container that house pets can't get to and the mice and or rats will eat it and their gut moisture will turn it into stones. That ends the rodents and owls don't eat stones. As you may know rodents has very short gestation periods so you will have to keep the mixture supply current fro several weeks until the colony is gone. I've been using this method for 35 years in the barn and shop. I habitually save the last bit in a cereal box for the mission.;)

I live in a semi-rural, semi-deserty area, and if left unchecked we get field mice around the outside of the house, garage, and tool shed, and when they're outside, it's not long before they find a way inside. I did a lot of research when we first moved here and decided to try the spray rodent repellant in gallon jugs. It's not poison, which is important because I have a dog, but a mixture of oils and scents that mice don't like. At first I was a little dubious about its effectiveness, but I watched online video tests of various rodent repellant methods and the spray performed well.

I started spraying the perimeter of the house, garage, shed, and fence once a month and I stopped seeing any evidence of mice in those areas (tracks in the dust, etc). Just to be sure, I built a bucket trap baited with peanut butter and placed it by the shed and citrus tree (which attracts mice) for a month, within the spray repellant perimeter, and I not only caught zero mice I found no evidence the peanut butter had even been tampered with. Not even any tracks in the dust leading up to it. That was a couple of years ago, and since then I spray the perimeter once a month and have yet to find evidence of mice within our yard, let alone the structures.

Our little chi-terrier also has 24/7 doggy door access to to the fenced-in back and side yard and she almost obsessively patrols it day and night. In the wild on the hiking trails, unless restrained she is a rodent hunting and murdering machine. If any did ignore the repellant and make the mistake of entering the yard it might be their last mistake, but since using the repellant I've never found any evidence out there of said mouse murder. She's the high-tech part of our multi-layered anti-mouse defense system. :)

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I have 2 electronic mice repellent near my bike and also 2 mice traps with peanuts butter right under them.
I catch at least 1 mouse every week with the traps!
It would be hard to believe that the ultra sounds are deterring them at all!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
The bucket trap sleeps beside Brego since he was used last year as a birthing suite for those bleeping pests. When I first put it out, caught seven in the first few days. By the time fall rolled in and out, my count was up to 26.
This year, since the spring, 1 bleeping mouse (I apologize for my bleeping). I think I put a dent in the colony:rolleyes:.
Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I never had any mouse problems when I was single, but that was more than half my life ago and I had two great cats; my Mom had seven of them, but, she was crazy, anyway, the first was similar [and the only reason it comes to mind] to sherob's there, brings back memories, the other was one that picked me, was fixing a freezer and the owner's complete black cat decided I would be a good perch since I didn't seem to be going anywhere, I guess. He was the Dicky Dee franchiser, quite a nice guy, came upon the cat much as I did, asked me if I could take him.
Then came the pressures of life, wife / child / cat alergies; turns out they were both alergic to a lot more than just my cats, but... where I was going with that... and I had to get rid of both of them, [the cats] fortunately I was able to find good homes for each of them.
Oh yeah, that was when I started to have a lot of rodent problems.
I often wonder what direction my life might have gone if I'd have found good homes for... but you're not supposed to think that I guess.
I seriously dreaded opening up the ST, I knew with certainty that I had mice in the thing, fortunately, only a bit of nesting and no wiring damage or entrance through the air duct. I left the ST pretty bare bones during the layup leaving little area for them to nest, having had considerable property disruption on my other vehicles; once it was in pieces better left that way.
I didn't have the usual mice problems this season, couple things I did different were leaving the radio on in my carport -always - low volume. Fabric softener sheets in the [car] engine compartments; minimum motorcycle covering; only a short half way on the XL nothing on the ST or the VStar.
I think it's also got to do with the sweet smell of antifreeze; and it probably don't take much, just a bit of seepage around that housing followed by a nice warm place to sleep.

Top Bottom