Just bought the bike and kids lost the only key

I am now in a slight situation as I have no key for my Honda ST1300 and not sure how I can get another key cut and programmed to the bike any ideas would be grateful thanks

Is that in Oz ? Do they have HISS on the bikes over there ? I seem to think that they do.

I have read once that it is possible, but I have not seen anyone confirm it.

The key is programmed to the ECU, and while it is easy to program a new key if you have an existing working key, it is extremely difficult to get a key without an original.

The idea is to make a stolen bike difficult to sell on.

A solution would be to find the same spec bike being broken, that has working keys. Match the model number of the ECM with your own and buy the ECM with the keys. You still need a key cut to fit the ignition pannier and fairing pocket.

The HISS chip can be removed from one key and put into another. In fact the bike will start with the chip held against a non-chipped key.

The problem is a lot easier to solve if they don't have HISS.

Much easier to find the lost key. Phrases like 'Where were you when you remember having the key". Are tried and tested methods.
I'm finding it hard to imagine a scenario where my kids would have my bike keys in the first place. Unless they are teething. Then anything that fits in a mouth will do.

Last edited:
Craig, You will have to go to take your bike to your local Honda dealer and he will be able to programme a new key for you. Might be worth giving them a ring first.

Hope this works out for you.

Welcome to the forum, Craig! Best of luck finding a solution for your ST. Hopefully, you'll be able take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and information it provides. The members here are quick to offer well-seasoned advice and are great to interact with on any number of subjects!

See you around the forum!
Sheriff

I don’t know if Honda can do this but with the BMW you can go to the dealer and they order the key from the factory. When I went to pickup the key they asked for my ID even though they knew me, I guess to prevent me from ordering another person’s key. Maybe Honda also keeps a record matching serial numbers of bikes to keys.

I don’t know if Honda can do this but with the BMW you can go to the dealer and they order the key from the factory.
My guess is that a new BMW key from the factory would cost more than a used ST1300.:rofl1:

A more serious suggestion is to find the key. Presumably it exists and did not find its way into the trash or toilet. Based on what little I know about electronic keys, my first comment was not really facetious - it is likely to be expensive. If need be, rent or borrow a metal detector and go over your yard, maybe organize the kids into a treasure hunt indoors with a decent reward, or just methodically go through the house and look for it. My wife has the find-it gene in our house, maybe your wife has the same talent?

Last edited:
On at least some other Hondas, the key number is stamped on the ignition switch barrel. You have to go through the ass pain of getting at the barrel, which probably sucks really badly on the ST. Without confirmation the ST is this way, it sure would suck to go through all that and find nothing.

The OP hasn't come back with the info as to whether or not his bike has HISS - but he said he needed a key to be cut and programmed - so I assume that he does. Other people in Oz have posted about HISS.

Craig, You will have to go to take your bike to your local Honda dealer and he will be able to programme a new key for you. Might be worth giving them a ring first.

If the bike has HISS, it is only possible for the dealer to program a new key if they have the old one - or at least the old chip. It has to be paired with the ECM that is on the bike. But see the link below,

On at least some other Hondas, the key number is stamped on the ignition switch barrel.

That might help to get the key to turn in the lock, which would be useful. It wont start the bike until the HISS bit is solved.

Here's the post that I read ages back where soemone had success getting a chip to match his ECM.

Is that in Oz ? Do they have HISS on the bikes over there ? I seem to think that they do.

I have read once that it is possible, but I have not seen anyone confirm it.

The key is programmed to the ECU, and while it is easy to program a new key if you have an existing working key, it is extremely difficult to get a key without an original.

The idea is to make a stolen bike difficult to sell on.

A solution would be to find the same spec bike being broken, that has working keys. Match the model number of the ECM with your own and buy the ECM with the keys. You still need a key cut to fit the ignition pannier and fairing pocket.

The HISS chip can be removed from one key and put into another. In fact the bike will start with the chip held against a non-chipped key.

The problem is a lot easier to solve if they don't have HISS.

Much easier to find the lost key. Phrases like 'Where were you when you remember having the key". Are tried and tested methods.
I'm finding it hard to imagine a scenario where my kids would have my bike keys in the first place. Unless they are teething. Then anything that fits in a mouth will do.
Keys have been found minus the chip.

Keys have been found minus the chip.
Can you explain a bit more? I'm not familiar with the HISS system. I would expect that getting the chip out of the key is an involved process - not something easily or accidentally done. What happened? From what the guys said above, you will still face a large task (or bill) to get the bike running again.

My guess is that a new BMW key from the factory would cost more than a used ST1300.:rofl1:
Was just over $100 for the key. Before I picked up the new key I found the lost key in my desk drawer.

The chip is embedded in the key; you prise up one of the wing logos and there it is, usually glued in place.
1595382087685.png
Without at least one, recognised chip I think there is no alternative but to replace the ECM. In order to programme the ECM to accept a new chip, it must first be put into learning mode with a recognised chip. The Honda mothership must have a factory procedure in which a new ECM is instructed to recognise a new chip however.

From the owner's manual:
1595381739237.png

Craig, If you go to a locksmith with your key (minus the chip) they can cut you a new key but will not be able to programme the chip. You will then have to go to a Honda Bike dealer and they can programme the chip for you. I have had this done in Canberra a few years ago.

Top Bottom