Key Cap

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
Odd Years
STOC #
Where does one get the cap that goes on the key that gets the head trimmed off that is popular for the glove box?

Assorted aerosol spray can caps
Radio Shack online knobs
Goldwing radio knob

That's what I used. Behead the key after it's been cut, insert stub into the knob, tighten the set screw, check for / adjust key length as needed so the knob sits close to the lock, and fill with epoxy. Job done.

I believe the length for the left side pocket differed from the length of the knobs on the saddlebags. Or maybe I just happened to have cut mine that way.

While emptying the three or four bottles of Glenfiddich that are needed to supply the materials makes this among the more expensive options, I gotta say I like it! How do you secure the key body to the cork? Or has the cork been removed and a slot cut in the underside of the cap, for epoxy or some other adhesive?

While emptying the three or four bottles of Glenfiddich that are needed to supply the materials makes this among the more expensive options, I gotta say I like it! How do you secure the key body to the cork? Or has the cork been removed and a slot cut in the underside of the cap, for epoxy or some other adhesive?
IIRC I just cut the cork flush, gouged out a slot for the key. Used gorilla glue, a vice for the key, and a clamp for the fob. Cheers!

Last edited:
I had one stubby key that operated both bags and the left side fairing cubby just in case one gets the impression one key can't do all three. In fact, I think it fit the gas cap as well.

One nice feature of this cap is you can lock the cut key into the cap with the set screw and . . . try it out before Epoxying it permanently. Adjustments can be made, if needed, before completing the project. I cut my key just a tiny bit long, locked it into the cap and inserted into the bike, then removed and filed it down a tiny bit more. I repeated the process until the cap sat just a whisker above the surface to ward off rain and dust and key stress, Epoxied, and let cure overnight. Voila . . . job complete.

Shuey

While this replace the whole mechanism?

Not sure what you mean by "mechanism". This is just a key with a more manageable knob on the end. The lock it goes into (side bags, glove box . . . whatever) remains the same. Maybe some pictures will help.

DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0004.JPG

Shuey

Last edited:
Use any metal knob, Nut covers (like the covers for large nuts on Harleys) work well, get a smaller one. Hollow out the knob as necessary, cut the key head to fit inside.
Epoxy the key in place.

@Shuey @Larry Fine @Slydynbye

Thanks for the reply. I was looking to replace the key portion on my left cowl pocket as the tumbler is worn out. Because the key won't even go in, a cover won't be very beneficial. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom