K&N Filter

Bike
2012 ST 1300
I have a 2003 ST and was I thinking of replacing the stock filter with the K&N. Is it worth doing?( I know I won't have to replace the filter again)
or am I better to stick with the stock filter?:03biker:

I installed a K&N on my 03 and lost about 4 mpg. Others like them, but I'll run the stock filer from now on.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The stock filter is fine if you're not going to the track (Just my opinion) I put one in my '07 and the MPG dropped about 2 or 3 mpg's... but I liked being able to take it out and just clean it whenever I had the tank up...

I will be putting one in the '03 I'm picking on on Monday :D

I have a K&N and have used it for about 18,000 miles - one cleaning. I replaced the oem filter twice before I got the K&N. I didn't want to pay $38 for another oem. Would I do it again...probably not. I get 3-4 fewer mpg which I don't like and I'm not so sure you can go 12,000 miles before cleaning or changing like with the oem.

I think these claims of losing fuel economy are a bit odd . . . anyone care to offer and explanation for that? It's not plausible that a filter change would cause a rich condition in a closed loop electronic fuel injection system. Are we enjoying some newly found bottom end by using lots of stepoff throttle? It's puzzling.

The K&N filter I just installed in my 07 ST1300 came pre-oiled and ready to install, if someone adds more oil to it before install that would cause problems and make it run rich. These filters were designed for "light" oiling, if your filter is dripping then it is too much. For those who don't know how to maintain a K&N I suggest sticking with OEM. My fuel mileage increased a few miles. The K&N filter is a wonderful filter if serviced correctly and will protect your engine as well as stock. If not serviced correctly it won't perform correctly, if it is damaged it won't protect or work correctly, if installed improperly---I could go on but whatever gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

I have a problem with K & N doing the testing on their dyno as this magazine clip indicated.

It might be OK with you but I have seen significant differences in dyno runs on my own bikes with no changes to the bike at all between runs. There are variables that have to be controlled to validate tests like this and an independent lab needs to do blind tests to make a filter change meaningful.

I think these claims of losing fuel economy are a bit odd . . .

Either it's being over oiled causing rich running (?) and/or fouling the MAP sensor, or it's flowing more air that the FI can compensate for (by richening the F:A) causing an overly lean condition. Either would affect mileage.

if it is damaged it won't protect or work correctly, if installed improperly

But doesn't that apply to OEM as well? I use a stocker in my ST but have used K&Ns in my car and they weren't difficult to install or particularly fragile. It does seem that they are a tad short for the STs and they they need to be sealed so there's no leakage around the filter. Is that correct?

Owning a K&N filter is a bit of an art. I've been oiling my filters for 31 years. My OEM Honda came stock with a foam oil type filter in 82. My used ST1300 came with an K&N.
K&N adds a red die to their oil so as soon as you see it on the filter media, that's enough oil. Put to much, then plugged MAP sensors and poor gas mileage. Again it's not for everyone. If you enjoy once in a blue moon of removing it, flushing out out and watch all the crud go down the drain, dry it out and then re-oil it the go for it.
If you like the maintenance free/ plug and play, pick up a OEM Honda filter.
Now I'll hit the Internet and read about the pros & cons about them.

Just about to add a used K&N to my 1100. On my old Suzuki GS850 I had the "wet foam" style, but it was sprayed with a sticky filter spray - not oil. I can't imagine this is any harder... is it?

Just about to add a used K&N to my 1100. On my old Suzuki GS850 I had the "wet foam" style, but it was sprayed with a sticky filter spray - not oil. I can't imagine this is any harder... is it?

Of course it isnt. You spray the red oil on the filter and let it sit for 20 minutes or so, during which time the cotton gauze 'wicks' the oil. If you see whitish areas, you lightly re-spray that area. I also wipe the base area of the filter to remove any oil that has been sprayed on that rubber area. I've used K&N since my first bike in 1978....granted, I haven't put 1,000,000 miles on a single engine but have also yet to lose an engine to crud that has been ingested.

This can be alot like an oil thread run wht you like if you want to pay $30+ evry time you change the filter go stock if not go K&N. Everyone will have an opinion and they differ greatly. I have over 114000 miles on my ST probably about 80K with the K&N all trouble free.

Just calculated my mileage for city driving, mainly back one forth to work. 36 MPG with a K&N, were you seeing better that that in the city.

I keep my bike in good tune and the mpg AVERAGE always runs between 39mpg and 45 mpg. I commute daily on freeway, two lane roads, as well as city surface streets.
On the freeway at an indicated 75 mph, it normally reads 52 to 58 mpg. Even when I'm running hard up twisty mountain roads, it normally reads 47 to 50 mpg, then shows an average of39 to 40 mpg. Stock Filter, Stock plugs, HDEO, TB Sync about every 8-10K (my normal commute service time for new tires and tune up).
My bike had a K&N filter in it when I got it, and I too was only getting 36 mpg on average.

This can be alot like an oil thread run wht you like if you want to pay $30+ evry time you change the filter go stock if not go K&N. Everyone will have an opinion and they differ greatly. I have over 114000 miles on my ST probably about 80K with the K&N all trouble free.

Considering that you can get the OEM filters on line for less that $30 dollars, and K&N filters run about $80 dollars with tax, then another $25 dollars for their cleaning kit & oil, this would mean the person using the oem filter could purchase approx 3 filters for the price of one K&N, not have to worry about quality control, or fitment issues, and end up with a superior filter that has been proven time and time again to filter better than the K&N. I don't see any major savings by going with the K&N filter, and I don't have to plan my air filter change, for cleaning, drying, oiling, fitting, etc. I simply drop in a clean dry oem filter and go riding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom