key code location on ignition switch?

Bike
STOC #
Where is the key code stamped on the ignition switch, for creating a key? I've taken the ignition off the bike (after considerable hassle), and have read a number that's stamped on the side of it to a locksmith, 6 numbers/letters long, and have been told that's not the correct number. I've taken the bottom plastic piece off with a security torx #10, but I found no numbers stamped there. Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Don't know off hand but the little aluminum tag that came with the oem keys should work for creating a new key.
Mine is 8 digits all numeric.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
STOC #
Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately I bought the bike used and never had one of those nifty little tags.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
...read a number that's stamped on the side of it to a locksmith, 6 numbers/letters long, and have been told that's not the correct number.
If the number reads MCS-L01 or something like it, that's the model and revision code that makes up part of the lock's part number (35100-MCS-L01).

Is there some reason you can't copy the key you're already using?

--Mark

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately I bought the bike used and never had one of those nifty little tags.
Same here. Went through this with previous bike and other vehicles, the worn key would make a copy that would be hit or miss, need to start off with a new key.
If the number is under the ignition switch we should be able to stop by a dealer and get a fresh key made, right?
Definitely the right place to start before making spare keys and key-knobs for panniers, fairing pocket, and gas tank.

OP
OP
Bike
STOC #
Thanks for all the replies. I couldn't copy the key because I lost it. Which is why I took off the ignition switch. (by the way this was the most useful thread here for helping me with this task. Didn't want to rez an old thread though.)

Turns out the number I had was the right one, but the locksmith just needed the last 3 digits. For whatever reason, the whole number didn't look up in his book. It took him 2 minutes to make the key after that and I'm all set again.

Also, I got told a bit of wrong information, outside these forums, along the route to getting this done, by several people (primarily that any code from any lock can be used to make an ignition key. Not true.) These forums were the most helpful information I found anywhere, so thanks very much for the help in these forums and maintaining them. The old posts really helped tremendously.

If the the ignition switch is already removed then just take it to the locksmith and they can make a new key by using a special tool to read the tumblers. I had to trailer my bike to the locksmith last year for that exact thing. I figured it was easier to trailer the bike there than it was to try and remove the ignition switch.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If the the ignition switch is already removed then just take it to the locksmith and they can make a new key by using a special tool to read the tumblers.
You might call ahead and see if they have the ILCO X265 HD109 blank available after they get the code. And maybe have a copy of your registration? Not that it's a legal requirement but if I were in the business I'd want to know the key isn't for an ignition from a stolen bike. (I know: nobody steals STs.)

Top Bottom