LiFePo battery discounts??

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
My last lead acid battery only lasted 5 months so I am about to pull the trigger on a LiFePo battery. I have narrowed my choices down to Antigravity or Scorpion Stinger. Are there any discounts that you know of or do they ever go "on sale"? I ask because if they do periodically go on sale I can wait until such a sale comes. But if they never do then I will just go ahead and bite the bullet and pay full price for one.

Also, for those who have experience with these batteries, which do you think is better? Scorpion or Antigravity?

Thanks in advance!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I suggest you read the lithium battery posts elsewhere on the website. We (members) seem to have differing opinions whether a lithium or lead acid makes the most sense. I have a Shorai and think I probably should have gone with the Yuasa OEM.

For sure, going Lithium will shed pounds from the bike, (and also your wallet), enabling you to accelerate faster.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
So far, my $88 AGM battery from Walmart has sat through three winters, outdoors under a cover, with no charger or maintainer, and started up the bike each spring as if it had been ridden the day before.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I went 7 years one the first one and I'm on 3 years onto the 2nd one. -LiFePO4
Out of curiosity, I took the 10 year old battery a couple weeks ago and checked the voltage. It was 10.2 volts. It's been sitting 3 years. Then for the halibut, put it on a regular 3 amp charger , and in 10 minutes, the charger indicated a full charge and was on the maintenance light.
Checking the volts on it, reading 13.9v. Huh? More curiosity.. put it on the bike and it started! What?
Rode around a couple hours with the 10 years old battery. Whoa? ---

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Every vehicle that has ever given me battery life issues has had some issue causing it! Unless there is some abusive use of the battery, I'd say you have an issue. I get at least 5yrs from any lead acid, properly cared for. Not that the new technology is bad, just don't kid yourself that it will correct an existing problem.

RT

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have the Antigravity battery in all three of my bikes and the Honda ST has been in service now for over 8 years now and the bike has over 219,000 miles on it. I think they are worth the money. Antigravity does put them on sale every so often and that is when I picked up my last two for the Yamaha ST and my Suzuki DR650.

OP
OP
STumped

STumped

Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I have the Antigravity battery in all three of my bikes and the Honda ST has been in service now for over 8 years now and the bike has over 219,000 miles on it. I think they are worth the money. Antigravity does put them on sale every so often and that is when I picked up my last two for the Yamaha ST and my Suzuki DR650.
Thanks, Mike. Which model do you have for the ST? Also, I have seen the Antigravity at a few different vendors, where would I see it on sale and how much of a discount?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

The Cheese

I think Antigravity does have a sale every now and again. Quarterly? I have a jump pack from them and am really impressed.

I would like to point out that a new battery should not die in only 5 months. I'm sure you know that already. Did you do something horrible to it?

I looked up the battery for an 1100. YIKES! ~$250 shipped!?!? On top of that I have to buy a new charger too. Another $85 for the one they recommend. My ~$68 Yuasa is looking pretty dang good. I can replace mine 6 times for that cost. Their battery would have to last 30 years to pay off. Not likely.

Reactions: Djc
OP
OP
STumped

STumped

Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I would like to point out that a new battery should not die in only 5 months. I'm sure you know that already. Did you do something horrible to it?
It was a cheap battery that replaced the previous cheap one that only lasted one year. I didn't do anything to it except to live in a place that had about 90 straight days with highs over 100 degrees. :eek:

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Scorpion Li in my Monster and KLR 4 years, MMG Li in my ST13 for 4 years. All excellent. The bikes start better than ever. BUT, always remember that Li have 1/3 the capacity of AGM. This means that parasitic draw will drain the battery 3x quicker, and a dead Li battery is a ruined battery. No parasitic draw as with the KLR, no worries. Both the Monster and the ST have ECU, clocks, gauges that require constant current. The ST will drain the MMG to 10v in two weeks. I just switch a Li specific charger between the two weekly in the off season. The Harley has an AGM, there is no reason to get Li on that thing. Huge parasitic draw and the weight saving on a 851 lb. bike is academic.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
So far, my $88 AGM battery from Walmart has sat through three winters, outdoors under a cover, with no charger or maintainer, and started up the bike each spring as if it had been ridden the day before.
I wish to apologize: I recently checked, and this is the third winter coming now.

Top Bottom