inner Air Cut Valves - do I need to separate carbs ?

Bike
ST1100AY
I need to replace the diapraghm on all 4 carbs. the inner ones look extremely difficult to access, has anyone successfully replaced them without splitting the carb assembly ?

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
It looks like the plenum chamber has to come off and then the Air Cut Valve screws can be accessed , means I have deal with the stuck mounting screws for sure

Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
It's a real PITA, but I did it without splitting the carbs...keep a large supply of adult expletives handy!

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
It's a real PITA, but I did it without splitting the carbs...keep a large supply of adult expletives handy!
I rounded the screw head and so now I have to split and that is not looking like fun , I guess I just give in and do a complete top to bottom rebuild. Lets hope it all goes back together properly !

It costs around $150 for parts for a rebuild so I'm beginning to think the refurbished carb assemblies on ebay for $300 are actually a good bargain !!

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I rounded the screw head and so now I have to split and that is not looking like fun , I guess I just give in and do a complete top to bottom rebuild. Lets hope it all goes back together properly !

It costs around $150 for parts for a rebuild so I'm beginning to think the refurbished carb assemblies on ebay for $300 are actually a good bargain !!
It's not so bad splitting the carbs. Just take your time and take pictures to reference when putting them back together. Take the carb bodies to a shop that has an ultrasonic tank; it will get the passages cleaner than you ever could with carb dip.

Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
Can you get a pair of long nosed locking pliers onto the screw head that you stripped?

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Can you get a pair of long nosed locking pliers onto the screw head that you stripped?
I will give that a try, I have managed to get enough slack in the carb block to take out the black union pipes which improves access

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
My son is Chair of the Classical Civilizations department at Gonzaga University and teaches Latin and Greek among other things. His collection of graphic novels, comics and books number in the thousands, of which his complete set of hardbound Astérix books is a treasured part. IINM, some are actually in Latin.

I’ve seen the movie with Gerard Depardieu as Obelix. :)

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom