Just starting out, looking for basic tool kit mechanic tasks

Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Hi all,
New rider, have a used 1993 st1100, At some point I will start maintaining it, if all goes well, all I'll have to do is basic maintenance. I had the mindset to buy a tool as I need it, but I wonder if there is a basic tool kit that I can buy now to same cost on the long run. I see several on Amazon, but have no clue as to quality, or the specific tools I might need form the start.
Also, as it seems that the basic of it all like changing oil and oil filter would require torque (don't want to guesstimate), what torque wrench would you recommend?
Thanks.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I just purchased one of these:

It's replaced a larger volume of tools in my long-distance kit while taking less space. It'd probably be good as a home kit as well. I haven't had the need to use it yet.

I'm fully aware that it's not the cheapest, however.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
I just purchased one of these:

It's replaced a larger volume of tools in my long-distance kit while taking less space. It'd probably be good as a home kit as well. I haven't had the need to use it yet.

I'm fully aware that it's not the cheapest, however.
It is a nice set though...

Bike
2014 ST1300
It helpfully gives you a list of it's contents so you could purchase individual tools elsewhere as cash allows
Cheaper to buy sets of things - eg spanners, sockets - rather than individual size tools
You don't need the professional ones for occasional/ hobby use
No idea about torque wrenches
I was taught by a mechanic who said the length of the shaft on the spanner dictates the torque used
But I only do the easy things and nothing too critical of fiddly!

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
It helpfully gives you a list of it's contents so you could purchase individual tools elsewhere as cash allows
Cheaper to buy sets of things - eg spanners, sockets - rather than individual size tools
You don't need the professional ones for occasional/ hobby use
No idea about torque wrenches
I was taught by a mechanic who said the length of the shaft on the spanner dictates the torque used
But I only do the easy things and nothing too critical of fiddly!
I figured to buy as I go, considering the basic maintenance tasks first, such as oil change, including filter. If issues come up, then get the proper tools per task.

Bike
VStrom 650
I don't know if you get the budget brand US Pro over there, it's usually very usable and it won't break the bank. Remember you will probably need a set of JIS drivers as the fasteners aren't Phillips.
Upt.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
I don't know if you get the budget brand US Pro over there, it's usually very usable and it won't break the bank. Remember you will probably need a set of JIS drivers as the fasteners aren't Phillips.
Upt.
Thank you. I actually started following recommendations for tools on revzilla site and they do point out the JIS drivers.
I’ll look to see if US Pro is available here. Thanks.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Kobalt tools, from Lowes. U can read sockets easy. I was told/read they are made by Snap-on?
JIS Bits go to Amazon I bought the kit Plastic box with 3 of each poplar bits. Sorry for got the price.
Gear wrench & rackets 1/4 drive.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Both my ST1100 and 1300 came with factory tool kits. My current Triumph did not. The suggested retail on the kit for the Trophy was close to $200 USD. My past experiences with road side maintenance has lead me to pilfer metric wrenchs, hex or whatever from my tool boxes. I simply wrapped them up in an old pouch and take them with me on long trips. Since you're new to the game and sounds like you can ticker then perhaps pickup a maintenance manual for ST. Also our site is a great source of information and friendly members to help with any service you need to perform. Have fun.
We are here for you.
Dave20190406_104717.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Kobalt from Lowes or Icon from Harbor Freight. Sets are nice but Lowes does sell individual sockets for those odd size that are needed.
Crapsman is no longer made in the US and not worth the expense anymore.
A good ratcheting screw driver. I have Snap-on but Icon might make one too.
Yard sale or thrift store finds are out there too.

Top Bottom