Kenwood programming ?

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I've read all the old posts, but this model isn't listed.

I was able to get my hands on a few Kenwood TK3230 radios. Label on the front says Protalk XLS. I HAVE GOOGLED and found that these can reportedly be reprogrammed for FRS/GMRS frequencies..according to some vendors that sell these radios. I also have read that the proper software is KPG-108D.

I can find my way around a PC pretty well, but am not as experienced with radios...other than using them.

I use an Autocom Active Plus with a Kenwood TK3131 which I like. A friend just sold his HD which I had installed an Active Plus on ( purchased from Keith) a few years ago. My friend gave the Autocom system to me this weekend and I'd like to install it on my sons new Versys so we can communicate.

Can any of you Kenwood programming gurus please steer me? We use channel 4 with privacy channel 2 (462.6375 - 71.9. According to the freq. chart on wiki)

Thanks for any that can help me through this. I will also have to buy the Kenwood interface Autocom cable as my friend used a Motorola that never worked correctly.

Shoot Mr Blrfl a PM.
IIRC he has some programming experience with some kenwood radios.

Yup, did that and also pm to Kieth. Both of those members have programing Kenwoods experience....this wil be great if it's possible. Got the radios very very cheap when a local business was getting rid of them.

The 3230 is field-programmable, but only to a selected set of frequencies, none of which overlap with GMRS or FRS. (The FCC started getting its shorts in a knot about the number of Part 90 radios that were being put onto other services, which is where that restriction came from.) I was able to find out that the 3230 is type accepted for Part 95, so it's probably programmable on GMRS with the software. I have the cable to program those radios but not the software, so your best bet might be to find a Kenwood dealer who can do it for you.

The radios are 16 channels, so you could put in the 15 standard ones from the Kenwood GMRS layout (or any other that you like better) and use the 16th for the one with the PL tone.

HTH.

--Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for the reply.
How hard is it to do the programming?
Was I correct on the software number?
What cable would be the right one, I see several USB ones on eBay?
Can you send me a link to a list of the Kenwood standard GMRS lineup? I assume that's how my Autocom/Kenwood TK3131 is programmed?

If I can get the software at a reasonable price and the procedure is not real difficult I'm willing to do that. My guess is I end up spending just as much to have a dealer reprogram three radios.

Last edited:
How hard is it to do the programming?
Was I correct on the software number?
What cable would be the right one, I see several USB ones on eBay?

Programming's easy, and yes, it's KPG-108D. The cable should be a KPG-22. The software's not easy to find, but these guys have it. If you're thinking the bootleg route (which I can't officially recommend), recent Kenwood software requires either a valid serial number or, in some cases, a hardware dongle before it will run.

Can you send me a link to a list of the Kenwood standard GMRS lineup? I assume that's how my Autocom/Kenwood TK3131 is programmed?

Sure: CLICKY

--Mark

Top Bottom