I've just purchased a gently used 2007 Honda Goldwing! Well not so gently used but it's a Goldwing.

The reality is given ANY modern engine, proper oil changes and maintenance as specified, 300K is not a problem. I cannot remember the last engine I've seen that was "worn out" without some other issue playing a large factor. Modern lubricants and machining tolerances is what got it there.

RT

We're going to give t a go and see how the engine holds up ager a new clutch, timing chain, and avery hose to be replaced. Thank everyone for their support and information on this Goldwing build.

Last edited:
Yea, but he's replaced the motor three times... and that was as of 2017

@caldercay, where did you see he has changed his engine three times ?
There are many account of people who have reached 350, 400 thousand miles on their ST or Goldwind without any mechanical problems, just regular maintenance.

I think, the biggest obstacle to reach such a high milleage ( a million miles), is that you have to keep your bike for a very long time (41 years for the guy in wisconsin) and keep a high average year mileage every year.

[edit] : yeah, OK, I found it. You were right @caldercay.
A local newspaper, where the guy lives, mention it. Geee, that is an important info a lot of sites "forgot" to mention.

Last edited:
Yeah, but all the motors, except one that had a bent rod, went well past 300K. Half that is no big deal.

RT

I love high mileage, meticulously maintained vehicles. Buy 'em cheap, run the snot out of them. Never had a serious mechanical engine problem. It's always the ancillary systems. 150K is low mileage.

RT

Uggggggg! I just placed a new battery in my gently used Goldwing and about had kittens when the odometer read 161,900 miles! That means it's time for a low mile engine and transmission from Ebay. Oh and I washed the bike if that matters. This project will take longer than I intended!
I know someone who didn't make a good deal...:)

It would be this guy. lol!
Easy, now.
OP said he wanted it.
What I'm reading is, YOU wouldn't have bought it. Maybe me neither.
But I've done several things most of y'all wouldn't have done. Hell, I've done things *I* won't do ever again.
But that's another story.

Well, Ladies and Gents, I've purchased a complete drivetrain for the Gold Wing from eBay with only 2,800 miles on it. The bike that the drivetrain came out of was totaled from bent forks and fairing damage. I'm not sure why I decide to take on these types of projects when it's just about to be the beginning stages of another hotter-than hell summer here in Arizona.

I'm not sure why I decide to take on these types of projects when it's just about to be the beginning stages of another hotter-than hell summer here in Arizona.
It really does get warm, doesn't it? I had family move there and trips to an office my company has the last few years, and I'm always taken aback by the heat. I thought bailing hay in WI in the 90s + high humidity was bad, but it wasn't an oven as long as you were outside.
I don't recall if anyone mentioned, but goldwingdocs is a fantastic source of information. I get their news email and usually read through some threads, and I don't even have a GW.

Well, Ladies and Gents, I've purchased a complete drivetrain for the Gold Wing from eBay with only 2,800 miles on it. The bike that the drivetrain came out of was totaled from bent forks and fairing damage. I'm not sure why I decide to take on these types of projects when it's just about to be the beginning stages of another hotter-than hell summer here in Arizona.

So what turned out to be wrong with the original engine?

It really does get warm, doesn't it? I had family move there and trips to an office my company has the last few years, and I'm always taken aback by the heat. I thought bailing hay in WI in the 90s + high humidity was bad, but it wasn't an oven as long as you were outside.
I don't recall if anyone mentioned, but goldwingdocs is a fantastic source of information. I get their news email and usually read through some threads, and I don't even have a GW.
Though humping it from the trailer into the loft in the barn was nasty work.

I don't recall if anyone mentioned it, but goldwingdocs is a fantastic source of information. I get their news email and usually read through some threads, and I don't even have a GW.
I agree, goldwingdocs.com is a great source of information and there are some very talented people there who are willing to help, just like this site. I am on my3rd Goldwing and my 1st ST1300.

Thank you for the website. I'll for sure look into it.

So what turned out to be wrong with the original engine?
This bike was not at all well taken care of. I honestly think it was owned by someone that used it as a work truck in the construction industry. There were a ton of screws, tools amongst other things used in the construction trade. The bike is was not taken care of AT ALL.

Back
Top Bottom