Itchy Boots

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
She has said a few times that she sold pretty much everything she owned, liquidated her retirement assets, and set off.
If you read her section "About me" on her Itchy Boots site, it says she got rich in gold mining then backpacked the world for 2 years until broke and then went back to work for 5 years with an international contractor. Traveled the world with that but missed being a "full time" traveler so she quit, sold her possessions and hit the road.
Doing trips like she does cannot be cheap. Even though she's staying in some pretty small places, some for one night others for two or more, when you factor in the cost of fuel, at least 2 meals a day, housing, repairs/maintenance and new gear my guess is she's got some money saved up. Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy her videos and outlook on life and to be quite honest I wish I could do it or even wished I had done it. I would certainly buy her a meal or tank of gas if I crossed paths with her just to be able to say I met her and live vicariously through her video blog.

Skip

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
If you read her section "About me" on her Itchy Boots site, it says she got rich in gold mining then backpacked the world for 2 years until broke and then went back to work for 5 years with an international contractor. Traveled the world with that but missed being a "full time" traveler so she quit, sold her possessions and hit the road.
Doing trips like she does cannot be cheap. Even though she's staying in some pretty small places, some for one night others for two or more, when you factor in the cost of fuel, at least 2 meals a day, housing, repairs/maintenance and new gear my guess is she's got some money saved up. Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy her videos and outlook on life and to be quite honest I wish I could do it or even wished I had done it. I would certainly buy her a meal or tank of gas if I crossed paths with her just to be able to say I met her and live vicariously through her video blog.

Skip
Agreed - I think that nearly everyone has thought of doing this type of thing....but something always gets in the way. I guess Noraly just decided that NOTHING would get in her way. I like the calm, happy and graceful way in which she deals with the world and its trials and tribulations. We have become quite absorbed in her journey and sometimes watch 5 or 6 episodes in an evening.

I went on Noraly's website and contributed a few schekels to her fuel fund - painless and easy to do.

I must say, there is another woman solo mototreker but I don't find her videos nearly as interesting or informative. They mainly seem to consist of loud music and her jumping around and doing pirouettes for the camera. Cute the first couple of times, but, frankly, not worth watching beyond that.

Now - Old Guy on a Bike - he's keeping us waiting for new episodes......:cool:

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I too just finished watching episode 40 season two... “big smile on my face”. I think we know that expression all too well.....
She’s extremely good at using a selfie stick whist riding, excellent shots. The last couple of episodes also feature her replacement drone. Amazing views captured on video.
I’m in awe.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I too just finished watching episode 40 season two... “big smile on my face”. I think we know that expression all too well.....
She’s extremely good at using a selfie stick whist riding, excellent shots. The last couple of episodes also feature her replacement drone. Amazing views captured on video.
I’m in awe.
All camera work (hand held/stick/drone,whatever) is always perfectly framed.
How the heck does she do that?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I need to go full-time lol. Working on my dance moves over the winter and have a "shower in the wild" scene planned for next summer.
Google 'Matt dancing around the world' and watch him dance around the world.....

Bike
2010 ST1300
Many years ago I hitchhiked around Europe for a summer. Sure I had fun, and enjoyed it, but after a while I got lonely for good friends who I knew and knew me. I missed meaningful conversations w/o a language barrier. It was always somebody/something new. I think Noraly's a very special person - and this kind of life is her cup of tea. Not mine, though I do wish I could do it and enjoy it as much as she apparently does.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'm still following Itchy Boots and Dhanno (her Royal Himalayan). I really didn't expect to surreptitiously enjoy her adventure as much as I do.

Maybe because it's winter here and I can't ride as much as I'd like, but Itchy Boots and Old Guy on a Bike are filling a very big hole in my desire to get out there and ride.

Thanks to both of you ardent riders.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This past weekend I went to the motorcycle show, I wanted to see the Royal Enfield up close...the new 650 offerings are quite nice. I then searched out the Himalayan motorcycle...it is a very comfortable bike, I was impressed...the ergonomics are rather good. I was also amazed at how many people commented there’s the “Itchy Boots” bike!
Nice drone shots in her latest video too, though too bad about the windscreen. :(

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Google 'Matt dancing around the world' and watch him dance around the world.....
It's "Where the Hell is Matt?" Great videos. I've been to many of those places but he looks like he had more fun...

It's "Where the Hell is Matt?" Great videos. I've been to many of those places but he looks like he had more fun...
Viewed one of his videos - a compilation - NOT impressed.

And back on track ... I noticed folks offering to ship a new windscreen to Noraly if the bike shop falls through, which they won't, 'cause it's good PR.

At some point, we'll buy her 4-5 tanks of fuel. The wife even suggested we offer her the barn apartment if she passes by close enough.

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Being pretty doesn't hurt, but I firmly believe she could be plain and still have a huge following. I've watched just about all her videos on YouTube and can count on my fingers the number of negative comments she has made about accommodations, meals, service or other experiences. I have traveled some similar areas and I can guarantee she has had some awful experiences that she doesn't include in her videos. Always a smile and positive attitude and that is like honey to a fly. Pure love of riding and she knows how to share it! I look forward to tomorrow's installment.

Being pretty doesn't hurt, but I firmly believe she could be plain and still have a huge following. I've watched just about all her videos on YouTube and can count on my fingers the number of negative comments she has made about accommodations, meals, service or other experiences. I have traveled some similar areas and I can guarantee she has had some awful experiences that she doesn't include in her videos. Always a smile and positive attitude and that is like honey to a fly. Pure love of riding and she knows how to share it! I look forward to tomorrow's installment.
Agreed.

I recently watched 4-5 videos from another young female solo rider and in a couple of videos she complains, which, actually, is understandable - we all complain about things that bother us or the bad day we had.

And suddenly I thought to myself, "I dont want to watch [more videos of] this young woman complain ... let's go see what Noraly is up to today" :thumb:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
JPrieST said:
I can guarantee she has had some awful experiences that she doesn't include in her videos. Always a smile and positive attitude
I'm sure she learned to manage her expectations even before leaving home base. Makes it much easier to enjoy the ride. And being a pretty female alone on a bike has probably had its own hitches in the gitalong that guys would never see.

I saw a Royal Enfield at the Progressive (?) show in Long Beach 2 years ago and liked it a lot. It wasn't the Itchy Boots model but it was a beauty - a modern classic look.

But I had no idea it would be that hearty of a bike to take a world trip on. Or that they make a bike that is world trip compatible. I thought they made a great scooter if you're not in a hurry or don't venture far from home with it. After all where would you get it repaired.

I'd like to think that viewing the commercials and donations here and there are giving her a cushion that would help cover anything below a catastrophic incident. I have to catch up on the episodes!

Top Bottom