Leg cramps solution???

Bike
2007 ST1300
Having just attained the official O.L.D. age of six decades plus 2 I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue?
(not the AGE issue, haha)

I love to camp, only problem besides that pesky rain is when I get up in the morning I'm very prone to leg cramps, especially that big guy that runs the inside of your thigh. Makes it difficult to get dressed and out of the tent. I often take ibuprofen to ease them but wondering if anyone else has a way to prevent them without popping pills.

I've also been told this is a mineral problem or dehydration.....??

Any ideas appreciated

Jan....

Increase your potasium some maybe drink some gatorade. I try to eat a banana to get a bit of potasium. Well these things work for me maybe someone will have a more scientific approach.

I agree...I am 65 and eat a banana everyday and drink a pint of orange juice (the real stuff). It helps with the potaassium and vitamin C levels tremendously.

Mexican food... yes sir-rie... Avocados and Beans have very high levels.. .and you get the secondary benefit of being launched out of your tent in the morning... especially if you smoke.

Mexican food... yes sir-rie... Avocados and Beans have very high levels.. .and you get the secondary benefit of being launched out of your tent in the morning... especially if you smoke.

Earlier launching avalible/possible/likely if your wife is with you...

Talk with your doctor and get a blood draw to establish your current potassium level and then ask for a script if needed. If you are suffering from low potassium a full day in a hot saddle will stress that muscle and leech minerals from the body. One important thing to learn is WHEN to take the supplement. You and your doctor may determine it's best to take half in the morning with breakfast and then half before bed to stop that early morning cramp. That's what I do, and when I know I'm sweating a lot (like now in hot summer weather) I'm usually better off to take an extra half dose at bedtime to be sure to avoid the cramp.

If you are taking any diuretics (Furesomide, HCT, etc. etc) then you have to be very aware that those meds will leech potassium much more quickly.

Good luck with it.

Again talk with your doctor.

But one of the old fashioned cures that works when all else fails is the drug Quinine.

The FDA has pulled the "chicken switch" on quinine reguarding its possible side effects.

But if a person always worried about possible side effects one would NEVER take any pill.

Fact: It works when other drugs fail.

But again consult your doctor!!!!!!!!!

Hydrate and potasium. Nanner, gatoraid, oj with potasium and calcium.
Not a big fan of suppliments unless yah need em uptake is better with food.

Get your quinine the proper way... gin and tonic :)

A simple solution that worked for me before/during/after white water rafting trips was to just eat bananas, as others have said. We are about the same age and if you're in good health otherwise, I'd try this simple inexpensive, less time consuming method first. From what I've read, and as others have stated, it's low Potassium that's the culprit. Bananas were a convenient solution when camping for me and I like 'em. Other sources have been listed here to suit your palate.

My wife suffered leg cramp and was told to drink tonic water before bed as it contains quinine this helps her a lot, and as has been mentioned goes well with Gin.

I'm in the banana camp, although Joe's solution sounds like it has possibilities as well. Too bad I read his post while I was trying to eat lunch!

John

I am also 62 and never had leg cramps until I recently got my ST1300. I have been riding for almost 50 years and this is new for me. I believe it has something to do with the stock seat because I get the cramps in the inner rear of my thigh only after a day of a few hours or more of riding time. I sent my seat to Spencer today to get it reworked. I really hopes this solves the problem.

AL

I get cramps in the summer when I sweat a lot so I take salt tablets when I work outside. I don't think you can do that if you have high blood pressure though.

:plus1: on eating bananas. I eat one every day. Besides the bananas and staying hydrated, you might try drinking some apple cider vinegar slightly diluted with water when experiencing the cramps as it will make them go away faster.

I am also 62 and never had leg cramps until I recently got my ST1300. I have been riding for almost 50 years and this is new for me. I believe it has something to do with the stock seat because I get the cramps in the inner rear of my thigh only after a day of a few hours or more of riding time. I sent my seat to Spencer today to get it reworked. I really hopes this solves the problem.

AL

I think it is because of the ST stock seat is rather wide which splays out the riders legs and hip more than other bikes. Also the distance between the seat and the foot peg can be a source for knee cramps. The further it is the more comfortable it is. For me, when I lowered the seat by Spencer, I reduced that distance and took on a new dose of knee pain. I fixed that by lowering the ST and set the seat up higher.
Kenny

Like said bananas when you get gas from them that is when your system is fully charged of potasium. To much salt will cause cramps. The ST seat supports only the butt not the hamsring area. That is why the Russel Day Long seat is the most popular due to its support. Do some hamstring stretches before you go to bed also if you can sleep with a pillow under the back side of your knees. Roll your coat or a blanket. I have found on this bike if my knees are 2 too 3 inches lower then my hips while riding helps with muscle fatigue.
Paul

My wife got me some OTC cramp pills at CVS. I just looked at the label & potassium isn't one of the ingredients. They do work if I can remember to take them. Drinking lots of water helps also, as has been mentioned.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Nanners are good, get mashed in the cases though :)> Wonder if dry banana chips would work... I'll check for the OTC stuff, and talk to the Dr. next appointment....

Back
Top Bottom