I need to buy a battery for an 09 ST1300. What do I need?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe batteries made by Yuasa for Honda, and delivered to Honda, are different.
I think this may in fact be the case. ie NOS Yuasa are different that OEM. There are lots of people (myself among them) who have experienced shorter battery life from NOS Yuasa as compared to OEM. However, I doubt that you would ever get Honda or Yuasa to confirm that. I just buy generic batteries rather than Yuasa as replacements. Life expectancy is not significantly different for me.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Well Kevin, here is a thought for you- you should report them to Honda. If they are selling the battery using the Honda part number and charging the Honda price, which is what it sounds like from your post, they have admitted fraud to you in the least. Any Honda part that they sell using the Honda P/N is supposed to be procured through the Honda parts network. There is nothing wrong with them offering their customer's a jobber version of something, though I doubt that Honda would be happy about it. They should be honest about it however.

So many on this site claim that the replacement Yuasa batteries do not last as well as the battery originally delivered from Honda. If this is common practice with batteries, maybe that would explain why. Maybe they aren't the same. Maybe batteries made by Yuasa for Honda, and delivered to Honda, are different. Who knows.
Yeah, I'm not that pissed that I would be reporting anyone for fraud, unless I deemed it a severe breach of the law. Who knows what goes on with business's trying to make high profits by ripping off the customer? There is a lot we don't know about.

In my other thread I gave the price quotes of the different OEM battery types that I asked for and saw quite a difference in prices. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that something bought at a dealership will be more expensive than buying the same thing elsewhere. (if in fact its the same) When I went to buy some stock rims for my Chevy half ton many years ago, the store I went to told me that they sell the same rim to the dealership also. He said If I bought from them, the price would double! They were able to charge more, just because it was from a "dealership?"

The Honda parts guy confided in me and I'm not about to get him in hot water for being honest. They did offer another battery option which was a generic battery but he didn't recommend it. He just told me where they get them and said I could go there also.
I didn't mean that they were crooked crooks, they just charge outrageous prices.

Batteries like everything else these days aren't made to last. It seems to be the norm if they fail within 3-4 yrs vs 7-8 yrs like before.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
When I went to buy some stock rims for my Chevy half ton many years ago, the store I went to told me that they sell the same rim to the dealership also. He said If I bought from them, the price would double! They were able to charge more, just because it was from a "dealership?"
Same response- they can sell you whatever they want, for whatever price they want, as long as they are not misrepresenting jobber parts as OEM parts.

In your example of rims, the generic aftermarket steel rims are no where near the same quality as the GM original equipment rims. Everybody around here buys those as a second set of rims to permanently mount their snow tires on. You only need to slide on the ice and gently kiss a curb just once and those things are bent all to hell. The GM original equipment rims are significantly sturdier steel and can take a lot more abuse. If I knew I was being sold the cheaper quality rims that is fine, my decision. If I was sold GM original equipment rims and was given the flimsy aftermarket ones, I wouldn't be happy.

Bike
'07 ST1300
I need to get a battery for an 09 ST1300. What battery do I need and can I get it at any auto parts store?
in the past I have always replaced with OEM Yuasa, have two old ones and the third is on the bike, seems to be petering out, I have an 07, so three batteries over 14 years = 4.666 years per battery, but the price of Yuasa is pretty high, thinking of going with this : Mighty Max Battery YTZ14S 230CCA Gel Battery for Honda ST1300 ABS (2003-2012) $44 on Amazon. Anyone try one of these? This is not a sealed battery, but this one is :
Mighty Max Battery YTZ14S 12V 11.2Ah 230CCA SLA Power Sport Battery Brand Product $33 !!!

I have a Mighty Max deep
I need to get a battery for an 09 ST1300. What battery do I need and can I get it at any auto parts store?
cell 12 volt battery in a 12 ft kayak for a trolling motor that has lasted and performed satisfactorily, thinking of trying one of their power sports batteries. This is the one I have in my kayak : 12V 55Ah Power Boat Pontoon Electric Trolling Motor Deep Cycle Battery - Mighty Max Battery. And I do like it.

I’m really liking the price, but it is a sealed lead acid battery, not really what we would want

hhhmmm, I came across a lithium ion battery : AMPXELL Lithium Motorcycle Battery, Engine Start Battery 12V 5Ah CCA300, Replace YTX7A-BS YTX9-BS, ETX9-BS and YTZ14S, $93 - wondering how this one would do? Well upon further research : MMG YTZ14S Z14S Lithium Ion Sealed Factory Activated Powersports Battery 12V CCA 300 for Motorcycle. This one has pretty good reviews, $115.

Lithium batteries are much lighter, supposed to be better, should be for the cost . But cost is same for a Yuasa AGM battery, so if I decide to spend around $100 thinking the lithium would be a better battery overall. But for $30-40 SLA looks attractive, only downside is if you lay your bike over and acid spills , but if you lay your bike over that is the least of your worries, as you’ll likelay have a wrecked bike. My last worrisome event with my Yuasa , was out on errands, went to crank up and go back home, had it in gear , wouldn’t turn over hard and fast enough to crank so I shut off the key quickly, switched gears to Neutral, waited a couple minutes, then she cranked right up! I was shocked!

Hmm, thinking about using a cheap SLA Mighty max, but have a lithium backup since they are so light, put it on a switch and wire it in. It would be reassuring to run with a back up battery and lithium’s are light enough to pack an extra tucked away somewhere either in the saddle back or trunk, or under the seat back near the taillight. Especially on a long ride, as we all know the Yuasa will die out if you have an event where your ST doesn’t crank right up for whatever reason. I have had that happen so many times I have wires run from the battery up to the fairing pockets so I don’t have to take off the side panels to get to the battery when I need to jump off that weakass battery

Last edited:

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I would have to go digging again, but while I was battery shopping, I caught a read about when a gel vs AGV is ok/not...
I ended up buying the Interstate CYTX14-BS sealed AGM from Amazon for about $75.
It's essentially a made in Taiwan Yuasa. Says so on the box.......so far so good. -I did have to add the battery acid and then charge it at 1 amp for 18 hours. --- For winter I'm just monitoring the volts everyday. It's been a steady 12.8v as we go. No recharging needed yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom