Installing Rostra Cruise Control on ST1100

Thanks, Larry the PN helps a lot.
You're welcome. I already have one on my Nighthawk, and one ready to go on my ST1100.

I started installing car stereo and cruise controls back in the days of 8-tracks (and 4-tracks).

The big decisions are throttle-cable attachment, controller choice, and road-speed reading.

Last edited:
I bought my C.C from Dakota Digital , years ago . I later noticed It seemed like an identical unit to Rostra . On the rear wheel , left side , I made an aluminum disc with 8 magnets glued & thin wired on & used the pickup coil to sense the magnets , for road speed .
( I did not want to get into the ST's electronics deeply , to avoid screwing up ECM or whatever , making the ST less reliable .)

The silver "switch housing" was made out of a hogged out chunk of nylon .

Attachments

• IMG_2038 c c.jpg
    IMG_2038 c c.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7039 c c.jpg
    IMG_7039 c c.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Check your download files. It's a PDF and readable in Adobe.
Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't talking about the doc, I got that just fine. I was referring to the URL for the Rosta unit in the bill of materials. Very nice write-up. My riding partner just got his ST1300PA so I sent him a copy as well. Our spring farkle party is already being planned with steaks and ale when the work is done!

On my Nighthawk, I attached the four little magnets that came with the CC to the cylindrical side of the rear wheel hub with a longer nylon wire-tie. I attached the coil and bracket kit (250-4165) to the swing-arm, bent so the head of the coil bolt points forward.

I used a TrailTech 8500-RS handle-bar switch pod as the controller, with the center button wired as a cancel switch. I wired the kick-stand-down light through a resistor as the 'engaged' light. Bright enough to see in the sun, dim enough to be tolerable at night.

Check out the installations for the 1300, I believe you can get the speed via the ECM and do away with the wheel sensor. You may need a pulse divider if you go that route.

here's a link that might be helpful to you.
Thanks for the tip on the speed sensor. I'm poring over the wiring diagrams and I believe there are a couple of places where I can pull signal - same circuit, just different places to tap in.

On my Nighthawk, I attached the four little magnets that came with the CC to the cylindrical side of the rear wheel with a longer nylon wire-tie. I attached the coil and bracket kit (250-4165) to the swing-arm, bent so the head of the coil bolt points forward.

I used a TrailTech 8500-RS handle-bar switch pod as the controller, with the center button wired as a cancel switch. I wired the kick-stand-down light through a resistor as the 'engaged' light. Bright enough to see in the sun, dim enough to be okay at night.
I've got a non-lighted st1800 right-side switch and was pondering the system active light situation. Thanks for the tip about the side-stand down warning light. Any particular ohm value on the resistor? I've got a bunch of old electronics lying around waiting to go to the recyclers, I'd like to clip one out before I get rid of the stuff.

I happened to have a 50-ohm power resistor handy, which worked out well.

I figured: 3w @ 12v = 1/4a. Then, 1/4a @ 12v = 48 ohms.

Twice the resistance = half the current = 1/4 the wattage.

So the bulb glows at approximately 1/4 brightness (presuming power = lumens)

Top Bottom