I'm done with Penske shocks

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
My penske rear shock is blown. This is the third time this has happened across two bikes. They never make it past 50K miles. The good folks at penske rebuild them for me, quick and not too expensive, and they tell me that the shock should be serviced about every three thousand miles. Three Thousand? Are you serious? Who wants to service a shock THREE TIMES during the Iron Butt Rally?

Rant over. I have a stock shock here that I can put on the bike that will probably last longer than the bike. Anyone have any recommendations for other options?

Bob (aka Jodog)

Race Tech massaged the OEM shock for me and it so far has fit my needs very well. When RT was redoing my OEM shock I bought another low mileage OEM shock as a spare but have not had to change it out for close to 100,000 miles. I can't believe the original has lasted so long.

are you sure they didn't mean 30k miles instead of 3k, that's just ridiculous. Rebuilding a shock every 50k miles doesn't seem excessive to me. That seems to be similar to other brands of aftermarket shocks, but I don't have a lot of experience with all the various options.

The Works shock I had on my old ST1100 would blow the main seal out every 15,000 - 20,000 miles, requiring a service.

If seals tend to get blown out prematurely might that indicate the springs are a little light effectively making the bike ride on the shock and not the spring?

I have no idea as suspension is a mystery to me.

Top Bottom