Suits Is a black ‘stich a lot hotter than a lighter color?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Is a black ‘stich a lot hotter than a lighter color?
Yes.

Any dark outer layer in direct sunlight (any brand) absorbs more radiation, reflects less, therefore transfers more thermal energy inward than would happen with a light color.

This can be demonstrated by laying out your black 'stitch (or any jacket) and your light jacket out in direct sunlight and compare their surface temperatures with a pyrometer.

With some brands of jackets, the vents, fabric weave, or under-layers allow more air to move under the dark outer layer, Then, a portion of the thermal energy can be removed before it transfers into your skin. Additionally, while moving, airflow (forced convection) off the exterior of the fabric draws off a portion of the thermal energy that the fabric absorbs.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Yes.

Any dark outer layer in direct sunlight (any brand) absorbs more radiation, reflects less, therefore transfers more thermal energy inward than would happen with a light color.

This can be demonstrated by laying out your black 'stitch (or any jacket) and your light jacket out in direct sunlight and compare their surface temperatures with a pyrometer.

With some brands of jackets, the vents, fabric weave, or under-layers allow more air to move under the dark outer layer, Then, a portion of the thermal energy can be removed before it transfers into your skin. Additionally, while moving, airflow (forced convection) off the exterior of the fabric draws off a portion of the thermal energy that the fabric absorbs.
Your first two paragraphs explain why the surface temperature of the black garment is higher, and your last paragraph explains why it doesn't make any difference.

OP
OP
sirbike

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Looking for more comfort in full sun stop and go traffic, eventually I will order a lighter color R3 light.
Probably tan. I used to care about black not showing dirt, now I wouldn’t care. I only wash my bike once or twice a year. Talk about street.
I’ll keep my black suit for formal events.:)

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Your first two paragraphs explain why the surface temperature of the black garment is higher, and your last paragraph explains why it doesn't make any difference.
Well, it does make a difference, even when moving, even if subtle. It is just a matter of how much so, and exposes any individual's tolerance for the heatup that occurs when not moving.
:)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
beemerphile said:
It's nice to have all the bases covered accurately in one post. This allows you to make an informed decision when you realize that if you're stuck in slow traffic or on the road with a dead bike that there will be situations when the color makes a difference.

A choice based on an informed decision is good as we all don't have the same preferences.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
It's nice to have all the bases covered accurately in one post. This allows you to make an informed decision when you realize that if you're stuck in slow traffic or on the road with a dead bike that there will be situations when the color makes a difference.

A choice based on an informed decision is good as we all don't have the same preferences.
You can use logic to stake out a position, but I don't think you can ever really determine the.answer empirically. I have black suits (BMW ComfortShell, and Klim Badlands), a hi-viz suit (Olympia), and a light grey one piece Aerostich. In summer when not moving they are all HOT. I don't think I could go home, change suits, and come back to see if one was better than the other. I cannot say from wearing them for years that any of them are noticeably better than the other when stopped. In motion, the ranking is determined by how well they vent and not what color they are. The ComforShell vents better than the Badlands which vents better than the Aerostich. The coolest I have are the two black vented jackets (BMW Venting Machine and Klim Induction). They are cooler moving or stopped than any of the others.

If I"m in slow traffic I often unzip it as far as possible. If I have a dead bike it is coming off. The best hot weather solution I have found is the BMW ComfortShell suit trading out for the Klim Induction jacket when it gets over about 80-85 degrees. Both of these are black. Now that my ComfortShell is road worn, I"m using the Badlands more. I'm not looking for a light grey Badlands hoping it to be cooler. If I need cooler, on goes the Induction. I don't really like the Venting Machine for comfort/fit reasons. If I expect the weather to be really hot on a trip, I'll forgo the Aerostich because it doesn't vent very well. Even moving at temps over 85 it is hard to bear.

Logic tells me black is hotter, but 50 years on motorcycles doesn't confirm it.

Reactions: T_C
OP
OP
sirbike

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Today I was able to experience the difference. I have added a second R3 to the wardrobe. Tan with hi viz.
Fashion wise Hi viz was hard for me to taken but I almost got rear ended while my order was pending and changed the to hi viz ballistics.
It’s not a lot cooler.
It’s certainly less hot.
I has been 91 and sunny here in Virginia today.
At full highway speed I find it better.
35-45 much better.
At a stop it takes longer to build up heat.
Not a big enough difference for commuting and errands so I have a mesh jacket and some pant for that.
I am happy with the new stich for traveling.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
It's all subjective. Some people will feel the difference and some won't. Can't say how a dark color wouldn't heat up faster than a light one. It's just physics. The wearer just might not be as affected by it. I have a banana yellow with silver accents, Stich. Picked it up used. I find it barely tolerable over 80F, and it's off at 85F, or if I'm stuck in traffic.

So I ride to work in the Stich, and home in jeans and a Tourmaster mesh&armor black jacket. Again, Tourmaster is great, nice and cool. But being black, with no airflow in traffic, its still hot.

I try to be ATGATT, but 85+F and 100% humidity? I gotta do something to cool down a bit, or it's A.C. in the car....

Best thing about a used Stich, is all the stains and grime that don't wash off. Instant street cred!

RT

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I recently purchased a fairly good quality infrared thermometer to use for various projects. I believe it is reasonably accurate plus or minus a few degrees (a glass coffee pot of boiling water showed 209, my wrist showed 98, etc.)

My brother-in-law parked his bike in our driveway a couple of weeks ago on a near record breaking day (for NH). Air temp 98F, feels like temp 104F.

He arrived when temps were still in the low 80s. He draped his motorcycle jacket over his windshield with the outside back facing the sun. The top half of the back of his jacket is a pale white, the bottom half is black. At the high point of 98F day the infrared indicated the pale white top half was 124F and the black bottom half 158F. His black seat, which was more right angle to the sun was 189F.

I've owned mostly black motorcycle jackets for most of my 37 years of riding. A couple of years ago I noticed that the lighter color jackets were cooler to the touch in bright sun than my black ones - so my last two jackets have been light colored. I don't pretend to know or understand whether jacket technology is supposed to help keep the jacket cooler once moving. All I know is that my butt thermometer says I'm cooler in lighter colors, moving or not. They do get dirty quicker but I'm fine with that trade off.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The top half of the back of his jacket is a pale white, the bottom half is black. At the high point of 98F day the infrared indicated the pale white top half was 124F and the black bottom half 158F.
When you were taking the temps were you shooting the white and black portions or did you shoot the interior of the jacket in the same areas.

No argument about light and dark colors and their reaction to sunlight but the suit's transmission of that heat to the rider as well has trapping body heat are also a consideration.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I recently purchased a fairly good quality infrared thermometer to use for various projects. I believe it is reasonably accurate plus or minus a few degrees (a glass coffee pot of boiling water showed 209, my wrist showed 98, etc.)

My brother-in-law parked his bike in our driveway a couple of weeks ago on a near record breaking day (for NH). Air temp 98F, feels like temp 104F.

He arrived when temps were still in the low 80s. He draped his motorcycle jacket over his windshield with the outside back facing the sun. The top half of the back of his jacket is a pale white, the bottom half is black. At the high point of 98F day the infrared indicated the pale white top half was 124F and the black bottom half 158F. His black seat, which was more right angle to the sun was 189F.

I've owned mostly black motorcycle jackets for most of my 37 years of riding. A couple of years ago I noticed that the lighter color jackets were cooler to the touch in bright sun than my black ones - so my last two jackets have been light colored. I don't pretend to know or understand whether jacket technology is supposed to help keep the jacket cooler once moving. All I know is that my butt thermometer says I'm cooler in lighter colors, moving or not. They do get dirty quicker but I'm fine with that trade off.
Motorcycle jackets are pretty good at insulating the outside from the inside. Measurements of the inside of the jackets would be helpful for complete comparison. Clearly dark colors absorb more heat from sunlight but how much is transferred to the lining? Then we must consider ventilation and movement of air when riding.

My latest clothing buy is a black (only color available) full textile BMW GS Dry jacket. It has contrasting white patches for conspicuity but it’s definitely not hi-viz. It’s heavy and thick like an Aerostich Darien but it has four large vents well placed and the cuffs are over-large with an internal stiffener that forms the wrist opening into a scoop. I’ve ridden with it in 95 F and as long as I am moving it’s comfortable and cooler than the 1 pc yellow hi-viz Aerostich that has been my choice in 90+F. For less than 90 I usually choose mesh in black/gray with hi-viz patches sewn on the upper torso front and back.

Mesh in 93 F plus removes more water from the body than solid textile does.

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
When you were taking the temps were you shooting the white and black portions or did you shoot the interior of the jacket in the same areas.

No argument about light and dark colors and their reaction to sunlight but the suit's transmission of that heat to the rider as well has trapping body heat are also a consideration.
That's a good question - wish I thought of it at that time. I have a similar colored jacket. Temps will be close to 90F this weekend. I will experiment and report back.

Top Bottom