Keyless ignition

OP
OP
Tcmcnomad
I can't find this anywhere, have you done this? Do you have a spotwalla link?
You won't find any information about it because the wording for it is very specific "the iron butt association will not certify rides OVER 1800 miles in 24 hours" the only person that I know of to have publicly laid claim to a blackout is Paul Pelard. Because the milage was OVER 1800 (legally) they issued a certificate w the mileage blacked out (hence the name)
I found out about them when talking to the certifier about my first bun burner gold. ( Finished under 20 hours which would have been on Pace for an 1800 had I kept going ) ever since then it's been a dream of mine to head West (where I can be done legally) and pull one off.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
you want to; bypass the key-> flip the engine power on-> press starter button... Check out this video and see if its what your thinking.
"...run them over the sensor and it turns your bike on. Run them over the sensor again it will turn your bike off."

No. You might just as well use the factory keyed ignition. What I want is to walk up to the bike > press the Starter button and the bike starts. Or walk up to and get on the bike > press the starter button > ride off. Get where I'm going > hit the Kill switch and get off the bike. This doesn't do what I would want.

There's a bit more to work out but the gist is – without the functionality I want it would be a non-starter. :)

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
"...run them over the sensor and it turns your bike on. Run them over the sensor again it will turn your bike off."

No. You might just as well use the factory keyed ignition. What I want is to walk up to the bike > press the Starter button and the bike starts. Or walk up to and get on the bike > press the starter button > ride off. Get where I'm going > hit the Kill switch and get off the bike. This doesn't do what I would want.

There's a bit more to work out but the gist is – without the functionality I want it would be a non-starter. :)
I think that’s called a BMW. :)

Bike
2005 st1300
I think that’s called a BMW. :)
Actually, one can apply that tech to any bike with an RFID kit. When I installed my system, I used a bluetooth module to "light" the bike, but I stated in that thread that if I were to do it over, I would have got one of those RFID systems. I used my phone to turn on the bike, but with the RFID kit, you just approach the bike with the fob in your pocket and turn it on, like millions of vehicles on the road today. On mine, I just put my phone in the cradle/mount and an NFC tag detected the phone and turned the ignition on. Same end result, just a different way of doing it.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The BMW Keyless Ride is a little different, yes it does have what's talking about in this thread about starting the bike. Just have the fob with you and you push the main button to turn on the electronics then the start button like any other bike.

The nice thing is this also works for the gas cap, just flip the little lever and it will open if your key fob is nearby, I thought that all was a bit of a gimmick but after having it for a while, it's really nice. I've bent a few keys on the Yamahas I had switching keys from ignition to gas cap and back, I never tried the key knob mod some do for ST1300 saddlebags.

OP
OP
Tcmcnomad
ive bent a few keys on the Yamahas I had switching keys from ignition to gas cap and back said:
The gas cap is an easy fix I use a keyless gas cap system that was for CBR cost me 34 bucks perfect seal looks good and it lays flat underneath my tank bag which is why the short keys won't work

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
All these last few posts are just what I have so I know what you all are talking about. I just walk up to the bike and push a button and turn a knob to turn on the bike. I then push the starter and off I go. No key to insert. I turn that same knob to the right and gas door opens... still no key. I also wasn't certain I'd like it but after using it for over a year I do really like it. If that functionality can be added to any bike that doesn't have it and still be secure then that would make a great farkle IMO.

When I stop for gas I turn the knob to the right to turn off the engine and open the gas door. When done I just turn the knob back to center and start the bike again without any more actions needed.

Bike
2005 st1300
All these last few posts are just what I have so I know what you all are talking about. I just walk up to the bike and push a button and turn a knob to turn on the bike. I then push the starter and off I go. No key to insert. I turn that same knob to the right and gas door opens... still no key. I also wasn't certain I'd like it but after using it for over a year I do really like it. If that functionality can be added to any bike that doesn't have it and still be secure then that would make a great farkle IMO.

When I stop for gas I turn the knob to the right to turn off the engine and open the gas door. When done I just turn the knob back to center and start the bike again without any more actions needed.
The gist of the keyless ignition is correct, depending on the type of system you go with, but I think you may have misinterpreted the "keyless" gas cap that @Tcmcnomad referenced. I took it to mean a manual gas cap that screws in... No keyless or digital manipulation and no lock. The keyless cap that @Mellow referenced is an actual electric/digital locking cap that comes on his BMW from the factory. I have never heard of such a locking cap for an ST

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
No, I got that as one of the possibilities of a keyless gas cap (the old style that was non-tech with no cover, locking or not). While I do turn the knob on my bike to momentary position to open the gas cap cover, the actual gas cap is simply a quarter turn to remove it. Like on my Rav4 and Legacy, those gas caps are just screw in with no key needed but behind a locking cover that a lever next to the driver seat opens. Prevents gas theft but is easy to get to without a key. Once the bike is "turned on" the fob is no longer needed to do anything more. It is one implementation of a keyless system out of many. My ST1100 required me to insert the key someplace to open that cover and then the gas cap unscrewed. My CTX1300 was the same as was my GL1500.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I changed out the gas cap locks on my ST1100s with a push button.
I figure if someone really wants to steal your gas, a little fiberglass lid is not going to stop them.
It makes to nice to fill up as I do not have to remove the key from the ignition.
And with my police switches that allow me turn off the lights, I seldom turn the ignition off.
I can fill up the bike and never get off which makes for a really quick fuel stop if needed.

OP
OP
Tcmcnomad
The gist of the keyless ignition is correct, depending on the type of system you go with, but I think you may have misinterpreted the "keyless" gas cap that @Tcmcnomad referenced. I took it to mean a manual gas cap that screws in... No keyless or digital manipulation and no lock. The keyless cap that @Mellow referenced is an actual electric/digital locking cap that comes on his BMW from the factory. I have never heard of such a locking cap for an ST
Here is the keyless cap on my ST. I just turn the red piece 1/4 turn and it comes out.
IMG_20230201_130659920.jpg

I have a 2015 Concous with key and fob ignition. When I get off I take the key with me cause I know some crack head will see the key in the ignition, try to start it and break the key off. The key is needed to open the trunk , side storage and fuel cap anyway . I personally don't much care for it. But the bike is fun.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Please share details. I hate the gas cap cover lock.
Got them on EBay a few years ago -

1676580220045.png

Then I had to fab up a little latch because the black button did not extend enough to catch on the fuel latch.
They come with some 'spring metal' so I cut a base out of aluminum then attached the spring metal to the base and the base to replace the original curved metal latch. Then the issue was getting the lid up when you pushed the button.
I finally had my former company make me up some stainless steel finger hooks the bolted right under the push button.
Next time we are at the same event, I can show you as I have them on all of my ST1100s.
Well worth the effort even if you do get off for a fill up!

Bike
2005 st1300
I will go ahead and ask. That whole handlebar set up does not look familiar at all. Can't see much but I don't believe that's the hellibar setup and that switch pod is not ST1300. Can you share some specifics? It looks like a cruise control setup on the throttle side, yes? Interesting

Top Bottom