Interesting ST videos - Rod Rides and Wrenches

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All:

I have just discovered a YouTube channel that has some interesting videos featuring the ST1300. The channel is called Rod Rides and Wrenches and it features a Canadian chap from Vancouver who rehabilitates a nice looking ‘04 ST1300. Here are some videos from the channel:

Rod obviously knows bikes and is a skilled mechanic - although I disagree with some of his statements about noise. The fact is that when you are moving, most of the dangers come from in front and sometimes to the side - while the noise from a louder exhaust is directed entirely to the rear (he does sound measurements - but only from behind the bike).

The other key point is that making sound measurements that are really meaningful is a very complex business and it requires a fair bit of expensive kit - certainly a lot more than an inexpensive sound meter. Rod does understand the logarithmic decibel scale by which sound pressure levels are measured, but the frequency of the sound he measured is not discussed and yet it is a key factor in how human and other creatures perceive sound. Anyhow, I disagree with his conclusions about loud pipe and so do most experts in acoustics.

For my money, the best investment in safety hardware for your motorcycle are a headlight modulator and a brake light modulator. They are easy to install, don’t affect fuel economy or performance nor do they violate emissions standards and best of all, they are proven to actually work in alerting people in front and behind you that you are there.

Otherwise, I found the channel interesting and quite informative.

Pete

Last edited:
Top Bottom