I've doubled my fleet

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
My Mavic Mini arrived today! I'm stoked. Looking forward to getting some air time. ;) I now have two drones. the second being a Yuneec Breeze, it's also a beginner drone, however, it's over the 250gm and requires a permit, The Mavic Mini doesn't. You still have to abide by all the regulations that the bigger drones' have to, but you don't have to register it. It is lacking some features like object avoidance and track me as well as way points but I'm not doing any adventure riding so those features aren't required for my purposes. A new learning curve.

ll post later in this thread my impressions.

Attachments

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
My Mavic Mini arrived today! I'm stoked. Looking forward to getting some air time. ;) I now have two drones. the second being a Yuneec Breeze, it's also a beginner drone, however, it's over the 250gm and requires a permit, The Mavic Mini doesn't. You still have to abide by all the regulations that the bigger drones' have to, but you don't have to register it. It is lacking some features like object avoidance and track me as well as way points but I'm not doing any adventure riding so those features aren't required for my purposes. A new learning curve.

ll post later in this thread my impressions.
Congrats on doubling your drone fleet.
Look forward to some great videos.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
We will have to call you Lieutenant General Roberts the commander of STowners airforce. I have toyed with the idea of a drone a couple of times but never bought one.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My only exposure to a drone was about a month ago. My wife and I stopped at a state park and walked down to the beach by the lake. It was a quiet, sunny but cool day. There were maybe half a dozen people there, and one guy was flying a drone and buzzing the beach. While he did not buzz any of the people, it was intrusive and noisy whenever it was nearby.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
My only exposure to a drone was about a month ago. My wife and I stopped at a state park and walked down to the beach by the lake. It was a quiet, sunny but cool day. There were maybe half a dozen people there, and one guy was flying a drone and buzzing the beach. While he did not buzz any of the people, it was intrusive and noisy whenever it was nearby.
They do sound like a bunch of angry hornets. I’m mindful of where I fly it and try to make sure no one is in the vicinity.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I wouldn't go out of my way to bug anybody but if I'm in a legal fly zone operating legally then that's ultimately all I care about. Drone pilots have to make a lot of concessions to fly legally. Some people will have to make some concessions to a little droning. Think of it as a flying ST with Delks and the baffles removed.

I’m mindful of where I fly it and try to make sure no one is in the vicinity.
Always a good start. As far as I'm concerned anybody who comes afterwards will know what's up and is free to go somewhere else if they're not happy. And giving a drone a little elevation does reduce the sound.

Some guy was throwing a frisbee on the beach for his big Lab to fetch. Not crowded and a good stretch of open beach. I like watching dogs fetch frisbees and this one would go into the water to get it. A family comes along and sets up nearby. All is well for about 5min when one of the little kids sees the dog run by maybe 20-25' from him and freaks out. The dad goes to frisbee man and says 'My son is scared of big dogs. Could you go somewhere else.' Unsat. Frisbee man says 'No but you can' and continues. Dad's not happy kiddo screams and wife says 'Let's move'. Problem solved. Compromise works.

Can't wait to read your observations of the MM and see some footage.

Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
Drones? Wonderful. As if we don't have enough violations of our privacy already...

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Drones? Wonderful. As if we don't have enough violations of our privacy already...
I understand that point of view.
There are more stringent rules coming into play over the next year on where you can fly and the tracking of drones. “Track me” software will be enabled on drones and their flight paths will be tracked in real time, violations of laws will have consequences. (That’s the theory).
My house is in a flight restricted zone, my drone will not be allowed to take off, the software prohibits it. My neighbours are safe from me, and I from them.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
So if your drone is flying over me invading my privacy and I shoot it down, then what? Not trying to be antagonistic but recently had one hovering over my house and shop and you have to wonder is someone casing the joint? I'm assuming the shoot down would be on camera. Surely this has happened somewhere.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
So if your drone is flying over me invading my privacy and I shoot it down, then what? Not trying to be antagonistic but recently had one hovering over my house and shop and you have to wonder is someone casing the joint? I'm assuming the shoot down would be on camera. Surely this has happened somewhere.
It reminds me of an old joke.
This older Italian gentleman who lived by an airport was defending himself in court after having shot down a helicopter. He tells the judge.
" When an areoplane flies over my house and shakes the windows and rattles my doors I do a nuting.
When a jet a plane flies over my house and shaka my house, shaka my windows and rattle my doors I do a nuting
But when a helicopter fly over my house and goes wap, wap, wap...... I shoota it down!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So if your drone is flying over me invading my privacy and I shoot it down, then what?
With any luck you'd go to jail. But practically speaking and being TX probably nothing. But it's highly likely you have no legal right to shoot down a drone any more than shooting somebody peeping in your window.

Gotta love the attitude "If it's a drone it must be violating my privacy". It's rampant. It ruins kiltman's Fun with Drones thread. And I guess I didn't help. Sorry about that km.

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
If you live in an unincorporated area and own the air/mineral rights to your property you might be okay legally shooting the drone for trespassing (might, I'm no lawyer) but it is never a good idea to indiscriminately fire any type of projectile at an airborne target.
[QUOTE

Gotta love the attitude "If it's a drone it must be violating my privacy". It's rampant.
But it's highly likely you have no legal right to shoot down a drone any more than shooting somebody peeping in your window.

You have just equated drones with someone peeping in my window, hence making my point.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You have just equated drones with someone peeping in my window, hence making my point.
Uh no I did neither. I used one example of actual trespass with intent along with an example of imagined/presumed trespass. Your equating the 2 as the same makes my point.

Before anybody contemplates shooting at a drone bear in mind that at the very least a reasonable person would get of their dead ass and talk to local law enforcement about the use of firearms and specifically "what will happen to me if I feel my privacy is invaded... blah blah".

People have been arrested for shooting down drones. Their defense was "I felt..."

That alone should give anybody pause. Possibly some haven't done any time or even paid a fine. I don't need to follow up. Just knowing that I'd have to hire a lawyer when charged with a criminal offense with a firearm is deterrent enough for me. That and the fact I'm a reasonable guy with shoot-no shoot experience. Or you can be a test case for your state.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I started this thread because the topic had come up in the "Itchy Boots" thread. A majority of us enjoyed the drone footage in her episodes, I for one really looked forward to seeing the drone shots. Mostly because it gave another point of view, it wasn't as flat as the GoPros images. The drone images were stunning, I was not alone in this opinion. Hence a question the type, quality, and brand of drone.
There are members here, that do videos of their travels, and some of us are thinking of adding a drone to our camera collection. Depending on the drone you choose, will have an impact on whether you have to register it or not or aquire a pilots license or commercial license. That being said, just because you don't have to register it, doesn't mean you can ignore the laws governing the operation of a drone.
I'm willing to carry on this conversation by PM

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not owning a drone - yet maybe - I'm really interested in your experience and observations of piloting them. I'll not derail any of your posts. I don't want to detract from the learning and entertainment value of piloting a drone. Apologies for doing so here. That said PM is also good.

Top Bottom