Ignition issue

Fresh owner of used 2008 ST1300. I have a weird intermittent problem with ignition switch. The bike sat in my garage for a few days while I waited out Buffalo NY rain and cold. This morning when I turned key on lights went on but no ignition when I thumbed the switch. I checked the right handlebar rocker button was in correct position (run or on). But nothing when I pushed the start button. No click, nothing. Dash lights did not dim as if there was a draw. I turned the key back and forth a few times and it started up.
I rode almost all the way to work but stopped at a gas station for coffee (put in my ram cup handle bar mount). Turned key and nothing again. I pulled key out, put it back in, switched to the "ACC" position then back to "ON" a few times. Hit upper rocker switch back and forth a few times. After a minutes or 2 of panic something works and it starts.

Any ideas or tips?
I would hate to be stranded or take it to the dealer for something simple.

Contributors / Related:
I have ridden the bike regularly for months. This has happened maybe 1 or 2 times before. Temperature has dropped in my area but i kept it in a garage. Only about 34K on the bike.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Try wiggling the starter button... many times the switches get a little gunked up over time and some electrical contact cleaner sprayed inside will help.

As an alternative that relies on coincidence may I suggest the neutral interlock switch? If the switch that detects if the bike in neutral is starting to fail then that may prevent the starter, although it may run if you hold the clutch in while starting.
Not that i’ve Ever had that happen to me (different bike though).

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Did you only play with the ignition, kill switch and starter buttons from when it wasn't going to when it was?
Just trying to rule out being in neutral or in gear and the side stand switch. Like Mellow said though it may just be the starter button.

That happened to my new acquired bike also the first day or so it happened about 4-5 times. Try turning the key to on and wait 20 seconds or so then start the bike. It’s worked for me since. Why type of battery is in the bike ?

I had a similar issue with our Gold Wing.
It was loose wiring at the junction block near the battery - these are wires that route from battery to junction block, then to starter.

So you have a list of things to check, as others have replied
* starter button (clean it)
* neutral interlock switch (hold clutch in to see if it fires up)
* kill switch (clean it)
* sidestand switch (clean it)
* ignition switch
* wiring at / from battery (check looseness)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Fresh owner of used 2008 ST1300. I have a weird intermittent problem with ignition switch.
<SNIP>
Same bike, similar issue. 14K miles now; occasionally behaves like yours.
I've found it to be the ENGINE CUTOFF SWITCH (not a "kill" switch as you've been told - MSF RiderCoach terminology. ;) )
Mine sometimes does not "fully" rock down to Run / On, and a simple press to switch it completely ON solves it. Mine is not a regular problem, and yours appears to be more involved.
I concur with the suggestions offered, and would start with the ENGINE CUTOFF SWITCH / the red rocker.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
(Edited to clarify some points about fuse labelling that I had not made particularly clear. Thanks for the feedback @SMSW.)

Check what other things do / do not come on when ignition is turned on - do the headlights work for example ?

But some quick checks first:
Make sure the gear is in neutral, the side stand is down and pull the clutch lever in. Try it starting it then.
You don't need to do this every time, but it will eliminate 3 of the things that can prevent the bike from starting.

Normally, the bike will always start if it is neutral.
It will start if it is in gear and the the clutch is held in.
It will cut if the engine is running, in gear and the sidestand is put down.
It should start in gear with the clutch held in, but not with the clutch out. Sidestand up.

You should hear the whirr of the fuel pump for a second or two when you turn the key to ignition.
If not, then there is something wrong with either the power in or to the fuel pump circuit - which also powers some ignition components. If you don't hear the fuel pump whirr when you first turn on the ignition, there is no point in even trying to hit the starter.

Check Main Fuse A - this is the 30A fuse on the starter relay to the left hand side of the battery. It is protected by a plastic/rubber sheath. It feeds the 12V supply to the ignition switch. Check the wiring and the plug-in relay in that area. Look for corrosion, damage, melting.
Don't confuse this with the Main Fuse B which sits under the brown cover on top of the battery.

1604588687978.png

There are a number of fuses in two fuse boxes behind the left hand side panel under the seat. The covers are labelled. The circuit diagram available on this forum (coloured) and the Honda manual (black and white) label these fuses with a letter.
Here are a couple of photos of my ST1300A9 fuse boxes, with the letters superimposed. The photo on the left shows the fuse box nearest to the front of the bike.

The colours indicate how the fuses get their power. Green = powered vie ignition switch.
Red = always live, protected by Main Fuse B. Magenta=Always live, not protected at all as far as I can see.

1604588877998.png 1604588893229.png

Fuses A and B are not the same as Main Fuses A and B !!

Check that Fuse D connection / blades are OK. That feeds the power to the run/stop switch.
If there is an issue with the ignition switch, you can probe fuses A B D E F in order to find out if power is getting to the fuse box from the ignition switch. These fuses are all powered when the ignition switch is on.

Then check power is coming out of the Run/Stop switch. You can do this by probing the black wire on the Bank Angle Relay. (Where and how ? Explained with photos and diagram in the linked document below).

I suspect the issue may be before the fuel cut-out circuit but just for completeness - this is a circuit which only activates if it has power from ignition, if the run switch is on, if the bank angle sensor relay is on, if the fuel relay is on and if the return to earth is enabled by the ECM (determined by other things such as neutral switch, clutch switch, side stand switch and such like. The state of the bank angle sensor also turns on and off other ignition features (like the coils), and sends a signal to the ECM which I would imagine (but don't know) that this would prevent the starter button from working.

A detailed diagram and explanation of the Fuel / Ignition Cutoff circuit in the pdf attached to the first post here. Plenty of possible culprits - but it starts with a reliable 12v feed from the ignition switch. The colours on the diagram in this document are taken from the colours in the Honda Workshop Manual.

Some of these switches (eg the neutral) have just one wire - so rely on the return to earth to make/brake the circuit. Earth doesn't just mean making good contact with the frame. It connection to the chassis has got to get back to the battery, so check the -ve battery lead is sound at both ends.

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Unless the 13 is wired differently, the engine should cut off if in gear with the stand down, period.
Yes, it does. Thanks for pointing that out - I was trying to describe ways of easily testing each component and incorrectly combined two ideas into one. Original post corrected.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Malachi:

All of the thoughts and suggestions posted above by other forum members are sensible and worth investigating. The challenge for you now is to determine what order to investigate the various possibilities in, so that you minimize your troubleshooting time and avoid "shotgunning" the problem.

Based on my experience with two STs - a 1100 and a 1300 - I suggest the following order of investigation:

1) The switch assembly on the right-hand handlebar. This contains the starter switch and the big red engine cutoff switch. This switch is a clamshell-type assembly that can be taken apart by removing two fasteners on the underside of the switch. I suggest you separate the two halves and investigate for dirt or crud in the electrical contacts, loose wires, etc. You noted that you have a coffee cup holder on your handlebar - if you are a right-handed person, that holder is probably on the right side, and coffee might have slopped out at one time into the switch assembly.

It is unlikely that any loose parts will fall out of this assembly when you separate the two halves, but just to be on the safe side, have someone hold a towel or other catching device below the switch when you take it apart, & don't take it apart when the bike is parked on grass or gravel where it would be very difficult to find a small part that might fall down.

2) Confirm proper operation of the neutral switch by observing for illumination of the neutral light in the instrument cluster.

3) Visually inspect the side-stand electrical switch for damage & general condition. You can test this switch at the switch terminals if you have a multimeter.

I won't list further troubleshooting actions because I think the three above items have a 90% or greater chance of being the cause of your problems. If you need to go further, @jfheath has provided superb guidance in his post #8 above.

Michael

Top Bottom