Is There A Fuse In There!

How can I tell if a wire has a fuse inline? I'm trying to pull this wire out on another bike to look but it's caught up under the tank. Can I put an Ohm meter on it to tell if there is a fuse already inline, and if so, will it tell me what size fuse?

I'm thinking this guy didn't put a fuse on this wire, a good idea is to put the fuse in an easy to get to location and from what I've seen on the other farkles, he did. This one wire, however, does not appear to have a fuse, to which I can correct, but I don't want to put in a 15 amp fuse if there is a 5 amp fuse hidden somewhere.

Don't believe an ohm meter is going to help you, unless the fuse is blown. The only time a fuse should show resistance is when it is about to blow. Best bet is hook a new wire to the old one and pull it through to the farkle. Then install a fuse on the new wire in an accessible place. As it sits if you can not see (and therefore could not change) an inline fuse, you would have to replace it all if the fuse did blow.

Hmm. Normally you would put a fuse in as close to the supply as possible.
If there isn't one there it's not going to do much good at the other end:confused:

Putting an ohm meter on the line will give you a total resistance but without knowing the length of the wire, gage, resistance of crimps and connections what would you compare it to.

Just thinkin out loud but likely the fuse resistance isn't something big enough to discriminate.

The only down side to using the existing wire as a messenger to pull a new one is you don't know the routing and it's not secured to keep from chafing.

The only down side to using the existing wire as a messenger to pull a new one is you don't know the routing and it's not secured to keep from chafing.[/QUOTE]

:rd13: Chafe protection is really important. There are also major differences in wire quality. Some of the insulation is very resistant to abrasion, high temperature, chemicals; some insulation is not much.

Jacketed marine grade stranded duplex wire isn't a bad choice if you aren't using flex loom etc.

Fuel resistant and 105c temp rating. The jacket gives and extra layer of abrasion protection.

Um, an Ohm meter is only going to tell you something if it is connected to both ends of the wire....thus you would already know if it had an in-line fuse. ;)

So the Ohm meter doesn't do what I was hoping, also got a direct call from Ray while I was under the bike trying to figure out where the wire was going. Thanks for the call Ray!

With more gentle tugging I found the last tie-band that needed to be clipped to get a better 'feel' for the wire, and NOPE, no fuse. I can't understand why the guy didn't put a fuse in there, everything was done so well. Oh well, one is in place (the wire size is good) and things are buttoned back up.

Thanks everyone.

Carl, I like the way you think!

--Mark

There's always a $1000 dollar solution to a $10 dollar problem if you think it thru. :rolleyes::D

You must do government bids... :D

:crackup:crackup:crackup
I was mostly on the mfg and test end WAY back in the times of cost+ contracts. To be fair the stuff done back then still gets reported by the media as cutting edge 25 years later.

8+ sig layer double side alumina gold trace thick film substrate custom sub-hybrid populated surface mount <ACL> LASER trimmed </ACL>... phase shifter driver SEMs didn't come off the shelf at radio shack :)

OTOH we didn't really need a 90k relay tester in 1985 dollars to play the use it or loose it budget game.:rolleyes: ..Then again the Navy gets cranky when they hit the party on button and things don't fall out of the sky, sink or implode.

Back
Top Bottom