Just notice coolant Leak

Doing the maintenance on my newly acquired 07ST. I New front tire on change the oil differential oil needed to flush the brake system it's dirty and the cool its original at 12K. I started it up the day after I started getting the plastics off and I notice A puddle of coolant. Any ideas where I need to start looking when I get the other side off thanks preciate it

OP
OP
Doing the maintenance on my newly acquired 07ST. I New front tire on change the oil differential oil needed to flush the brake system it's dirty and the cool its original at 12K. I started it up the day after I started getting the plastics off and I notice A puddle of coolant. Any ideas where I need to start looking when I get the other side off thanks preciate it
I forgot to include the puddle was next to the center stand and a cool it reserve was very low

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yup, follow the radiator hoses up to the thermostat housing. You will have to take the radiator off and drain the coolant. Many of us have had the original narrow hose clamps leak. Look w/ a good flashlight. You might search for the many other Coolant Leak threads on this website. This is a common problem w/ ST's. I'd suggest changing to another clamp style/system, such as Breeze clamps.

OP
OP
Yup, follow the radiator hoses up to the thermostat housing. You will have to take the radiator off and drain the coolant. Many of us have had the original narrow hose clamps leak. Look w/ a good flashlight. You might search for the many other Coolant Leak threads on this website. This is a common problem w/ ST's. I'd suggest changing to another clamp style/system, such as Breeze clamps.
I didn't get to ride the bike very much because of the weather and the front tire was so worn out it was original. So I've been reading about the maintenance and some of the issues this motorcycle house do you think I should go ahead and change up the thermostat while I've got all the plastic off I believe it was Running well before thanks for the advice

Bike
2010 ST1300
I didn't get to ride the bike very much because of the weather and the front tire was so worn out it was original. So I've been reading about the maintenance and some of the issues this motorcycle house do you think I should go ahead and change up the thermostat while I've got all the plastic off I believe it was Running well before thanks for the advice
I would without hesitation. If original, it is 11 or 12 years old and getting in there is a couple of hours of work. But, fair warning, I tend to be one of those guys who replaces parts prophylactically in anticipation of their imminent failure. Besides, I don't like doing things (draining the coolant) twice.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Replace the thermostat housing O-ring part #91361-MCS-A10, tighten the clamps 1/2 to 1 turn you can reach with the radiator off and the thermostat housing exposed, replace the coolant and move on.

This is a 12,000 mile bike. There will be suggestions from doing nothing to repainting the entire motorcycle. ST1300s commonly leak coolant and it is easy to fix for the cost of the O ring and coolant.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello Barry:

Below is a photo of a 'constant tension' hose clamp. This type of clamp is an upgrade from the standard clamp installed by Honda. The primary advantage of a 'constant tension' clamp is that it maintains a constant tension on the hose despite the considerable temperature variations that occur in the engine area. A secondary advantage of this particular style of clamp is that the inside surface of the clamping area is smooth (none of the serrations used to tighten the clamp come in contact with the coolant hose).

When installing this type of clamp as a replacement for the OEM clamps, correct torque on the clamp is critical. To maintain equal expansion & contraction with temperature variations, the clamp needs to be torqued to 90 inch-pounds (10 N·m).

These clamps are available in a variety of sizes, both individually and in boxes of 10. A box of 10 contains enough to replace all the clamps on a ST and have a few left over. They are often listed on eBay or Amazon. The size you want is "SAE 12".

Michael

Breeze Constant Tension Hose Clamp
IMG_9218.JPG

OP
OP
Hello Barry:

Below is a photo of a 'constant tension' hose clamp. This type of clamp is an upgrade from the standard clamp installed by Honda. The primary advantage of a 'constant tension' clamp is that it maintains a constant tension on the hose despite the considerable temperature variations that occur in the engine area. A secondary advantage of this particular style of clamp is that the inside surface of the clamping area is smooth (none of the serrations used to tighten the clamp come in contact with the coolant hose).

When installing this type of clamp as a replacement for the OEM clamps, correct torque on the clamp is critical. To maintain equal expansion & contraction with temperature variations, the clamp needs to be torqued to 90 inch-pounds (10 N·m).

These clamps are available in a variety of sizes, both individually and in boxes of 10. A box of 10 contains enough to replace all the clamps on a ST and have a few left over. They are often listed on eBay or Amazon. The size you want is "SAE 12".

Michael

Breeze Constant Tension Hose Clamp
IMG_9218.JPG[/Q Thanks for the advice and the size of Hose clamps

OP
OP
I've got all the plastics off ran the bike for 5 minutes it was at 3 bars no water leaking that I can see. I didn't pull the tank up I'll tell you one thing when the Garage is a cold to start the bike up for 5 minutes It makes one heck of a heater. . I did find the main problem with the horn there's no wire running to the horn and I can't find a A wire or connection for the horn

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
My leaks were all just loose hose clamps. Tighten them all and it went away. But I have replaced all the thermostats in all three ST1300s I have owned.
ToddC

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I bought a bunch of the constant pressure breeze clamps,,, and they are still in my parts box. I decided not to use them,,, because the hoses are all grooved by the narrower original clamps. If/when I put on new hoses,,, I will likely use the breeze style then,, on the new rubber. Anyway,,, I just tightened up the narrow clamps,,, and all has been good for 2 seasons (44,000kms) now since I experienced some cold start dripping. That is my experience so far,,, Cat'

ps: I still get some minor seepage at the drain hole,,, same as the last photo. But nothing that wets the floor,,, or that does not seem normal for a ST13. It uses maybe a couple oz's a month of coolant.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Questions have been asked about the torque value of 90 inch-pounds (10 N·m) that I gave for the Breeze constant-tension hose clamps in post #9 above.

Despite considerable research, I could not find a torque value anywhere on the manufacturer's website. I did, however, find torque values for these specific clamps published on several distributors' websites. I have attached below an image of a document specifying torque values.

Three values are given - maximum expansion, maximum contraction, and equal expansion or contraction. Based on my experience using this type of clamp in aviation applications, I think that the value for 'equal expansion or contraction' is the most appropriate specification to use on our motorcycles, but having said that, I would welcome any thoughts from forum members who have a metallurgical engineering background and can comment on differential temperature expansion characteristics between the stainless steel Bellville springs in the hose clamps and the (primarily) aluminum castings of our motorcycle engines.

For those who are curious about how these constant-tension clamps work, Wikipedia has a good article describing them - click here.

Michael

Pages from Breeze Hose Clamps Torque Spec.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Questions have been asked about the torque value of 90 inch-pounds (10 N·m) that I gave for the Breeze constant-tension hose clamps in post #9 above.

IIRC, Blrfl posted a 45 in lb spec a year or two ago. I sent that comment to Michael (CYYJ) and he sent me to his post above (#15). This summer I changed my 'stat' and while I had things exposed, I also changed hoses that I could reach - those two big ones leaving the radiator, one to the 'stat housing, the other to the water pump(?) and fitted Breeze clamps to stem the tide. Two observations here. I found the smaller clamps would not fit over the expanded ring around the radiator's spigots with the hose on, and I was unable to muscle the clamp and hose on over said raised portion together. I ended up buying a few of the next larger size clamps. Second point - in my ignorance, and having only the prior note about 45 in lb torque number I tightened all the new clamps carefully to that 45 spec, and have had no leaks in a couple of thousand miles of riding on them. I'm not drawing any conclusions from this, just noting it.

Michael, I have no idea how you found that chart. My hat's off to you - mc helmet too. I looked high and low (maybe not in the middle?) for a torque spec and decided to call Breeze themselves (well, A.C. McGunnigle) this week. If anyone is bored and wants to ask them questions, their phone number is 908 298-8600.

By the way, these things are also available mail order from McMaster Carr - an enormous industrial hardware store here in Twinsburg, Ohio. Their building is about 2/10 to 1/4 mile on a side, and roughly 40' high. They have a conveyor system inside that looks like Hydra grown extra tentacles. Impressive place.

Top Bottom