Inverted forks on the 1100. anyone know?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Cool idea. You could prolly find a front end that would use the same size bearings in the neck and be good to go.
Do it!

Bike
92 ST1100
Cool idea. You could prolly find a front end that would use the same size bearings in the neck and be good to go.
Do it!
Doubtful unless finding compatable tripple trees for the fork cyls..............enough money and anything can be built, even tripple trees.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've thought about it using the front end from a Valkyrie. Same steering bearings but don't know about the steering stem length. 18" front wheel (like the 1100) more robust forks and brakes. Pricey tho, looking at breakers. Not that many Valks were built (or wrecked.) Pretty much all the sport bikes with such have 17" wheels. Lots of mix 'n match possible but...

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Doubtful unless finding compatable triple trees for the fork cyls..............enough money and anything can be built, even triple trees.
Yep, I was seeing completete front end swap. Even if the tree were too tall, a custom top clamp should be able to take up the extra length and make it good. As long as the bearing size was the same it should work. There prolly are a bunch of candidates to choose from. Finding those would be the hard part.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Wondering what the point would be?
me too. Inverted forks may have some advantage on a race bike, but for a 700+ lb touring bike it seems kinda pointless. I owned several sport bikes in the late '80s and early '90s that handled 1000x better than the ST, and none of them had inverted forks. But, the ST folks do love to farkle.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I want a Valk front end for the look as much as the flipped forks 'n beefier brakes. ST as a cruiser (GL rear wheel, dark side tar, leather bags with fringes. <ducking> :D)

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
me too. Inverted forks may have some advantage on a race bike, but for a 700+ lb touring bike it seems kinda pointless. I owned several sport bikes in the late '80s and early '90s that handled 1000x better than the ST, and none of them had inverted forks. But, the ST folks do love to farkle.
I agree, but if I were to do it, it would be for the better brakes, not the go fast aspect.
Let's build it George.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I agree, but if I were to do it, it would be for the better brakes, not the go fast aspect.
Let's build it George.
I haven't been in touch with the spec sheets in the last 10 years or so, didn't know that the Valk was known as a braking monster, woulda lost that bet.

The spread of the forks may be too wide to fit cleanly without interfering with fairing bits and the instrument cluster though.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I haven't been in touch with the spec sheets in the last 10 years or so, didn't know that the Valk was known as a braking monster, woulda lost that bet.

The spread of the forks may be too wide to fit cleanly without interfering with fairing bits and the instrument cluster though.
No idea if the Valk would work that is George's vision. No idea what would work, just feel there must be something out there that would work and have great brakes. Again that would be for a rework of the standard. I feel that the ABS system is strong enough to not be worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
No idea if the Valk would work that is George's vision. No idea what would work, just feel there must be something out there that would work and have great brakes. Again that would be for a rework of the standard. I feel that the ABS system is strong enough to not be worth the hassle.
Martin (ST1100Y) claims that in some controlled braking testing the standard model actually stopped a little bit shorter than the ABS model. It was on a thread in the last month or so. In real world panic situations though, I suspect you'd still be better off with the ABS model.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I can react like a little girl sometimes:) so I like that I have the help keeping the rubber rolling and moving where I want it to go. I accept the distance penalty as opposed to having the wheel lock up.
When I got ABS it let me relax knowing I was not going to over apply the brakes.
To each their own, I'm a fan.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I feel that the ABS system is strong enough to not be worth the hassle.
All I really know about the Valk brakes, they're "bigger" than the ST1100 standard. and the 3.5" x 18 wheel puts down more rubber. If I were to do it, it would be on my ol' black STanley (nee ReSTored) with little to no plastic in place, Cruiser STyle. Or ST Bobber if ya prefer. :D

All just conjecture at this point. Lots of work to do on the three running bikes.

Top Bottom