Latest scam - SD memory cards

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The latest scam hitting the shelves, improperly chipped SD cards.

For instance: selling 512gb cards that are really only 16 gb (more or less)

Sellers are hitting Amazon, eBay and Wish with these cards. Have not heard of any in BM stores, but I'm sure it will at somepoint.

The memory controller on these cards has been programmed to think it is and has 512gb of available memory to use.

If you format the card, if you quick format, full format, on any device, it will look like it's a fully available 512gb card, because the chips controller really thinks it is.

The directory structure will hold 512gb worth of files it thinks it has.

In reality, the memory chips aren't there and the data (once the chips are full) is getting dumped into null space.

If you think buying a name brand helps, it may not. The scammers are screenprinting the memory cards to look just like the real name-brand ones.

Use a program like h2testw to test the actual memory.

Also, WARNING! If you buy a multi gig card and you have a usb 2.0 reader, it may take awhile. Just be prepared.

Last edited:
++++++ NOTE:
I have edited this (my original) reply, as it was suggested that my original reply might appear to downplay the original posting.
++++++ END NOTE

This is good information for the average consumer out there, and especially for those who are "new" to buying storage devices (for things like digital cameras, security cameras, laptops, and so on), such as SSD's and SD cards (in all their form). There are many different types of products (not just "computer related" products) that are forgeries designed to dupe people out of their hard-earned cash. All folks should be reminded every now and then (as this original post has) of these sorts of scams.

It should be noted that this "SD scam" is nothing "new" or recent [1]. This has been going on for nine+ years as it relates to SD type cards ... and even longer for traditional mechanical hard drives. The same goes for video cards, memory modules, cameras, and to include many "popular electronic" devices.

[1] Here's an article from 2011, about "scam-o-matic" software, used to determine if you have a scammed SD card, back when 4GiB cards where "huge".
https://hackaday.com/2011/12/07/scam-o-matic-determines-if-you-bought-fake-sd-cards/

Sidenote: I've been a software engineer for almost 40 years, so I'm always on top of current technology, whether good or bad - this is in contrast to the average consumer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
This is nothing new or recent.

This has been going on for nine+ years ...
Guess we run in different circles. In the last decade I have not heard of this. All the friends and colleagues I've shared it with were also in the dark.

I've bought dozens of memory cards and never had a fake one, until now.

Where was the warning posted? Some of us don't know and maybe you can shed some light on the future?? I might be described as a bit of technological caveman.

Where was the warning posted? Some of us don't know and maybe you can shed some light on the future?
The average consumer does not "keep up" with technology news, so there is no "one source" where you can go to find this sort of information. The way one would keep up with this is to read the "technology section" or your favorite news feed, and of course, you'll have to sift through other various technology articles.

BTW - I edited my original post.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Anyone know where to get that testing tool?

Once obtained, one should run it on a computer with the SD card plugged into that computer? (Or with the SD card in a card reader that is plugged into a USB port?)

- Yet another cave man

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Use a program like h2testw to test the actual memory.
Do you happen to know of an equivalent Mac program to do the same?

Amazon is a clearing house for counterfeit products. The same thing has been going on with some thumb drives and even an M.2 drive.

I very rarely buy computer or phone kit from an Amazon store front seller. It's too easy to stumble on a third-party that sells either fraudulent or counterfeit stock. At least if it's 'shipped and sold by Amazon' you'll almost always get a refund. I say 'almost' but it's more always though somebody will no doubt chime in with a 'don't be so sure' story.

The average consumer does not "keep up" with technology news, so there is no "one source" where you can go to find this sort of information.
The corollary to that is there is no "one source" so the consumer has no where to go to find the technology news that's accurate and not too-techy and wholly appropriate for them.

Understandably the average consumer wouldn't want to go to arstechnica or similar where cutting edge intel might be available. Mainstream media is much slower to report and often gets things wrong going for the sound byte.

I haunt a few tech sites mostly Mac/Apple centric but I miss stuff. It happens. I just don't tell anyone. :rofl1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There are several places that have the software but a lot of them like SoftPedia should be avoided. They'll often put adware with or even into the app you want and the next thing you know you've got adware or malware.

The author is at https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539 . I'm not very PC so I would know a safe enough site to recommend. But if I needed it I'd look to a camera or similar site with a good rep that turns up in a search.

It probably just writes files to the suspect card and compares what it sent to what the card says it got somehow ignoring the fake partition table. So it shouldn't matter if you use the PC's slot or a reader plugged into it. Just keep Bob's USB 2.0 comment in mind.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Fake SD cards have been around for a while... I don't buy those with ink-printed labelling, kinda stick to name brand with stick-on labels and come in those annoying security packaging.... however, I have had fake Sandisks... lower cost ones faked as the high speed ones. Samsung cards so far so good. Online sources can be iffy.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Should I be concerned that disks labelled "double sided, double density" might actually be single sided disks? Michael
Yes. it's a very serious concern. I'd recommend you use the 5 1/4 floppy or better yet, the 8" ones, much more reliable and they're on sale now at Bestbuy

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Old news... I'm genuine suspicious on low price offers... rather stick to brands, less headache... (whilst I did have a 164GB SanDisk in my phone that fried after >1 year...)

Bike
2010 ST1300
The average consumer does not "keep up" with technology news, so there is no "one source" where you can go to find this sort of information.
Do you know if computer 'superstores' like MicroCenter test the memory devices they sell? I have no doubt that my local MC computer store would take one back if I found said SD card was one of those fake ones, but are they as negligent as Amazon?

How about a comparable testing app for Mac platforms?

Do you know if computer 'superstores' like MicroCenter test the memory devices they sell? I have no doubt that my local MC computer store would take one back if I found said SD card was one of those fake ones, but are they as negligent as Amazon?

How about a comparable testing app for Mac platforms?
We have a Micro Center just under 50 miles away - undoubtedly, my favorite computer "toy store" - I buy all my gear there. Order online and the order is ready within 30 minutes for pickup. I build all my desktops, and surprisingly, MC stocks all the components I choose.

Do they "pre-test" the memory devices [before they go on the shelf]? I highly doubt it, as they'd have to open the original packaging to test ALL the variations of cards and such. (I would never buy something where the factory seal was broken). It's just as easy for them to simply exchange the defective piece.

However - maybe when you place the order, you could request they check the card, prior to walking out the store? Not sure.

Test software for Mac? Try this link - pretty informative and suggests software
(they go into the different types of "fakes")
https://photographylife.com/fake-memory-cards
Might also check this software
http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/
Which is discussed in this YouTube:

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Bezos should be in jail for what he allows unmonitored third party sellers to sell. Same-o for Fleabay and walmart.com. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same 3rd party sellers.

I find these guys to be super high integrity and use them in all cases where they have what I need...

B&H Photo

With their store credit card, you can even get sales tax refunded. I just bought a MacBook Air from them. In addition to getting a better price than I found elsewhere, the sales tax savings was about $70.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
For Mac users there's F3X. Based on F3 it has a UI for anybody who doesn't want to do command line/terminal voodoo hullabaloo. Scroll down on the left side to below the F3X sample window to Download. Note the instructions below Download:

Usage instructions
To test a SD card, make sure It's inserted, select It and click "Start Test". The test can take several minutes depending on the size and speed of your card.

That's it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I find these guys to be super high integrity and use them in all cases where they have what I need...

B&H Photo
I use B&H and Adorama for larger or more expensive items. B&H is always first up because of the instant rebate but sometimes Adorama has something the other doesn't. For for cheaper fair I take my chances and educated guesses with Amazon. Often free shipping offsets sales tax on cheaper items.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Micro SD cards fit into cellular telephones, which can download applications.

Anyone know of an "app" that can test whether the micro SD card in the phone is legitimate?

Micro SD cards fit into cellular telephones, which can download applications.

Anyone know of an "app" that can test whether the micro SD card in the phone is legitimate?
You didn't mention the smartphone OS you're using (Android or iOS) ... but you can use a search term:

android app to check fake sd card
... or
ios app to check fake sd card
... you'll get results

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes. it's a very serious concern. I'd recommend you use the 5 1/4 floppy or better yet, the 8" ones, much more reliable and they're on sale now at Bestbuy
Oh good, I can get some more 8" ones for my KayPro II!

Top Bottom