Intercoms for multiple bikes (like 4 or 5)

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Every year some men in our family take a Fall Men's trip. There are between 4 and 5 riders most years, the minimum has been 3. My brother and I have a Scala Q2 we use to talk between the two of us, but I'd like the others to participate as well. Anyone have any experience using comms between multiple bikes? like 4 or 5?

I've used my Sena10 with 3 other bikes (4 total riders). Worked well, as long as you get the pairing straight. I bought the Sena because it functions very well and most riders that have comm systems have Senas, at least that's been my experience.

I've used my Sena10 with 3 other bikes (4 total riders). Worked well, as long as you get the pairing straight. I bought the Sena because it functions very well and most riders that have comm systems have Senas, at least that's been my experience.

Paul what does " get the pairing straight " mean?

Paul what does " get the pairing straight " mean?

If 1 is paired to 2 and 2 is paired to 3, all three can hear when all are connected but 1 can't talk to 3 without 2 being connected. That's the gist of it... all can pair to all or you can pair as a train. I'm not an expert at all but that's how it seems to work for me. Sena makes it pretty easy... even when none of us know exactly what to do, it seems we always get all paired up just about every time, and this is with different groups/riders almost every time.

I've got lots of experience with CBs and FRS/GMRS - either of which can be 'fussy' and expensive sometimes. I have the VALK CB system on my ST1100s which works fine with other CBs and I have a FRS/GMRS setup in a tag bag if the group is using that. But with the FRS/GMRS, you have to have some sort of unit like a J&M or an Autocom which is where the money comes in for all the bits and pieces. ;-) If it was a 'frequent' use, it might be worth it, but for an annual trip, the SENAs seem to be a better solution - but I've had no personal experience with them.

. Anyone have any experience using comms between multiple bikes? like 4 or 5?

Sure, I have thousands and thousands of miles of experience. For me the tried and true, designed for motorcycle use, hard-wired CB systems from J&M have worked wonderfully for ~152K/16yrs. You get what you pay for. Jury rigged systems cobbled together will disappoint, in comparison. Having bike to bike communications, especially on a long, multi day trip is essential for me. That takes so much stress out of the ride and allows all the riders (2-4 max, IMO) to enjoy the ride. I consider it a safety issue.

Oh yeah, the CB has saved me an untold number of performance awards, and helped me route around major traffic problems.
Edit: to short stop the inevitable comments - if you don't want to hear the truckers: change the channel!, there's 39 others!

John
via iPhone 6

Last edited:
Sena will pair to most brands not sure about the rest.

To clarify, it will pair as a phone with another brand using one of the phone pairings, not as an intercom pairing. So, it can pair with ONE other brand.
As far as multiples within the same brand, as paulcb explains, they use a daisy chain pairing. Scala has ability for full duplex intercom conversation, not sure Sena has that capability or if you have to keep switching to the rider you want to talk to. I found that somewhat flaky with the Scala G4.... got a Sena 20S now and will know more with experience.......... If we want universal, it would seem FRS/GMRS is the way to go. Sena has a bluetooth module to hook that up but as UP says, you can always go Autocom too.

Last edited:
What you get into the J&M or Autocomm is the price of their stuff - the PTT buttons are usually pretty pricey and they think a lot of the headsets also. ;-) When I rent, I carry my J&M Intergratr IVs with GMRS radios. That's what Alain and I used in New Zealand and they worked fine. The kicker is the 'head' unit is usually cheaper than the PTT buttons (the J&M has one built into the unit) and the required 6 pin headset.

The Senas have full duplex... everyone can hear and talk to everyone else at the same time.

Man, I thought this might be simpler lol. So if you have 4 Senas. Sena 1 has to pair to Sena 2, then Sena 2 has to pair to Sena 3 and Sena 3 has to then pair to Sena 4 and then they will all work simultaneously? If you pair one Sena to another Sena does it stay paired and the next day you just turn them on and they are still paired? Anyone can talk to anyone and everyone and also hear anyone and everyone?

Sure, I have thousands and thousands of miles of experience. For me the tried and true, designed for motorcycle use, hard-wired CB systems from J&M have worked wonderfully for ~152K/16yrs. You get what you pay for. Jury rigged systems cobbled together will disappoint, in comparison.
John
via iPhone 6

John,
Can you suggest some model numbers to look at for a hard wired system? I assume you are not talking about one of those hand held cb radios...

Peter

Man, I thought this might be simpler lol. So if you have 4 Senas. Sena 1 has to pair to Sena 2, then Sena 2 has to pair to Sena 3 and Sena 3 has to then pair to Sena 4 and then they will all work simultaneously? If you pair one Sena to another Sena does it stay paired and the next day you just turn them on and they are still paired? Anyone can talk to anyone and everyone and also hear anyone and everyone?

I'm no sena pairing expert and neither has been anyone else but we always seemed to get paired so it's not too difficult.

John,
Can you suggest some model numbers to look at for a hard wired system? I assume you are not talking about one of those hand held cb radios...

Peter

Sure. Currently available and what I'm using now: JMCB-2003:
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=39
with their full-face helmet headset:
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HS-BCD279-FF
and folding 4' center load ground plane antenna (GL1200 model):
http://wingstuff.com/products/3646-type-3-radio-cb-antenna-for-gl1100-gl1200?sitesync=done

Edit: I did just spend a few thousand miles traveling with a friend that had a Sena wired to a hand-held CB. He added it at the last minute to ride with us but got the wrong cable. He could hear fine but didn't have transmit capability. Worked for us as a group but not ideal.

John
via iPhone 6

Last edited:
John,

Peter

J&M cb , J&Mcb2003 http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/jmcb-2003.htm

Dedicated, water resistant cb system, only thing better in cb would be a built in cb like on the Goldwing's. Easy to use on the road and connect with other cb users. Duo sets can give you intercom with your pillion. and you can input a music source thru the J&M.

Expensive yes, works yes.

Sena SMH 10 checking in; I love mine. I have been on a ride with two other guys and it worked fine. If I can make it work anyone can.

Back
Top Bottom