Just arrived

Hello. I am buying a 2005 ST1300 that appears well kept for an 18-year-old sport tourer. Has 31K on the odometer and upon my inspection cannot find anything wrong. No apparent leaks and the engine sounds smooth.

Any advice on this bike? The current owner is a motorcycle person to the highest degree.......has 16 bikes total that he rides and said his only complaint as this is his third ST is the heat that can be really bad that the bike emits from the fairing area. He said this is really only a issue on like days you ride in the 80's or better.

I have had obviously motorcycles in the past but never a sport tourer. I was looking at Yamaha and Kawasaki too but this bike like I said is very well kept and seems like a good find.

I bet one call to the white courtesy phone, and I could point out, and explain how to correct over a dozen things :rofl1:
Welcome to the forum.
If you need any assistance, I’m on the RAN LIST AZ.
Call me if you have any questions.

Welcome from Auckland, New Zealand. I also ride a 2005 with 127000km. The things to watch out for on an older bike would be the thermostat (which likes to stick open) and the linked brakes, which are good feature but unforgiving if not kept in tip-top order. Other thank that, the age and mileage are of no concern, particulalrly if the bike has been well-loved by the PO. You may want to take a close look at the tyres as they could be getting on a bit in age.

Welcome. Igofar is a living encyclopedia of the ST. A well sorted ST I believe to be the best all around sports tourer. The heat issue must vary some bike to bike as on my ‘06 it’s not been an issue. The bike’s slow speed manners, superlative handling in the twisties and great ergos and wind protection make it the best kept secret in the sports touring class. I think you’ll love it.

Test ride it and get it above 4k RPM for a little bit to make sure you don't get the FI light blinking... could be an bad ECU which are tough to find for pre-2008 bikes and getting harder for those as well. It will self-test when you first pull away which is fine.

The heat is subjective. Some folks are just more sensitive to it than others and some bikes are worse than others, there are some small adjustments so not a deal killer unless you notice it immediately.

Most anything else can be dealt with. It's an aging bike that will have age-related issues, just like US.

Welcome from Auckland, New Zealand. I also ride a 2005 with 127000km. The things to watch out for on an older bike would be the thermostat (which likes to stick open) and the linked brakes, which are good feature but unforgiving if not kept in tip-top order. Other thank that, the age and mileage are of no concern, particulalrly if the bike has been well-loved by the PO. You may want to take a close look at the tyres as they could be getting on a bit in age.
He put a new set on with only about 1000 miles on these from a trip to WV and back to NC. They appeared to still have a bit of mileage left.

I bet one call to the white courtesy phone, and I could point out, and explain how to correct over a dozen things :rofl1:

Welcome @Germanrazor !

I have a 2005 with 92k on the clock and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Larry is a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help. He may know more about the ST13 than Mother Honda LOL.

Should you have any doubts about his ability to remotely diagnose ST issues, read my review (here). Please test the ECM as @Mellow suggests, as it may spare you from a lot of frustration.

If everything checks out, the best thing you can do for the bike is flush the hydraulic fluid in the brake and clutch lines early and often. DAMHIK!

Any advice on this bike?

RPM for checking if the ECU is in code 25/26 fault mode is a bit over 4K, more like 4200.

Experience with mine is that it came in progressively.

First only occasionally when sustaining higher RPMs. It resets when shutting off the bike. Then it disappeared for a few months, then came back occasionally, when over 4200 for a while (maybe 1/2 hr), then started sticking to the point where the FI light would come on while blipping the throttle with the bike on the stand.

So if the ECU already has the full blown code 25/26 fault mode, it will most likely show up after a few seconds over 4200 RPM (bike doesn't have to be in gear for that).

If not, one hour on the HWY at higher RPMs should give you a better idea.

But even if it doesn't come on now, there is no telling how long it will last after your purchase. It appears to be more age related than mileage dependent.

More and more 1300 on the road with the 25/26 fault. They get a slightly lower MPG.

So not an absolute deal breaker but may give you some bargaining leverage if you see the FI light coming on after starting the bike or riding it at higher RPMs for a while (...make sure the FI light works to begin with...it should come on for a few seconds after turning the ignition on).

Last edited:
Welcome!! I’m a New England rider so I like the heat the engine puts out. It is noticeable but tolerable in the summer……in my opinion. But I ride down to 36 degrees F in the early spring and late fall. I appreciate the heat at those times. Other than the ECU threat, it’s a great ride.

If the ECU is a major issue, why has no after-market company not taken advantage of developing them for a large market as it seems? Necessity has always been the mother of all invention and for some venture minded entity a way to make money!

If the ECU is a major issue, why has no after-market company not taken advantage of developing them for a large market as it seems? Necessity has always been the mother of all invention and for some venture minded entity a way to make money!
Not a large market... even Honda didn't think so and dropped the ST1300 after a few years... most aftermarket businesses are not going to address something that specialized unless they know they'll sell 1000s of units.

I have a 2004 ST and put 122000 miles on it, sold it-then bought it back. It will never leave my butt again, during my time I had a speed sensor go bad and the hoses needed to be replaced. A complete fluid change would be a first on the list. If the previous owner had that many bikes I think the clutch fluid, brake fluid, coolant flush and fork oil maybe overlooked. Coolant is one of the things that are really important in aluminum engines.

Just to be clear... we talk about the flawed "ECU" all the time, but aren't we really talking about the PGM-FI UNIT?

I say this because both here, at my work and as a mentor for kids competing in robotics, terminology is important! And I ALWAYS default to the OEM manufacturer's description to eliminate ambiguity.

And to emphasize, the units are NOT interchangeable between 1st Gen (2007 and earlier) and 2nd Gen (2008 and later) ST1300s. I'm not sure what the practical difference is between "Unavailable" and "Out of Stock".

1699485952727.png
PGM-FI UNIT

38770-MCS-L01

1699486169447.png
Honda 38770-MCS-R12 PGM-FI UNIT
Manufacturer: Honda
OEM Part Number: 38770-MCS-R12
Part: PGM-FI UNIT

Images and P/N info blatantly and unapologetically sourced form revzilla.com

Back
Top Bottom